Monday, July 31, 2023

Magical Deer And Comforts Of Home

The other day, I was driving around trying to find some beauty in this mountain town, so I could be close to nature.  I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, so I started to drive home.  Then, I saw it.....I made a swift turn to the left off the highway onto a street where a little house was and stopped.  There she was, just standing in the front yard of someone's house.



She didn't run away, and didn't seem to be afraid at all.  Most of the deer that I come across get startled when they see my camera, but not her.  She just kept munching on the greenery in the front yard.



She danced this way and that way.



She scratched herself.



She stuck out her tongue.



And it even looked like she was laughing.



Then, she looked over, and just stared at me.



It was like she was a magical deer, and she was so close I could almost reach out and touch her.  To think that I was trying to search for beauty in nature, when really, nature always comes to us.



When me and Nel and Jess went shopping at Home Goods one day, Nel found lots of items, and one of them was a pie plate with cherries on it.  The other day, Nel made a cherry pie and used the pie plate she bought.









I found some Starbuck's cinnamon coffee at the store and had to get some.  The cashier, S, said that a man liked it so much that he came back and bought four more bags.



I made some delicious steaks one night.  They were so tender that the meat seemed to fall apart when cleaning it.



I went to see A. at the Home Shop and bought a couple things - a tin of green tea and a chocolate huckleberry bar.  My oldest brother used to tell me about the benefits of green tea, and I've been drinking it ever since.



I also bought two bowls, which are pretty good size, to use when I make popcorn.  Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks, and I make it the old fashioned way on the stove with melted butter and salt.



Jess and Brian and Francesca took a trip to Hawaii before the school year starts.  I'll try to share more of that later.



She sent some goodies home to her brother, which I've enjoyed as well.  ; )



It's nice when we can do a little shopping and treat ourselves once in awhile....all for the comforts of home.



Francesca sent Uncle b a picture she drew - it's of him and her surfing the waves together.  And Mia sang a tune and played the guitar on a little video for uncle b.  It was the cutest thing.  A gift from a child is the most special of all.





Lastly, a couple months ago, Nel lost their cat, Cleo.  They were devastated.  But the mama had more kittens, and Nel decided to get another one for Mia.  All the other kittens were kind of crazy, but this one was so snuggly and loving.  They named him Luca.  Disney's Luca is one of their favorite movies, and they just went to Italy this year.  Luca means "bringer of light" in Italian, and Nel said he definitely brought light to their family after losing Cleo.  I'd like to you meet Luca.





  ~Sheri

30 comments:

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

What a wonderful post today, Sheri! The magical deer knew you were looking and provided joy to you and now to us! Your photos and commentary are perfect matches to them. Love your new oven mittens---Pioneer Woman makes items in such happy colors. Glad to hear you are enjoying green tea. I have it in the afternoons occassionaly. How darling that sweet little Luca is! I'm so glad they were able to get another pet. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of their pet---they are members of our families! Loved visiting with you today. Have a great afternoon.

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

Lovely animals;-)

Estelle's said...

Sheri...what a delightful post...I love reading and seeing tidbits of every day life....to see a beautiful deer, is indeed magical in my book...and how Little Luca...what a precious...thank you so much for sharing today! Big Hugs!

Jeanie said...

This post is perfection, Sheri. I love how you wanted to find beauty in nature -- and you did. That deer -- it's almost like a spirit animal, just waiting for you.

Those oven mitts are wonderful and I loved seeing the photos of Luca, the grand girls, those popcorn balls. Your slice of life is simply wonderful today. Thanks for this bright bit of light!

Billie Jo said...

Hello, my friend! I so enjoyed your post today. The doe is beautiful. And you are right. So often, nature will come to us. Your coffee sounds delicious. Have you ever tried the Starbucks creamer of the same flavor? It is delicious! The cherry pie looks perfect, and the little ones? Adorable. Your posts are always so cozy. My favorite! Have a nice afternoon!

Billie Jo said...

Forgot to mention. I love your new font!

Hena Tayeb said...

Oh that snow cone.. my kids would go wild over it. We just bought a little shaved ice machine and they love it.
Beautiful deer.. ours have gotten quite comfortable around us and will approach the patio area even when we are on it.. as long as well don't make any sudden movements or loud noises.

LoveT. said...

I always love it to read your Posts. The Cherry Pie look delicious. Your July seems fantastic. Have a great Start in a wonderful August Sheri.

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh Sheri what a great post...love your photos of the magical deer. Perhaps she is almost tame because some human took care of her for a time...amazing she just allowed you all those wonderful photos. Your hummingbird is so beautiful...it is certainly a different type than what we have here...Mia is adorable and she looks like she may go onto stardom :)! Look out Hollywood!!
I love Mary Engelbreit's art work. She has a way of making us smile even when we do not feel like it! Speaking of art work...looks like someone is very talented...is that you grandma in the picture? Glad to meet Luca. What a great name. At one time I had five cats that lived with us plus three dogs...whew did the fur ever fly. Now I am down to one old kitty who lives in the laundry and furnace room. He is so old...18 I believe. Will be looking forward to hearing about Hawaii. Hugs!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Luca is adorable! How old is he? I am glad she has another kitty The surfing drawing is such a happy one! Now I want that coffee, and I just got back from the grocery store. You got awesome pics of the deer's facial expressions!!! How amazing. And also the
Hummingbird. They are hard to snap, as they are almost never still.

