Monday, June 17, 2024

Library Visit And Storytime With The Puppies

I went to the home shop this weekend, and every time I go there, I always visit with A, the owner of the shop.  She brings me back to my home when we chat, as she's originally from the San Francisco area, which isn't too far from my hometown.  I browsed for a long time, and noticed this little penguin stuffed animal high on one of the shelves.  He was darling, with a blue ribbon around his neck. I couldn't resist, and bought it for baby Charlotte, who will be coming to visit me soon.







I was so excited when Nel sent me a dozen pictures in the mail of Mia.  And after carefully going through them to see which one I wanted to frame, I chose this one.  There was just something about it.



I often share nature on my blog because it's a place that brings me peace, and I love spending time there.  We don't have to go on elaborate hikes to get our nature fill, we can just step outside, and listen to the birds and see the flowers and plants come alive this time of year.  This tree is one of the tallest in my yard, and it's where those mischievous squirrels seem to show up every day.  This is what the beginning of Summer looks like here.













I'm on Season 4, Episode 5 of The Chosen Livestream, and all the shows have been excellent, but this episode I especially liked.  A lot happening in this episode.  The Roman soldiers force Jesus and the Disciples to carry their armor.  This was a humiliating experience, especially how awful the soldiers treated them.  When it's time for the soldiers to take back their armor, Jesus keeps going, and walks an additional mile.  His Disciples are right there walking with Him.  There was also a scene where Mother Mary washes Jesus' hair that is precious.



A story about Jess' visit to the library recently.

One of Jess' favorite childhood summer memories is visiting the library with me, and her sister and brother.  So, visiting the library with Francesca has been on her summer bucket list for a while.  They found a beautiful public library near her town.  She registered a library card in Francesca's name so she would have her very own library card.  The children's section was magical.  It had a nautical explorer theme with pirate touches here and there.  There was a giant built-in pirate ship that had bookshelves full of children's books.  They just so happened to be visiting during their "Read with a Puppy" hour where dogs and their owners come to the library so children can read to them.  Francesca is getting so good at learning to read.  She was nervous to read to the dogs in case she didn't know some of the words, but Jess reassured her the doggies wouldn't mind.  She loved reading to her dog, and even showed her the pictures after every page!





~Sheri



22 comments:

Debby said...

When I was a nanny down in Menlo Park, I always enjoyed the library time when it was “read to your dog” day. Soooooo cute that always gave me a great big smile. Now “read to your cat” day would be interesting! 🧐
I know what you mean about living so close to nature and recreation. When we first moved up here, it seemed everyday was like I was on vacation.
The photo with Jess, Francesca and Charlotte is adorable - can’t help but smile!
Have a beautiful week! God bless.

LoveT. said...


The landscape and the blue sky look beautiful.

You have chosen a great photo to frame.


Wish you a wonderful new week!

Shug said...

This looks like an amazing library. I think kids need to spend more time at the Library vs on their phones. I also wish that kids would spend more time out in Nature. This is one thing that my siblings, cousins and friends and I did growing up. We played on my grandfather's farm amidst all the trees and hills. I think you selected the perfect picture to frame. Adorable!! And oh....those gorgeous yellow flowers. They brightened my day as I love yellow and I love flowers.

Sandi said...

You live in a beautiful place!

The Chosen is so well done. I have really been enjoying it. The smile of the Roman officer is season 4: episode 4 was amazing...oh...so incredible that scene. I know how that smile feels myself. :)

Carla from The River said...

Oh my... I love that "read with a puppy" ... that is such a good idea. And I love your posts Sheri!
Carla

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love how the sweet little dog is laying there listening, almost like she has mesmerized him!! Those two last pics are wonderful, and say SO much!!! The pic of Mia is beautiful, and the frame is perfect for it. The penguin is so cute, and I'm sure will be beloved for a long time.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Sheri,
Always good to receive pictures from your grands and then framing one or more!
Is the tall tree in your yard a spruce?
If it bears cones, naturally squirrels will live there!
They eat the seeds.
It is wonderful that the memory of Jess' library visits with you is rubbing off as she is taking Francesca now.
Reading is one of the most important things for any child!!!
Hugs,
Mariette

Susan Kane said...

