Monday, August 26, 2024

Behind Every Child

Since school is starting, I thought I'd share my school years growing up, especially with my new friends, who I'm just becoming acquainted with.  My school years were wonderful, for the most part.  I was an outgoing child and teenager, so that may have made it easier for me.  My mom had a tremendous part in ensuring that my school years were good ones, by sewing costumes for school events, and just being there at the end of the day, asking how my day went.  Sometimes she started and completed a whole project while I was at school.  The elementary school was right down the street from my house, so I could walk to school sometimes, but when junior high came around, I had to take the bus for a time, as the school was way on the other side of town.  It seemed like it took forever to get there before the day even started.  So, here's some bits and pieces of my school years back in the day.

The sweet years.

I remember having good teachers the first few years of grade school, and I remember the principle always had a smile on his face and said hello when he passed my way.  By the end of the sixth grade, he knew us well.  One year, me and my best friend were not talking to each other for a while, and he called me into his office and reminded me how special our friendship had been since kindergarten, and did we really want to break that up?  We eventually made up and all was well after that.

Year of the pixie cut.

Francesca got a hair cut before school started, and when I told her about the haircut I got in third grade and how short it was, she laughed, so I had to send her and Mia a picture.

My mom pretty much made every costume I ever wore.  I always wanted a store bought costume, but looking back, the ones she patiently sewed for me were so much more special.  I'm in the middle, and these two sweet souls have already left this earth, but they were surely my favorite cousins of all.

The awkward junior high years.

This was my first girl/boy party at my house.  I can't believe my parents let me have one, as they were pretty strict, but I guess they trusted me...as they should have.  ; )

I was always involved in one activity or another.



Do ya'll remember the school cafeteria burritos?  Me and friends had one nearly every day at lunch time, and I looked forward to them even before the bell rang.  They were the best.  I actually found the same type of burrito at a drive-inn in my hometown, and used to get them from time to time.   



All the football games and the Homecomings every season.



Well, there you go.  A little of my school life through the years.  Having good friends around me each and every day made the school days less monotonous and more uplifting and fun.  I got pretty good grades, except for Math; never cared for it.  And when Algebra came around, I even had to get my middle brother to help me for a time, which improved my grades some.

Fast forward to the mom years.....when I had kids of my own, I was very protective, and used to make sure they got in their classroom in the morning, or were in line with their teachers.  Looking back, I still remember walking Nel to the bus stop when she was in middle school.  Her school was in the country, and I felt uneasy until she was safely on that bus.  But that's another story for another post.



While shopping with Jess at Target one day, I came across these raccoon socks and loved them.  They look Fallish to me.



I simply want to say, thank you, Teachers.

I'll leave you with a few nature photos.  This outgoing gal needs alone time, and nature is a must.  We received some rain!  When I was driving recently, I looked up at our mountain and noticed a dusting of snow on the peak already.  This horse was very sweet, and came right up to me without fear or reservation.  The reddish leaves are reminding me that the most wonderful season is on its way.





















~Sheri


30 comments:

Shug said...

I enjoyed each and every one of the photos. So much beauty around you. This is a great post and I do hope you will have it printed for your grandkids to see someday. Those were the days when moms did not work and they were so supportive of things happening at their kids schools. I sure wish it could be like that now....kids need this. I do remember those bob haircut days. my kids laugh at the pictures of my short bobbed hair. This was fun seeing your school days of the past. Totally great post.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Sheri,
Thanking your teachers might be a little late for them... or are they still alive?
So sad that your cousins already left this earth...
Algebra was my favorite and I always had to come to the blackboard to explain to others... LOVED it.
Those raccoon socks are cute!
Hugs,
Mariette

Debby said...

You took me back to my childhood school days! My mom was a stay at home mom as well. Well back then, she proudly referred to herself as a mom and housewife. Almost all the moms in our neighborhood were home during the day. Your school photos are so cute and I too, had a pixie cut and hated it. Just too short. My dad didn’t like it either but it must have been the style back then.
I had two teachers that stand out for me that shaped who I am today. One was a Jewish teacher who would sit with me during recess and tell me more about the Holocaust which then birthed my passion and love for the Jewish people. The other was a math/business teacher and he also was my behind the wheel driving instructor. He was a Christian and I was unchurched and didn’t believe in anything and yet he scattered some seeds my way. Just in the way he viewed life.
I enjoy being in the presence of horses. Watching them is a joy.
Yes you did get a scattering of snow. I thought you would - We went up to Mt Shasta yesterday having noticed fresh snow. Lassen also got quite a bit of snow as well as the Trinity Alps. That is one of my “signs” of Fall - when the higher elevations get their first snowfall and seeing it for the first time. And yes, the most wonderful season is almost here!!
Have a great week. Tune in sometime today. I took some awesome photos if Mt Shasta and of course I always think of you!
❤️❤️😘


LoveT. said...


A wonderful post and review.
With short hair as a child, you seem unusual to me, but your eyes are unmistakable.
I wish you a happy new week

Carla from The River said...

Hi Sheri, I love your posts. They are a great start to my week. I had a pixie cut too!!! In fact my mom had my sister and I wear our hair short for most of our childhood.
Thank you for all the photos of YOU and nature. Love, Carla

Prairie Rose said...

I enjoy reading your blog post. They promote positivity, family and you feel better for the time visiting with you. In a prior post you said you were French Canadian? That is my family decent too. ;0)

R's Rue said...

What beautiful memories. I love those socks.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Susan said...

