Monday, July 17, 2023

Some Summer

It was pretty warm here this last weekend, but it's supposed to be in the 90's this week and through the month.  There is a cactus flower at the creek that comes only in the Summer months, and it's dry and not particularly attractive, but when it blooms, it's unusually pretty with a vibrant red tip.  Every season, I drive through the coffee shop and get a specialty drink.  Summer is here, so it was time for a treat.  After looking at all the different blends, I was drawn to the pumpkin spice latte, and I guess I've been thinking of Fall, so that's what I got.  There is a huge pine tree that sits next to the coffee shop, and it looks like one very tall Christmas tree, when actually there are three snuggled together.  Afterwards, I parked and enjoyed my coffee, and I'm still amazed with the view right in front of me, Mount Shasta.  It still glistens with snow even in the Summer, and I rarely see the mountain without it.  My neighbor brought over what she called 'South of the Border Shrimp Cocktail.'  I didn't get a picture, but it was tasty.  She's always bringing over goodies, and she's there if I ever have any mountain questions haha.  I do believe they are the best neighbors I've had in all the houses I've lived in.  All the men in my family are good cooks, my son, sons-in-law, brothers, brothers-in-law.  My son cooked some shrimp one night with his own special buttery sauce, and I made some pineapple bacon sausages, and it was all delicious.  Jess had a huge beehive in their attic!  And with it came fresh honeycomb.  Her family went to the Santa Barbara Zoo, and Francesca had fun looking around at all the exotic animals.  If you ever visit California, the San Diego Zoo is a really neat one also.  Nel and her family took a trip to Italy and just returned home.  They had a great time, and Mia got to travel to Europe at the young age of 4.  Her favorite thing was the gelato, and she learned a new word, grazie, (thank you).  Well, that's a splash of our Summer, and this will be a photo filled post today.



































Summertime.  Not my favorite season, too hot and dry, and with that is the concern of wildfires, but none have been reported in the area so far.  The pines and the lakes are so pretty here, and are filled from all the rain we got this year.  I recently got a chance to go to a nearby lake when my brother-in-law from my hometown visited for the day.  We got burgers and cokes and drove to the lake, and it was a nice outing.  For the kids, Summer is a time to rejoice and be free.  To have time off from the rules of school, and to play like the carefree, barefoot children they are meant to be.

  Brian making homemade ice cream with the kids.



~Sheri

23 comments:

R's Rue said...

What a beautiful life you share with us.

Hena Tayeb said...

Wonderful to hear about Nel's travels.. it's a great experience for kids to start travelling at a young age and learn about the different people, cultures, foods and ways of life.
Good neighbors are hard to come by.. you are blessed.

LoveT. said...

Your Summer sounds fine and very delicious. I enjoy the wonderful Photos. Have a great Day!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

You are having a great summer. Homemade ice cream is the best! And the views! Perfect for relaxing

Ginny Hartzler said...

Our granddaughter just got back from Europe, and HER favorite thing about it was the Gelato, too!! The food looks so yummy! I did not know you can get any kind of pumpkin spice drink in the summer!

Chatty Crone said...

Lots of things to say here -
It is in the 95 degree area around here this week - I do not like it hot.
The cactus flower with the red tip is pretty.
So I thought you were in the mountains - how do you get so hot and cactus flowers?
I am with Ginny - pumpkin latte - I thought that would be in October!
I am so glad you have a good friend up there that makes food for you - so sweet.
So the beehive - did they have to have someone come and remove it? That is kind of scary.
The zoo looked so much fun - I remember those days with the kids.
And I wonder if Mia will remember Europe when she gets older. I hope so.
I love gelato myself. lol.
Your posts are always so pretty and informative!

Tammie Lee said...

It sounds like you and your family know how to enjoy summer. Yay.
HOt here too, shade is nice, mornings are nice. heat of the day.... ugh. But still we want hot in summer for a little bit ;-)
Lovely summer to you.

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
We took our boys to the San Diego Zoo way back in 2011. ;-)
I enjoyed your post and all the photos, it is fun catching up with all of the family adventures.
Love, Carla

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Sheri, your summer is full of all the wonderful moments that come when the weather warms up! So happy that Nel and family visited Italy--beautiful photo there. And that honeycomb has me intrigued. I imagine Jess' family had to have someone very special remove that from their attic! Your photo of Mt. Shasta is wonderful. I love the mountains and you have one so close to enjoy daily. Enjoy your week, my friend!

