Monday, January 9, 2023

Gratitude Journal

While I was at Jess' house one day, I noticed Nel was writing something in a book on Jess' table.  I asked her about it, and she said it was a gratitude journal.  I thought that was a nice idea, and I was pleased to hear she was working on this project.  Here is what she said about it.

I started a positivity challenge this Christmas season, and this journal is where I kept my gratitude list.  Through the month of December, I started every day by writing 10 things that I was grateful for.  The list could include anything, from my health and all the functioning body parts keeping me alive, to my career and all the rewarding things I get to do with my work, to being able to provide food for my family, or having access to clean drinking water, to aspects of my home life like a working dishwasher, festive decor at Christmastime, or time to spend helping Mia learn her alphabet.  I found that starting every day with gratitude was a really powerful way to keep up my positivity throughout the day.  Even when things went wrong or I was frustrated or saddened by something, it was easier to get back to a positive mindset.  Now that December has passed, I'm still working to incorporate daily gratitude into my life.  "Thank you" is a wonderful phrase with a lot of positive power.



We live in a society where we want more more more.  And today, I will join Nel in being thankful for the big things and the smallest things, like a hot cup of coffee.  I found the McCafe' Premium Roast at the store, and made some at home.  It was really good.



A chocolate cake sounded just right for the new year, and I saw this fun cake kit and decided to give it a try.  I didn't put the cocoa pebbles on top, cause it's just too sweet for me, but Duncan Hines always makes the moistest cakes.



You know how much I love gnomes.  I found the cutest Gnome Kit for the grandkids to each make a gnome of their own.



Yesterday, early in the morning, I heard thumps on the roof, and didn't know what it was and went back to bed.  A while later, I woke up and looked out my window and saw a blanket of snow.  We had another snowfall on Sunday.  I know there are many who don't like the snow in the Wintertime, cause it's bothersome to deal with the conditions that it brings.  Don't get me wrong, friends, there is much you have to prepare for during these Winter months here, and I do my share of scraping, shoveling, and clearing, but I do love it just the same.  This was a light snow, but sometimes we can get up to two feet.  I thank nature for bringing this lovely white powder around my home, and my neighbor, J, for giving me my first shovel.  I'm learning.  ; )














 ~Sheri

25 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Wonderful post. I am grateful that you blog! Love your owl mug.
A grateful journal is a plan. Starti g the day with a positive is healthy.

Pinecones. I recently found online a pinecone texture rolling pin made by Vermont Pottery Works. Thrilled making a roasted veggie pie with that texture would be fun.

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

Lovely post!

Sandi said...

You had me at Cocoa Pebbles cake mix.

Louca por porcelana said...

Beautiful! I am grateful for your friendship in blogland! I am grateful for your adorable posts. Hugs and blessings.

R's Rue said...

Such goodness and joy.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've been writing in my journal more and I need to include the gratitude list every day. Thanks for sharing this! Stay warm and cozy!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am thinking you got those gnomes at Michael's? I may get them for our granddaughters. Yes, being mindfully thankful every day helps us to feel better and reminds us of what we have. LOVE the painted nails and mug! Now I need to get that coffee!

Carla from The River said...

I love the idea of starting the day out with a positive thought, I also do a journal entry in the morning.

Thank you for sharing your snow with us. :-)
Love, Carla

Chatty Crone said...

Well, let's see - the chocolate cake - sounds interesting. This is funny I made chocolate brownies and peanut butter icing this weekend!
I do think you can turn most things into some sort of positivity.
Another coincidence - I have been doing a grateful journal since 1990. I have written down 5 things every day since I started. It really did change me into a more positive person and changed me. It took a while. I also write it as a prayer to God. I've tried to get my friends to do it - but so far no one sticks with me. lol. It really does work - becomes a prayer and a habit. Also, some days are so hard, and I feel in agony - and can only put something like breathing, seeing, etc. Every year I do throw my notebook away and get a new one.
More snow for you too!
It is even cold here in GA - but no snow.

Marilyn Miller said...

