Monday, January 16, 2023

Rain And Snow And Netflix Movies

You've heard of all the flooding happening right now in California.  There are heavy rains and high winds in the valleys, and mud and rock slides in the mountains.  It's been a dangerous couple weeks for some, living in the areas that have been affected.  Fortunately, we haven't got much flooding in the mountains of northern California where I live, but we've had an incredible amount of rain.



I spoke too soon with my last post saying we had a light snowfall.  The next day we got hit pretty hard.  I had to go to the grocery store, and got stuck at the top of the hill on my street, and had to back up.  My neighbor advised me to go around the neighborhood and out the next street over, which I did.  I made it home safely, but swerved a little as I was turning onto my street.  Oh, those roads are slippery out there in the snow, and one has to be so careful when driving them.  This was taken on garbage day, and you can see how pretty the snow is.





 Well, with the weather being like it is, I've been staying inside this last week and cooking and baking a lot.  I made a strawberry cheese cake, and it was so Yummy.





Then, my small heaters in the bedrooms weren't running properly.  It went into defrost and just got stuck, so the heat and air guy had to come out to reset it and work with it, and I now have warmth in my house once again.  It's really frustrating getting workers out here, but my brother does an amazing job getting a hold of them to take care of any issues that surface.

January for me has been getting items that I need around the house, you know, the ones that make your life easier.   I call them essentials.....a new calculator for my bills, batteries, and pens to write in my calendar.



Me and Jess have been watching Harry and Meghan docuseries on Netflix.  Harry is sweet, but rugged, and seems to always tell the truth.  Meghan speaks well, and I like the classy choice of fashion that she wears.  The episodes show clips of Diana also, who I love and miss.  I am enjoying watching the series.



Then, Francesca and Jess and Brian got the dreadful virus.  They are all doing fine - Jess said she felt like a truck ran over her the first day, and she still has some fatigue, but feeling better each day.  Brian just had a mild case, and Francesca is feeling better and back to her old self.

There is a house around the corner that still has their lights up.  They are all blue, and they really are pretty.  It makes me smile when I go outside and see them.  Well, needless to say, the start of the new year hasn't been the best for me, but there is light that always shines through on those troubling days.



More rain and snow to come here this week.  Say a prayer for us here in California, won't you?

*photos from internet





~Sheri


30 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Stay safe!
Glad your heat is back on
So far, in my local area, this winter has been cold mostly.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The cheesecake looks amazing! I'm looking for a dessert recipe I can eat this week. We have watched the terrible flooding in CA. Stay warm in the mts!

Chatty Crone said...

Glad you were not in the HUGE rain fall, but you got enough then snow.
Snow can be so beautiful and yet so dangerous at the same time. Be careful.
That strawberry cheesecake looked delicious, and I know you will have some tea and coffee with it.
Was your house cold without the heaters in the bedroom running? You should like you have a wonderful brother.
I had been praying for Francesca and Jess - I am glad they are recovering.
I hate to think it but I am feeling it might be back this spring. I hope not.
It has been cold here too - but not as cold as you.
sandie

R's Rue said...

Stay safe my friend. Netflix is always a good idea.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh MY! ARE they headed your way? How soon? I will pray for you! What a joyful photo with the P.J.'s and masks! It is perfect. I am glad you are alright so far.

Marilyn Miller said...

I have been checking in with family in California to make sure they are OK. My cousin lives near Sacramento and said there were many trees down around her. Stay safe in your part of the world
Sorry Jess and Francesca came down with the virus. Glad they are getting better.
I also watched Harry and Meghan on Netflix. It is sad to me how many criticize them. I only wish them well as I do the whole royal family in England.
Your cheesecake looks quite delicious.

Carla from The River said...

Hello,
Sending prayers your way my dear friend.
I am so happy to hear you had your heater fixed, the cold is so dangerous.
Take care my dear friend,
Carla

Jeanie said...

I love seeing lights outside year round. They're so cheerful and so needed in the dark days of winter. I hate driving in snow, too. You never know what's underneath and I'm not well equipped if I get stuck. I'm glad you got out OK and that your brother could round up help for your heaters.

I enjoyed the H/M documentary series, too. I would have dumped out under those circumstances, too.

Sending good wishes Jess' way for a full recovery for them both.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Sheri,
Guess it is best for not going out on the road during such type of weather!
When having stocked up on food — we usually manage to just do that.
Too bad you had these issues with the heater.
We only had tornado watch last week but now it is sunny and mild.
Sending you hugs,
Mariette

It's me said...

