Monday, January 30, 2023

She Will Not Fall

I noticed some Quail that were in my neighbor's yard looking outside my window.  They come in groups, and you can see how funny they are, gathering, and following one after the other.







Another day, I noticed a different group of them.  The California Quail spends most of their time on the ground.  They usually fly only short distances when they need to reach shelter or to escape danger.  They feed on the ground, and you can sometimes find them feeding at the sides of the roads.  These were very plump ones, and look like they are pregnant, but they are males, which you can tell by their distinctive feathers on top of their head.



The road workers do an excellent job here when it snows clearing the paths for drivers, on the highways and in the neighborhoods.  One got stuck right in front of my house, and he was there for awhile trying to get out.  I felt so bad for him sitting in the freezing cold.  I was about to bring him a hot cup of coffee, when he maneuvered his way out, and was on his way.



The sun came out, and it's always so pretty to see the snow sparkling from the sunlight.









Remember the pork roast my brother-in-law gave me?  I cooked it like my mother-in-law used to, covering it with oil and spices, and it turned out delicious, until the very last bite.  Baked beans on the side.



I made her potato salad too, and added six eggs.  I know eggs are pricey right now, but it's just not the same without the eggs.



I love pink and red around Valentine's Day.  I saw this coffee at the store, and brought it home.  Sooooo good.



It was a nice surprise to see these chocolates at the store, and they were calling my name.   Hershey's Roses Kisses!



When I was in grade school, I used to love to send out and receive the little Valentine cards on school days.  Through the years, I would send them to my kids, even when they were grown, and now I get to send them to my grandkids.  This year, I went with Bluey cards, cause they love Bluey shows!  The box came with the cards, stickers, and hearts, so it will be a fun project for the kids to work on.



And I came across these Valentines from when I was in grade school.  Yes, I keep old special things.  They must be over 50 years old.  Is that vintage haha?



There were two men outside the grocery store selling wooden plaques with Bible verses.  Some of them were small, and others were large, and I ended up buying a large one.  There were dozens, and I was there for a long time browsing through them all.  It seemed they were getting a bit impatient, and wanted me to just buy one.  But I wanted to get just the right one, so I kept looking.  Finally, I found the one that spoke to me, and bought it.



My Valentine dresser





No words are needed for this pic.  ; )

Welcome, February!

~Sheri 

29 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Adorable! Kitten and grand!
Your chose a goo plaque. Snow and more snow makes looking out the window more interesting. The roast does look delicious. I am glad that Valentine's Day is embraced as a regular holiday by the majority of us.

Sandi said...

I remember those old Valentines! I have a few stuck in a book. My mom got us albums to save them all. I have first grade through sixth grade, about twenty each year because each child brought one for each member of the class. They are a treasure to me. (Good idea, mom!)

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Sheri,
Wow, those quails might look plump just because they fluff out their feathers more in cold weather!
How precious though for being able to view them that close!
You are such a kind hearted person for bringing a hot cup of coffee.
And I'm glad you persisted in searching for the 'perfect' wooden plaque and even in the right color!
Love Mia with the cute kitty in her back pack—precious family member.
Hugs and stay cozy and you might have left overs from that delicious pork roast...
Mariette

It's me said...

Woww love the sign beautiful psalm…..and what a sweet Mia picture πŸ€πŸΎπŸ’—πŸ€ have a beautiful February love from me and Leaf πŸ€πŸΎ❤️πŸ€

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

Amazing birds!

R's Rue said...

So beautiful. I love it.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love your dresser, especially the little red bird! I have this coffee and love it! You can only get it in the wonter months here, but you can order it on Amazon any time. The roast looks divine. The quail are so adorable. Do you know that they nest right on the ground? I don't know how any of their eggs ever survive. We passed a mom on her nest once, right by the side of the road! She was trying to distract us by playing injured.

Carla from The River said...

Oh, I enjoyed your post. I love your photos of the quail. We do not have quail here in Wisconsin, so I enjoy when you post photos of the quail.
And oh my that last photo!!! I love it. :-) Thank you for the smiles.
Carla

Louca por porcelana said...

Adorable pictures. How precious the last one is... Made me smile! Keep warm sweet lady.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the old Valentines and the coffee you found! I think I need some of that. I bet it smells incredible! Enjoy your Monday!

DeniseinVA said...

Loved your post and no words indeed needed for that one photo, beyond adorable! The pictures of the quail brought back a memory of seeing them in a friend's garden years ago. I haven't seen hem since. Your pork roast meal sounds incredible! Your family is going to getting those adorable Valentine's Day Cards, and your Valentine dresser is a treat for the eyes. Have a great week Sheri :)

Debby said...