Paying attention to those things we are thankful for are so special. A gratitude journal is a great idea. And BTW I love Duncan Hines cake mixes. I usually have one or two on my shelf. And snow is quite wonderful too, as long as I have heat in the house and food in the cupboard, I am good with snow.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Sheri,
Any journal but even more so a gratitude journal is great!
Both of us have kept a journal through 2004 and it has been so great for reading back—that makes one grateful for life.
Time is passing so very fast...
You sure deserve kudos for managing the scraping and shoveling!
Hugs,
Mariette

Susan said...

Hello dear Sheri...So happy you and your daughter are discovering keeping a gratitude journal. I have done these for many, many years. As soon as one is filled to the brim, I put it on a shelf and pull down and empty journal, to start all over again. It is a wonderful way to bring deep peace and contentment in one's heart. There are so many things to be thankful for , from toothpaste and breakfast to snow shovels and fresh air! You will LOVE keeping a gratitude journal.

Patricia said...

Hello Sheri, how exciting that you had a snowfall and can enjoy the beauty of it. I really like the photo of the pine cone with little icicles on it. The gnome kit is perfect, 2 gnomes for 2 little girls. I hope we see the finished product. Meanwhile, chocolate cake with coffee is always a good idea, and so is a Gratitude Journal. I received two diaries for Christmas and am trying to get into some good habits of recording my thoughts as well as track health and other important things. Happy new Year!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dear Sheri! I am thankful each day for my health, for the shelter over my head and the food at my reach. I am thankful for my husband and friends and it's amazing how powerful gratitude is. It lives within us and all we have to do is converse with this amazing spirit that can take us far in life. You got snow! Ohhhh you should see what we got a week ago; it's still clinging to the trees and it looks like Narnia out there! Big, warm hugs to you dear Sheri!

Linda O'Connell said...

Imagine how different the world would be if it were a requirement to wake up and list positive things we are thankful for. You always have inspirational and fun posts. Like seeing your community. Snow, not so much. I am counting down to spring.

Pam said...

We have had two small snows with no issues, thank goodness. The first came around the time that Nashville temps dropped lower than it had been in 100 or so yrs. Crazy. I personally like a winter with snow. Our temps here have been crazy warm lately and that makes me nervous as to what the rest of the month or next will bring....Love the journal but I just can't keep on. I get started, go a couple of days really strong and then bam, I forget about it. Hoping you have had a great start to the NY.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What a beautiful idea, to have a gratitude journal! I think it is wonderful to have a way to write down those things you are thankful for, and in time to go back and read them, what a blessing that would be! We really are so very blessed beyond measure. We have got about 3 feet of snow here from November and December, but so far in January, we've been getting mostly rain, and the snow is melting. It feels almost like spring in January. Love your pictures up on your mountain, and like you, I love the snow. It does create a lot of work, but it also makes everything so very beautiful! Blessings to you dear friend, and Happy New Year !

Rajani Rehana said...

Super blog

It's me said...

To be thankful..helps me every day further in my life…turn my worries in gratitude 🙏…helps me a lot…love your post maybe I also make a thankful book in my life…love from me 🍀❤️🍀🐾 and Leaf

Donna said...

I need to start the same...
hugs
Donna

ashok said...

Wonderful post

DeniseinVA said...

A gratitude journal is a great idea, I like that very much! It is a wonderful way to start the day with a good reminder to see the good in the simplest things in life, and not to take those for granted. Your cake looks delicious, and I know your grandkids are going to enjoy making these cute gnomes. Your snow photos are gorgeous! We haven’t had any snow yet and no, I don’t like the chaos it can bring if it’s too much, but I do love that first snowfall, and love looking at snow photos. Thanks Sherri, enjoy the rest of your week :)

Veronica Lee said...

I am grateful for your friendship, Sheri.

And your inspiring and delightful posts.

Hugs and blessings, dearest friend!🌹

Jeanie said...

Your snow is very beautiful, Sheri. And it looks like a rather perfect season for a tasty chocolate cake! That gnome kit is so cute -- I can't wait till you do them and show us!

I used to keep a gratitude journal for years. Now I don't write it daily but every night before I go to sleep I mentally log five gratitude things (sometimes more!). It's so important to our well being to remember such things.

roughterrain crane said...

It's quite difficult to change the outer world. But if you contact there with a light shining from your heart, you will find big changes of the outer world.