Monday, August 19, 2024

Back To School.....Already!

Well, I lost my photo files again.  It's my own fault; sometimes I go too fast downloading and editing and deleting.  The pictures are still there, I just can't seem to open them up after I transferred them back to my files.  Renecke's very good with computer and technical stuff, so maybe he can retrieve them someday.  The computer can eat up my pictures, but it can't take away the memories I have spending time with my family in So Cal.  Thankfully, I have a few pics left of that trip.  Those memories are in my heart, and can't be deleted.....like all the shopping that me and the girls did, all the good food that I ate - Nel's chicken alfredo dish, Jess' hearty breakfast, Brian's barbecue chicken one night, and teriyaki chicken rice bowl the next.  And then there were the walks around the neighborhood I took with the kids, the treasured picture Francesca colored me, playing "library" with the kids, and all the movies we watched - I introduced Mia and Francesca to Mowgli on The Jungle Book.  And I won't forget spending time at the village with Nel, and getting our favorite tacos with warm chips and salsa.  They are the best!  And watching Jess' classroom come alive as she prepared it for the coming school year.  She got a lot done, while I took Charlotte for a walk around the playground.  So, this post will be one of 'this and that', and speaking of the school year, this is Francesca's first day of school.  Me and Jess went shopping to get some new school clothes for Francesca, as she was recovering from a bad cold and cough.  It felt like the old days, and I picked this dress out because it looked "back to school" to me, and surprisingly she liked it!

This is a tree Miss Jessi made for her classroom.  I thought it was so creative.

Mia had Birthday no. 6, and it was a Bluey Theme.  Nel made the cake, and how fantastic it was.  Mia helped her with it.  She starts school later, and has a little more time for summer fun.

When me and Nel were shopping at Hobby Lobby, we found this dish towel and pumpkin creamer, and we both bought them.



I went to a neighbor's yard sale over the weekend.  Didn't find anything, but it was nice chatting with the ladies.  They told me of another one they're having in September, and I said I'd try to go.  I've always liked yard sales, estate sales, craft fairs, flea markets, etc.



Had some Chinese food last week, and it was a treat, as that was the day I lost my pictures.





The Eurasian Collared Dove came to visit me and stayed for a time.  I absolutely love this bird.  He's a relative of the mourning dove, but the distinct black collar around its neck lets you know he's different.  They nest near houses where food is available for them.  Their call is soft and gentle and peaceful, and I hear them day and night.









I made a yellow cake, Yummy.



I've been watching a few Christmas shows lately.





Orange spice tea with cinnamon raisin toast.  Oh, so good.


Homemade nachos.



Well, that's all the pictures I have until next time.  I can feel a nip in the air, telling me that Fall is on its way. 🍎  It was in the 50's when I got in my car one morning to get groceries. 
  
~Sheri

28 comments:

R's Rue said...

Love your memories.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Shug said...

I enjoyed all of your memories right here along with you. I hope Franscesca has a very Blessed school year. Jess did a great job on the tree AND on the beautiful cake for Mia. She is very talented. I too have hidden my photos on my computer...more than one time. Thankfully, I've always been able to retrieve them. You had me with the TEA. I am so ready for Fall. Not going to be here this week though. We have a very HOT week ahead of us here. I can feel your love for Family and it sure makes life good.

Debby said...

I have quite a lot of the Eurasian doves that visit right when I’m starting to prepare dinner. There are two of them who like to just hang out on top of the bird feeder. I named them Lucy and Desi. I used to have the white doves in an outside aviary when I was in the Bay Area. They are very personable when they know you and recognize you. They’re just so sweet.
Boy Francesca looks like she’s gotten taller. I love that tree Jessi created for her classroom.

Another sign of Fall is the sound of a school bus! This morning we had children waiting for the school bus beside our house and I had no idea today was the first day of school. Love it. 🚌

Debby said...

I just checked - first day of school was last week.

Ginny Hartzler said...

The dress is so sweet; I love the flowers on it. The cake is really awesome!!! I love this tree. And now I need to look for a black collar on all our doves!

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Sheri,
The dress you selected is very sweet on Francesca!
All doves are sweet and gentle birds to have around the home.
You showed some great images of them.
Hoping you find your photos back.
Hugs,
Mariette

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Hopefully your son-in-law can retrieve your photos Sheri. I certainly enjoyed the photos you shared today. I wish a wonderful year to Francesca. Her dress is darling. The photo of her and Jess is so sweet. Your food always makes me hungry my friend. That icing on that cake looks great! Have a happy week.

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Lástima que por un despiste, hayas perdido los buenos recuerdos que tenían tus fotografías.
Un abrazo.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my where do I start? I too hope you get your photos back - I bet you will because I don't think they are missing missing.
Okay - all those meals you had with your daughters - she sounded wonderful to me - and no cooking! I am sure you helped with clean up knowing you.
I remember shopping with my mother for school and I am sure Francesca will too. I loved her dress. I bet she was so excited to go to school. They usually love school at that age.
Nice taking care of the baby while your daughter fixed her room - that helps teachers a lot!
I loved that pumpkin creamer! I like Jungle Book too.
Happy birthday Mia - I liked your cake but I don't know the characters on them???
Hopefully the garage sale will have more next time.
How do you stay so thin eating cake????
The nachos looked so good. YUM.
I love to watch Christmas shows any time of year. Have a cup of tea and the raisin toast.
And lastly - I get it about having to ignore people for peace!! lol
I did not know there were different Doves either - I will have to look.