When our children were little, I always took them to the library once a week. It was a delightful experience for all of us.

Your framed photo is so sweet.

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

No se como serían las otras fotografías, pero a mí me ha gustado mucho, la que has puesto en el marco. La sonrisa de sus labios y su dulce mirada, hace que esa foto sea encantadora.
Un abrazo.

Chatty Crone said...

Charlotte is going to love that soft and fluffy penguin! I sure do.
I like that photo of Mia too - I like also that your daughter sends you pictures that you can really touch and look at. I haven't seen a real photo in a long time.
Boy right out your door is so gorgeous - you never have to go past that to see nature that gorgeous!
Can you believe we have just been so busy - and haven't watched the Chosen yet - but we can. I will and I will surely let you know.
I love the photo of the yellow flower - it is so clear in the foreground and in the back kind of smudged/blurred - I think deliberately - it is gorgeous.
As usual loving your post.

Carola Bartz said...

I love the idea of children reading to dogs - how sweet is that! Not only is it a beautiful way of being together with our animal friends, but I think it also gives confidence to the kids and improves their reading skills without any judgement. As a child I loved to go to the public library - it was a 30 minute walk from where I lived and I had to cross a pretty steep hill, but the magical world of books was enough motivation for me. Your post felt like a stroll down memory lane.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Libraries are a great place to take kids! I love all your photos with the trees and the little stuffed toy is adorable and I'm sure will be loved. So nice that they sent you photos. I love the one your framed. Have a great week.

Katerinas Blog said...

You have chosen a very beautiful stuffed duckling.
Nature certainly brings peace and so do her photos.
The library is the most amazing place a child could be,
there they can discover new worlds and treasures!

R's Rue said...

I still love a library visit.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Zoey would love to have that penguin! She would have it ripped apart in less than 5 minutes.

We spent a few hours at the library in Haines. It was really cool to see all the families there with small children.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Charlotte is going to love her penguin-so cute as is the picture of her and her sister Francesca! That's wonderful she enjoys the library and reading to the dog is so sweet. The photo of Mia framed is so sweet. I know you love having that in your home! The photos of your area are always enjoyable to see. Have a lovely week, my friend!

Marilyn Miller said...

I loved visiting the library when I was that age. How cute to see her reading to the dog. My grandson loves going to the library too.
That penguin is really cute and Charlotte will love it.
Oh yes, Your trees do remind me driving through you part of the world in California. So beautiful! What a cute picture of Mia too.

Billie Jo said...

How much do I love this post, my lovely friend?? Everything is joyous...your precious family, your beautiful nature, your kind heart. Thank you for always shining a bright light on my world!

Jeanie said...

What a magnificent tree! I love trees like that. And that frame is perfect for the photo. I loved the penguin, too and fun to see the photos Jess sent. Are those blooms in your yard? So cheerful!

Susan said...

Oh Sheri, what beautiful trees you have in your area. All those pine trees! My goodness! It's a gorgeous area, really.
Loved the photo of Francesca and the darling photo with Mom and sweet daughters. I am also glad to know I'm not the only one who loves to still frame photos. I have a lot of them here and there around the apartment. I don't give a fig whether they are old-fashioned or not. Lovely post, dear Sheri.

Veronica Lee said...

Jess and Francesca's library visit sounds magical, especially the "Read with a Puppy" hour. The image of Francesca reading to the dog is so sweet!
The stuffed penguin you picked for baby Charlotte is adorable and will surely be cherished.
I love your nature photos—they always radiate peace.


Thanks for sharing these lovely moments, Sheri 🌹

Hena Tayeb said...

My kids used to love spending time in the library as well. Now they just request the books they want and we pick them up.. not much perusing the shelves. That last pic is so cute!