Monday, July 1, 2024

A Hike At The Waterfalls

Jess came to visit me last week, and she stayed for five days!  We had an adventure every day, and drove a lot, walked a lot, and ate a lot.  It was good for her to spend some time in the mountains, as she's on summer break right now from teaching elementary school kids, and that can be a tiring and demanding job.  Over the next few weeks, I will share with you all that we did, and I'll start with our visit to the waterfalls, which are on the outskirts of my town.  Uncle b. joined us, and that made it more special.  Come along and see the stunning waterfalls in northern California.



The trail to the waterfalls was closed at the time, but we were able to walk another route to see them.  It was a nice day, and the weather was just right.







A lovely twisted old tree.



There is a creek also - the water flows from an underground spring near the falls, which flows into the lake.  It's almost as pretty as the falls.









A sentimental bench.



Alongside the creek, there is a wooden railing, and there are many carvings on it from people passing through.  This one said Tommy dear, and me and Jess loved it, as my dad's name was Tommy, and my brother-in-law, who is buried up here, is also named Tommy.



We stumbled on the Pacific Crest Trail, and talked with a young man from The Netherlands that was hiking the trail.  He was so nice and friendly, and making his way to Canada.





This hollow tree was very cool.



And a black butterfly was unusually pretty.



The Steller's Jay stopped by for a minute, but didn't stay long enough to get a good picture.





This is a bit of information about the pines in California, and the fires that we frequently get here.





Charlie Brown Christmas tree.



Anther view of the falls from a different angle.







Afterwards, we went inside the gift store and browsed, and I bought some huckleberry honey to go with my bisquits.



  When we got home, we were all craving Chinese food, so we dined at the restaurant and ate the most delicious meal.  Jess really enjoyed the food - Kung Pao Chicken, white rice, Chicken Chow Mein, Wontons, and Fried Shrimp.  It was a great day.



~Sheri

20 comments:

Debby said...

The Falls are the gem of our county! Theodore Roosevelt referred to our falls as the 8th wonder of the world!

We try to go up once a year. They’re doing a reconstruction of the main trail. I’m glad to see the backside was still open.
Love the stellar jays! Looks like a really nice outing. Beautiful country!
Enjoy the rest of your week and stay cool. It’s going to be a hot one!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Sheri, what lovely photos you have shared of the area you and your girls hiked! The waterfalls are beautiful! I enjoyed seeing Jess with her darling family. Charlotte has grown so much. It sounds like you had a great time that day and I look forward to hearing more about your visit. Great picture of you as well my friend!

Sandi said...

They must have put that memorial bench just where he liked to be. 💕

Shug said...

Sweet Sheri....I know you totally loved this visit from Jess and little Charlotte. What a great get-away from the sometimes very tiring days of teaching. The Falls are quite stunning and the sound of water running is so satisfying. Your area is beautiful and it is so nice that you all have the trails to walk. It is wonderful for us all to involve ourselves in Nature. I am looking forward to seeing all the exciting things you all did. It is times like this that fulfill us and leave us with so many precious memories. Chinese food sounds pretty good!!
hugs to you, Shug

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Sheri,
Can't believe how Charlotte has grown! Look at her expression in the final photo.
That is a stunning waterfall and surrounding.
How special that you ran into a former country man from The Netherlands!
Small world...
Hugs,
Mariette

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Buen lugar, para recrearse la vista. Viendo las maravillas que ofrece la naturaleza.
Qu tengas un feliz mes de julio.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I loved my trip with you. This is something I will never do, so it meant even more. The double waterfall is out of this world! And you got it from different angles! You must know the landscape very well to be able to go the alternate route. The Steller's Jay is my next favorite. We don't have them here, our version of them is the Blue Jay.

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

He disfrutado de la vista de unas cataratas, pero de eso hace ya lagún tiempo.

Que pases un mes de julio feliz.

LoveT. said...


Waterfalls are always a magical sight.
It's good that Jess was able to relax with you and that you experienced a lot together.
Charlotte has such a sweet face.

Wish you a wonderful July

Chatty Crone said...

Well your post was so much fun with your daughter and two granddaughters and your son too. Right? Nice she could take a vacation and visit you over the summer. Hope it was cool there.
The waterfall was just awesome looking - I wonder why it was closed for that day.
I loved the tree too and the creek. I guess you could look at it but not walk next to it?
Gramp McHugh must have been loved was well as Tommy.
I don't think I knew there were all black butterflies.
Cool meeting someone from the Netherlands walking to Canada.
I have never heard of a Steller jay bird - we do not have them here - their coloring is so unique and he had two blue eyes around his eyes.
So did the tree information say that you have NOT had fires in awhile? That is good news.
Was the huckleberry honey good?
And lastly you look really good in red.

Carla from The River said...

Hi, I love the bench... "we will always see you in the night sky."
I am so excited to hear all about your adventures.
I enjoyed seeing the waterfall... beautiful!!!!!
Carla

Susan Kane said...

What a walk!! The falls and waterways are impressive. Little girl and baby girl are so precious. You are a lucky g-ma.

Rose said...

Those waterfalls are beautiful...I have always loved/been fascinated with waterfalls. Do these have a name. I am going to enjoy hearing what all you girls did.

Jeanie said...

What a grand time you had! And oh, every photo is breathtaking -- I simply love them all. How fun to be with "your girls" -- Love the group photo. I hope you'll share ore of your time together!

Marilyn Miller said...

What a gorgeous falls. I do love the trees in your part of the world. Ending with Chinese food sounds perfect. What a lovely visit.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Sheri,
I love the falls too and the creek! So pretty and looks cool. So hot here and getting hotter. The kids have grown so much since last pictures!
Have a great week!

Donna said...

Such beautiful scenery! But those biscuits grabbed my attention! lol
hugs
Donna

Billie Jo said...

Hello, my lovely friend! What a wonderful post with your girls and all that amazing nature! I am so excited to see and hear more about the visit. Loved seeing it all!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Gorgeous scenery!
Wonderful trip visiting such a beautiful place.
Love the roses banner

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Sheri,
what a great place to visit. I love all the photos of the waterfalls and the nature around it. Looks like it was a wonderful day for everyone including that delicious dinner. Enjpy your time with them.