Marilyn Miller said...

So happy you could be a part of the back to school event. It is such a wonderful time of the year for all the young students. I loved that season when I was little. Your food looks yummy. And I learned something new about varieties of doves. Aren't they just so so sweet.

Carla from The River said...

Hi, I love that you could be part of Back to School. :-)
I do hope you get your photos back and will share them with us when you do.
Thank YOU for the extra HUGS on my blog!!! Love YOU!!
Carla

Kim said...

Such a lovely post, Sheri! You are so blessed. I hope your SIL finds those pics for you! Congrats to Francesca for starting First Grade! My youngest grandson did also. He was really excited about it, too.

So much yummy food! And that cake! So pretty! Now I'm hungry, lol. Have a wonderful week, my friend!

Louca por porcelana said...

Precious time with your adorable Family! Hugs and blessings.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Sheri,
Your trip sounds so fun. I bet having time shopping was a blast and taking the kids for a walk too! Francesca looks so grown up and ready for 1st grade! Time sure does fly!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Barb temporarily lost her pictures the other day. They were somewhere on The Cloud, but it took her forever to find them. Tis the season to start putting out fall decor and watch Christmas movies! Cannot wait!

Julia said...

Hi Sheri. Thank you for the nice and thoughtful comment you left over on my blog. I l love that you have a granddaughter named Charlotte. I just love that name! Francesca looks adorable on her first day of school! I love her name too by the way. Your yellow cake with chocolate looks delicious! I also love watching Christmas movies! And you reminded me that I haven't had cinnamon raisin toast in way too long! I'm going to pick some up soon. Orange spice tea has always been a favorite of mine. I especially like it during the fall and winter months. Have a great day!

Rose said...

I love posts like this that are a bit of this and that. And those nachos look so delicious.

Estelle's said...

The sound of Doves..have loved this all the way back to childhood...school days have begun, and a temp in the 50's....how marvelous!

Donna said...

So sorry about the lost photos! Do you have the ICloud or Google Photos programs? Great back-ups!
Amazon offers a Amazon Prine photo back-up as well if you have an Amazon Prime account.
Happy first day!!
hugs
Donna

Susan said...

That was a charming post, Sheri. Just loved it. Oh, you did a LOT in Southern Cal. Sounded like so much fun! Loved all your descriptions, too. I'm sorry about the photo glitch. Sometimes I just WISH I had a private computer tutor who could sit next to me and help me figure things out. Fall nip is in the air here, too. Thank heavens! Have a wonderful rest of the week. Susan

Susan said...

P.S. The classroom tree was very creative. And that cake! Oh my GOODNESS. There's even a tiny bone for the dog on it. Amazing!

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful post! I'm sorry about your photos. They say nothing is gone forever online, so I'm hoping Reneke can figure out where they are! The school photos are great. You really packed your time, didn't you? That's the way it should be. Loved every photo you shared. Good food, good times.

Debbie Nolan said...

Sheri - Francesca's dress is so pretty. First day of school is such an exciting time. Sorry about all your wonderful photos - hopefully you will be able to have them retrieved. Amazing how much can be undone on the computer if you know the right techniques. The tea and raisin toast sounds like such a treat...that would be my choice. You had 50 in the morning - we have had as low as 42 this week. Definitely has a fall feel here. Suppose to be up close to 90 again this coming Saturday. So our summer is still around. Hugs!

LoveT. said...

The yellow cake looks so good!
The tree in the classroom was well done, a great idea.
I like the photos of the bird on the fence, they turned out really nice.
I hope it works and that you can restore the other photos too!

Veronica Lee said...

Despite the frustrations with losing your photo files, it's heartwarming to see how vividly you cherish the memories of your time in So Cal.
It sounds like you had such a wonderful time with your family, from the delicious meals to the special moments with the kids. Francesca’s first day of school must have been so exciting, and that tree Miss Jessi made for her classroom is just adorable! I love how you always find joy in the little things, like shopping at Hobby Lobby and sipping orange spice tea.
Here’s to more lovely moments and hopefully retrieving those lost photos soon!

Hugs and blessings, Sheri 🌹

Sandi said...

What a pretty dress! 🌷

The paper tree is a genius idea.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Sorry you lost your photos.. hopefully they will be retrieved eventually. You are so right about the memories. The photos you shared are lovely! Can't believe it's time for school again.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

So sorry you lost your pictures, I hope that is only temporary and that you will soon find them.

Francesca's dress is pretty, and so is she. I always dreaded the 1st day of school. Glad I don't have that to look forward to now. ;-)

I have doves visiting here but I don't know what kind they are. I love to hear their coo.

Have a lovely weekend ~ FlowerLady