Susan Kane said...

A delightful post. Cherry pie? Sounds delicious.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Lots of things happening. The kitten is so cute! I try to switch up my coffee with green tea sometimes but...I just love my morning coffee.

Carla from The River said...

Hi Sheri,
Oh I loved how you capture the deer. I also appreciated how you wrote about the deer.
And as always I enjoy reading about your family.
Love and Prayers,
Carla

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Gifts from kids are precious.
Luca is gorgeous!
The deer was posing for you. Great pictures. Laughing Deer, is a good name.

Marilyn Miller said...

What a cute kitten! The cherry pie plate is also so cute, especially with a yummy pie in it.
Your deer adventure was indeed magical.
Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks too. My cat loves when I share with him. I make the old-fashion way too, but avoid butter.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Sheri,
So sad that Nel lost Cleo...
Your deer encounter was stunning!
Hugs,
Mariette

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Hi Sheri,
Loved your post. I am sorry about Cleo, but Luca seems to be doing well. Hawaii sounds like a wonderful place to go. Love the shaved ice too! We have deer here. There were twins this year. So fun to see on my walk in the morning. All your treats look so yummy! Enjoy!

Veronica Lee said...

I think that lovely deer can sense that you are a kind person and would not harm her.
So sorry Nel lost Cleo.
Your cherry pie looks divine!


Hugs and blessings 🌹

Chatty Crone said...

I don't know how you do it - but I always love your posts and think they are so interesting.
I love how you took the time to sit and watch the deer - I am glad he didn't run away - you got some precious picks of him - love him itching his nose.
Where was the hummingbird at?
The pie plate was pretty and the pie looked pretty good too! Homemade. Yum.
The steak and potatoes and broccoli was great - cooking it all together.
I am not sure what a huckleberry is. Love green tea.
So your other daughter went to Hawaii - you girls like to travel - very sweet how they remembered their uncle. Pictures and music too.
Also I didn't know their cat died - glad they got another one.
Have a nice day.
Loved this.

Pam said...

The loss of a member of the family (feline) is hard. I love all my babes and it hurts. Sorry but I love the face of that cutie. Deer, I love seeing them out and about but not been too happy over them eating my plants. I ended up having to move my potted plants back inside the fence to keep them from being a deer's meal! Mrs Doe ate a lot of my potted sedum, but once I moved it back in the backyard, it started striving and coming back. Great pics.

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Es raro el comportamiento de esa cierva, parecería como si estuviera domesticado.

Me encanta ese precioso gato. Se siente mucho la muerte de un animal doméstico.

DeniseinVA said...

Always love your posts Sheri. That’s a pretty photo of Francesca with her sunglasses and shaved ice. And an adorable one of Mia with her guitar. “A gift from a child is the most special of all.” So true! Gorgeous deer photos and a magical one of the hummingbird. Yummy food! And a great combination of goodies from the Islands. Also, always good to treat ourselves and I enjoyed looking at your purchases. So sorry about Cleo. Luca looks like an adorable little kitten and Cleo will always be in all your hearts but Luca will do her part. Happy August to you all.

Debby said...

Finally, I am getting around to your post - I read it on my phone but Blogger won't let me comment so I have to use the desktop to make all my comments now. I hate to hear of someone losing their beloved cat - I know how hard that can be. But the new kitten sure is a cutie. I hope it brings them all joy. Your meal looks yummy. Who doesn't like steak and potatoes? Hey, popcorn is my favorite "salty" snack as well. It also was my mom's so we had it all the time when I lived at home as a kid. The photos of the deer are so precious - such sweet creatures.
I hope you are enjoying your summer. Once I flip that calendar to August I am thrilled to know that Sept is on the other side and that makes me excited and happy.

Patricia said...

Hi Sheri, I am just getting back into blogging, and what a beautiful experience you had with the sweet deer. I always think they look graceful and elegant. There are some in the bush in our area, and occasionally we see them. I love that cherry pie plate - I would have bought it too! And I also love cherry pie. Must be time to make another one, it looks so delicious. I love the drawing: your grand-girls are growing up fast. Have a great weekend.

DeniseinVA said...

Hello Sheri, I am back to thank you for all your lovely comments and to answer your question. Yes, we have thunderstorms in our area and have not two minutes ago read that we are under flash flood warnings. We are in the northern part of Virginia so sounds like heavy rain is on the way. Enjoy the rest of your day and have a wonderful week ahead :)

ashok said...

Lovely to live among deers

Donna said...

What a sweet deer!
And that pie looks delicious...and love the drawings!
Happy week!
hugs
Donna

MELODY JACOB said...

This is beautiful and the pie looks delicious.
www.melodyjacob.com

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How amazing to get to see that deer up close! And the pie does look very yummy. I know your kids and grandkids are having a great summer and that's always fun for us too. I love family photos!

Louca por porcelana said...

Adorable post as ever!