I love California's State bird the Quail. They are so unique, just like our state!

Your photos are so pretty. I always enjoy looking at them. Have a nice day.

Donna said...

I'm not a fan of snow...poor birds look cold...lol
Like your Valentine dresser and love Kitty in the bag!
hugs
Donna

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning Sheri, happy February!

Jeanie said...

Your valentine dresser is so sweet! I love those vintage ones. And Bluey is great! That's a fun show for adults, too. It's lovely seeing your sun on the snow. We have sun on the first day in weeks -- the temp is only 0 now, but the sun is out! And I wouldn't recognize a quail if one came to the yard right now. Lovely birds!

Chatty Crone said...

I am going to look for the Hersey Roses Meltaways. lol Notice I went to the chocolate first. And the Peppermint Mocha - food.
That was so nice of you to want to bring the worker coffee. You are so sweet. That was a lot of snow there. It is pretty in the snow.
The pork and beans and egg salad looked delicious.
Love the cat in the bag. ♥
You have some very lovely photos.
Stay warm.
Sandie

Kim said...

Oh, I love those old Valentines! They look like the kind I received when I was little, so yes, they're vintage! lol So much wonderfulness in your post, Sheri! Love it all! ❤️πŸ₯°

Veronica Lee said...

I enjoyed your post as always, Sheri.

Love your photos of the quails.

Your pork roast meal sounds amazing!

Hugs and blessings!

Linda O'Connell said...

I was going to comment about several of the pictures, but Mia's takes the prize! That could be abook cover.

nonie everythingsewing said...

We have quail also and I love to watch the momma and daddy taking the kids out for a walk.
the roast looks so good, funny about potato salad, i got so hungry last night wanting some potato. salad, that is on the plan for today.

Nonie

Dewena said...

Hello dear Sheri! I love your pretty rose in the snow picture and naturally those Hershey's Roses Kisses had to come home with you. Mia is darling with her pretty Kitty in her backpack!

What a gift to have quail in your area! It's been decades since we've had the Bob-white quail in our yard, wish so much they would return. I zoomed in on yours and am enchanted with their plump bodies. Your potato salad pork roast meal looks mouth-watering! I was listening to a podcast recently that Bon Appetit produces and they featured a Burnt Orange Coriander Pork Roast that sounded so good that I googled the recipe and tried it this week with a large roast our grocery had on sale and it was wonderful. We shared it with two of our sons. Wish I'd thought about potato salad to go with it.

That Peppermint Mocha coffee sounds wonderful! And your Valentine's decor is so sweet. I'm glad you're sentimental about Valentine's Day cards. I wish I'd saved mine from school days. I do love February too, Sheri, loved ones seem extra special to me that month.

Love to you,
Dewena

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Hello sweet Sheri! Such a lovely post, you've shared some lovely details of your life! We have quail here too, and they are just so sweet to watch! They don't come often as the dogs and the cats are not so friendly to them. But sometimes when everyone is inside, they do come to our feeders. It is amazing to watch the big machines move snow around, we are so thankful for their hard work too! My husband and I have gone off sugar for the most part, and we feel so much better. It will be hard around Valentine's Day, ha! But, I have found some good recipes using stevia. Adorable last picture you shared, a kitty carrier, I love it! Blessings to you dear friend!

Marilyn Miller said...

The last picture is so sweet.
Love seeing your snow too.
The roast looks delicious!
Oh my, Quail are amazing. I would
be jumping up and down if I saw a group
like that.

Pam said...

HAHA...I LOVE the pic of the kitty in the backpack....nice. Love how birds follow the lead. Ducks are cool flying in a V, but I have watched the birds in how bunch, one takes off, they all do. They change directions all at once. Its cool.

ashok said...

Lovely birds! The food looks delicious!

Bety said...

Aaah! The last picture is top! So cute! Loved the vintage cards too! I had never seen a California quail. In Bulgaria, they are probably twice as small and gray-brown in color.
Hey, are eggs expensive for you too!
I really like how you share a part of your daily life here. I wish you a great St. Valentine! Let love warm your hearts!

Susan said...

Oh Sheri, what a charming post. Just darling. Loved reading every word. You deserved the rose chocolates, that's for sure. And that pork roast looked swoonworthy! Great job! Hugs, Susan

RaeAbigael said...

Wow, peppermint mocha! This is one of my favorites. I think I'm going to look at my local Starbucks if this is available. hehe. I hope you'll have a wonderful February, Sheri!


xoxo, rae
http://www.raellarina.net

INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Hena Tayeb said...

Oh the kitten in the backpack just stole the show.
I don't think I have seen quail in our neck of the woods.
It's sweet that you send out valentine's day cards to the grandkids... they must love getting such happy mail.