Oh Sheri, what a cherished post! So, so delightful. I loved reading about all of your school day experiences. You were definitely a popular kid! In some of the photos, you definitely resemble your granddaughters! Isn't that wonderful? Thanks for sharing such precious memories and awesome photos! Susan from Writing Straight from the Heart!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I really like the thorny yellow plant. Do you know what it is? Likely some kind of thorn or thistle. You were so adorable!! Sounds like you had a storybook school life! I really love the short haircut!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Sheri, you had a wonderful childhood! I'm so glad you have all these beautiful memories. You were just lovely then and still are, my friend! Love seeing all the oldies but goodies! I also enjoyed seeing the pretty mountain with snow already! We didn't have burritos at our school--I guess growing up on the East Coast those delicious Latin dishes weren't popular yet. Have a wonderful week!

Susan Kane said...

Great memories. Kind teachers are so important. when I was in gr. school, I wanted that long hair with the curls. Judy Booth had this look, and I envied her.

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

En España es tiempo de verano y los alumnos tienen vacaciones los meses de Julio y Agosto.
Un abrazo.

Patricia said...

Dear Sheri, I loved your school years story - it was very similar to mine. We had good parents who guided us, and your mother was gifted at making beautiful costumes. I loved the photo of your teen party, and memories of those sweet times. I too like the country, and pass some horses on my walks. Those close up photos are fantastic: I have always liked and admired horses. Is not the snow dusted mountain beautiful? What a treat to see it. As you say, Autumn is the best of the Seasons. Happy Fall to you.

Louca por porcelana said...

Sweet remembrances and adorable photos. Hugs and blessings dear friend.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh, my goodness - just loved all the photos - glad you didn't lose those.
So, were you a cheerleader and a homecoming Queen? I bet you were. You are beautiful now and then. You seem wonderful and outgoing.
So nice your mom made all your costumes. Loved the pink princess one. I like your hair in curls.
The pixie was cute - I guess we all got them at one time - then you grew your hair long again.
I love the raccoon socks!
I am not surprised either that you did great in school. I did good in school too. I liked math. I think my least favorite was science.
Your home area is so beautiful. So crisp and colorful I guess your leaves are turning already.
The mountains are snowcapped.
Is it a lot like Big Bear? I have been there.
Lastly, I just LOVE those horses around you.
Sandie
Yet you say it is warm down below.

Rose said...

I enjoyed hearing about your school days and the photos...I need some time in nature.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Hi Sheri,
Enjoyed your post! My Mom always sewed all my school clothes. I wished for store bought. I eventually worked and bought all my own clothes. I was always working. My Mom didn't like Halloween for some reason. We went trick or treating as young kids though. Hope you have a great week!

Donna said...

Aww...How sweet of the principle to help you two out!
Love all the photos and the walk down memory lane! Sorry about your cousins!
Love the Fall shots...I'm SO ready!
hugs
Donna

Jeanie said...

I love this post, Sheri. What a wonderful way to commemorate the new school year. I remember all those haircut days! The fun of school. . . I don't think we ever had a boy-girl party (except for play cast parties.) I love seeing the vintage photos and I'm so glad you still have those. I bet the girls would laugh to see how different we are now -- how different THEY are now from what we were then. These triggered a walk down my old memory lane, too.

Kim said...

So sweet, Sheri! Love seeing all those pics of you when you were so young. Your nature pics are gorgeous! I had a short haircut for a bit, too! Did we all?? 😂

Debbie Nolan said...

Sheri - this was such a heartwarming post. Enjoyed reading and seeing your school pictures. You and I being of the same vintage have much in common...bet I have some similar school pics. Adored that painting of the school bus and children...makes me nostalgic for those days when life seemed challenging but in reality it was not. As always your nature shots warm my heart. Bless you for sharing. Hugs!

Marilyn Miller said...

It was fun to see you as a young girl with long hair, then short hair and then back again to long. Loved the horse and nature pictures and the memories of growing up and being a mom.

Terra said...

The horse has such wonderful expressions. I enjoyed seeing your school days photos and memories. How nice the principal suggested your friendship was worth renewing.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

It was so nice to read about your childhood school years and how happy you were. I do remember that pixie Mia Farrow cut! I had one too. It started me thinking about my elementary school days too!

Veronica Lee said...

I loved reading about your school years.
Your memories are so heartwarming and nostalgic, from the caring teachers and supportive principal to the homemade costumes your mom created.
It’s clear that those experiences shaped who you are today, and it’s touching to see how you cherish those moments.
I enjoyed each and every one of the photos, Sheri.

Hugs and blessings 🌹

The Happy Whisk said...

Hey Sheri, that was fun looking through the photos. I love that your mom made customers. Sewing is fun. Have a wonderful weekend. I'm almost done with my lunch break. Super duper ready for the weekend. Cheers, Ivy.

R's Rue said...

Happy September. Love you friend. Regine

Dewena said...

Sheri, I adore this post! It was wonderful seeing into your years in school. You were a very nice person, which is not a surprise to me. And still are now. Even the horse you met rrecently instinctively knew that!

Holly said...

Oh, the nostalgia of school days, your post reminds me of Rio Linda Highschool.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Love your childhood memories, Sheri! Isn't it amazing how the memories come back as we look back at pictures! I love how your mom made your costumes and was there for you! My mom was there for us as well. We thought we were poor because we had homemade bread in our lunches, and everyone else had store bread. We were so blessed! Your memories made memories come back for me too. Fall's beauty is showing up around here too! And yes, some mountains have snow on them too. Winter is not far away! Many blessings to you :)