O my ….the weather is no good…..I hope everything will be ok in your city where you live…I shall pray for you …πŸ™πŸ€πŸ™ o and that cheesecake looks amazing !!….πŸ€❤️πŸ€ love from me and Leaf πŸ€❤️πŸΎπŸ€

Debby said...

I'm sorry to hear of the rain and snow still hitting you. We're heading into a dry period for the next week to 10 days. I hope they are right. We could use some drying out. Although I cannot complain. It's been a lot of rain here but not destructive at all.

The cheesecake looks delicious and that broccoli noodle dish is right up my alley.

That's a bummer about your heaters - good thing you got them working again. Do you have a fireplace or woodstove as backup?

We still have our icicle white lights on the patio - and they look so pretty. We'll keep them up until I can find some patio lights to string up.

Stay warm and off the roads during your upcoming snowstorm.

Patricia said...

Your snow sure is pretty, but I would not like to drive around in it. I hope you can stock up and avoid going out if another snowstorm is coming. Meantime, your cheese cake looks incredibly delicious, and the broccoli looks amazing too. I am sorry your family got Covid, and trust they will be well soon. It is still going around here too, and far too many older people die. What a plague it is! Have a great week Sheri.

Billie Jo said...

Oh my! I will pray for you! And for your neighbors and friends out there, my friend. Also, prayers for a quick recovery for the Covid patients. It is going around here as well. I wish I could join you for some cheesecake! Stay safe and cozy.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hello lovely Sheri....the rain has been such a catastrophe for many and a much-needed event for the state as a whole as I've read that the drought is not as serious as it was. We are praying for the safety of all. The seasons seem to be more extreme these days and please be careful in the snow! We had "warm" temperatures that melted the snow and we too had rain yesterday, which is unusual for January in Minnesota! But then ice develops overnight and that is when it gets dangerous!

Be well my friend and I'm so glad you have your brother who looks after you.

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

A delicious cake!

Linda O'Connell said...

The roads and water you have to drive through is frightening, but that cheesecake looks divine. Stay warm.

Donna said...

Oh Sheri!! Please try to stay safe in all that horrible weather! It's all over the news here in Texas, daily.
hugs
Donna

Louca por porcelana said...

I am glad your family is on the mend. Keep safe. Sending prayers.

Veronica Lee said...

I am praying for you and your family, dearest Sheri.

Your cheese cake looks divine and the broccoli looks delish too.

Hugs and blessings, my dearest friend 🌹

R's Rue said...

Hope you’re doing well. Love you.

ashok said...

Stay safe! Lovely post

Susan said...

Hi Sheri.....Oh gosh, those flooding photos you showed how bad it is in spots. Oh gosh. That's terrible. So glad you got your heat back on. Also glad Jess and family are all feeling better. Well, if staying in means baking and eating strawberry cheesecake, I'd say that's not a bad alternative. ha hahahahha Oh gosh. Looked delish. Take care, Sheri. Stay warm.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

If you get a chance would you email me! Thanks, Diane

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful post

roughterrain crane said...

Stay home for a while and do not go to your favorite places like Starbucks.

Bety said...

The last pictures are very scary. In Bulgaria, it is normal to have snow at the moment. It is even needed to have a harvest next year. Disturbingly, there isn't. We had a warm fall and a warm winter. Instead of snow, we have had spring temperatures of 18 C for several days. I even went to the forest and picked a bunch of snowdrops. I like the warm weather and I don't like winter at all, but in recent years it has been disturbing that there has been a lack of snow and rain.

handmade by amalia said...

Such a month of ups and downs, Sheri! Glad you got the heat back and that the kids are well again and you are all safe. I just made a strawberry cheese cake as well! Our strawberries are so good this year and there is so much sun, it feels like we have a foot into spring already.
Amalia
xo

Hena Tayeb said...

Good to hear Jess and the kids are feeling better now.
It a good thing you are staying in.. I despise going out of the house on bad weather days but sometimes you have no choice but to go out.

R's Rue said...

Hope you’re doing well

Kim said...

Sheri, I can't believe how crazy California's weather has been! I have prayed for y'all and all those in the path of these crazy storm systems. They sweep across the whole country. And the South gets a bigger dose of crazy thanks to the warm gulf waters. Hoping for a milder spring for everyone.

I am reading Prince Harry's book and am enjoying it very much. I don't have Netflix, so can't see their series. I've heard so much ugly talk about them, but I wanted to tune it all out and let them speak for themselves.

Take care, my dear!