Debby said...

Your photos are stunning. I always enjoy your posts - they make me smile. Yes, I've been to the San Diego Zoo back when I was a kid. Back then it was the biggest zoo in the world but that has since changed like so many other things. I looked it up and the San Diego Zoo is now #6 with a zoo in Nebraska as the biggest zoo in the world. Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha Nebraska - who would have ever thought that? I thought of Saudi Arabia.
Love the cow photo.
Take care my friend - and stay cool. We're at 107 right now.

Marilyn Miller said...

What a fun review of the week. Love the red flowers and all the trees.
Oh, I would order the shaved ice from your coffee shop. I love that in summer.
How fun for your family to go to Italy, what a treat.
Love that your neighbors are good ones and that you son cooked for you.
Enjoy summer and that view of Shasta. I love that mountain whenever I have gone down the highway to California.

Veronica Lee said...

I always look forward to reading about the beautiful life you share with us.
Your photos are stunning as always.
I am so thrilled that Nel and family visited Italy.

Hugs and blessings, Sheri 🌹

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

Lovely post!

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Si vieras el calor que hace aquí, te parecería poco el que hace en tu país.
Hay por en la ciudad en donde vivo una gran ola de dalos y la temperaturas de esta semana superan los 40º de máxima.
Tienes un simpático blog, que acabo de conocer, mediante una amiga en común.
Disfruta del verano, en la buena compañía de tu familia.

Donna said...

How fun to travel at so young an age!! I know she'll remember it for all her life!
I can't wait for Fall! It's just too hot here...105*
Happy Week!
hugs
Donna

Debbie Nolan said...

Sheri to think that you can gaze on that lovely mountain on a regular basis is amazing. So breathtaking! Love the pink petunias mixed with the purple flowers. Those colors are two of my favorite combos.
Sounds like your family had a lovely trip to Italy. Hope Mia will remember the experience of Europe. What a blessing to get to see that gorgeous country.
Well stay cool friend and enjoy the rest of your week. Love you flower. I can see why it captured your attention. Hugs!

nonie everythingsewing said...

What a wonderful summer, everything is just perfect. I have always loved Mt, Shasta, she never disappoints. You sure have a beautiful view of her.

DeniseinVA said...

Such a great post Sheri and always a lovely read :) Traveling when one is so young sows seeds of curiosity. Mia is going to be an explorer and best of all will learn to enjoy being around people from all these wonderful cultures. Many special photos to look through in this post. I am going back to look at them again. Thank you so much!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Beautiful photos, Sheri, of your summer in the mountains. I love hearing all the sweet things going on in your life with your family and glad to hear that you have a nice neighbor who brings you treats! Your view while drinking your morning coffee is gorgeous with the tall trees, and the photo of Mt. Shasta is amazing. So, we live in the same mountain range, don't we? I'll send you a smoke signal. Lol! No, scratch that, we don't need any signs of smoke, do we?
I love that you have so many 'chefs' in your family. My sons cook and so do my son-in-laws, but I can't get my husband to make anything beyond Kraft Macaroni, his go-to dinner when I am sick. He does make it extra good, though. Haha! That is so wonderful that your little Mia is already a world traveler. What a great experience for her. Enjoy your week and I hope it cools down a little for you. Sending hugs xo K

Jeanie said...

It's good to see your update and with such wonderful photos, Sheri. (I love that cow!) What a great experience for all the travels your daughters and their families have enjoyed (Will we hear more?). That shrimp and those sausages look so good. Those are two of my favorite proteins! How lucky you are to have good cooks in your family (and you sound pretty good yourself!)

Your mountain is so beautiful and I love those blooms with which you opened the post. They are so interesting!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Beautiful pictures. Our summer has been in the 90s or very high 80s so far and unbearably humid. This weekend calls for drier cooler weather and I can't wait. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your coffee in such a pretty setting.

roughterrain crane said...

Everytime I see a huge tree standing alone, I feel the tree has been watching over us.
Happy Sunday to you.

DeniseinVA said...

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for sharing your summer with us. A delightful series of photos. I am going back through them again :)