Monday, March 11, 2024

California Botanic Garden

Winter is still lingering here, and sometimes we can get the snow, rain, and cold until April, with a few warm days in between.  There is actually a gentle snow falling as I'm looking out my window right now....and I love it.  I just realized that I never shared my time at the Botanic Garden while I was in So Cal, and since Spring will arrive shortly, I thought it was a good time.



So, come along and walk with us while we enter the enchanting Botanic Garden.



I stopped to gaze at these pink bushes.  They were so lovely and looked like a bubble gum pink.



We rested along the way, and sat at these picnic tables.  Nel made us a wonderful picnic lunch, and packed it all in her basket that she got from England.  Her colleagues that she's working with on the study abroad, sent it to her with a bunch of tea goodies inside as a thank you gift for working with their students.



We came upon the most magical area.  I thought a gnome or fairy would pop out at any moment.  This twisted old tree is the most beautiful tree I've ever seen, literally.  My photo doesn't reveal just how unusual and special it was.



Such Silence by Mary Oliver

As deep as I ever went into the forest

I came upon an old stone bench, very, very old,

and around it a clearing, and beyond that

trees taller and older than I had ever seen.

Such silence!

It really wasn't so far from a town, but it seemed

all the clocks in the world had stopped counting.

So it was hard to supposed the usual rules applied.

Sometimes there's only a hint, a possibility.

What's magical, sometimes, has deeper roots

than reason.

I hope everyone knows that.

I sat on the bench, waiting for something.

An angel, perhaps.

Or dancers with the legs of goats.

No, I didn't see either.  But only, I think, because

I didn't stay long enough.

Then, we passed the most dazzling golden tree.  I had to take a picture of Nel and Mia standing next to it.



There were so many exotic flowers and plants and shrubs and trees.



It was a really nice and memorable time walking through the Botanic Garden.  If you're ever in the area, I do hope you visit.



~Sheri


24 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Sheri - your photos lifted my heart. Especially that tree - looks like it would come right out of a fairy tale. Your walk through this botanical garden was such a delight. It looks just like a special place I'd enjoy visiting. Take care and "keep looking up"...spring will be here soon. Hugs!

R's Rue said...

Thank you for sharing nature’s beauty with us

LoveT. said...

Great Photos from the botanic garden. I love the Such Silence Poem, it is beautiful.
Have a good start in a new week Sheri

Chatty Crone said...

I had never heard that poem before, but it fit perfectly in the Botanic Garden - we have one here, but I have never gone.
Seven days until spring officially arrives, but it is already spring here in Georgia.
What a nice gift Nel received and the picnic lunch seemed so special. Mia looked in amazement.
The two flower photos at the end were gorgeous.
My favorite was that tree - I just LOVE trees. I think they can sort of even tell a story of sorts.
Nice, sandie

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Sheri,
That no doubt was a wonderful visit at the Botanical Garden.
Just the joy of finding color and admiring nature in its many forms.
Lovely picnic basket and what a special way to spend with three generations.
Hugs,
Mariette

Shug said...

Good day Sheri. I love that big ol tree with all the huge branches. I'm with you, one can almost picture Gnomes living there. That is what I call a climbing tree. I loved climbing trees when I was young. California truly has some of the prettiest flowers and foliage. I love visiting out there. Looks like this was a great, fun-filled day for you all. Enjoyed seeing the photos in this post. Have a good Monday...

Zacisze Lenki said...

A wonderful botanical garden, almost magical. Thank you Sheri for sharing your beautiful photos. All the best to you. Hugs

Hena Tayeb said...

So beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Marilyn Miller said...

Love the poem.
Ohhhh! The garden reminds me of growing up in California.
The fluffy pink flowers were always on my mother's garden.
That tree is amazing.
Thanks for sharing!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

What a beautiful garden, Sheri. It's wonderful Nel packed a lunch in her lovely hamper. Picnics are so great when enjoyed with such lovely surroundings. Mia and Nel are so pretty next to the tree with the yellow blooms! And that tree is magical like you said---amazing! Thank you for sharing this lovely day with us, my friend. Thank you also for the Mary Oliver's thoughts--she is one of my favorites. Have a great week ahead.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

The gardens are beautiful Sheri. Thank You for sharing! Have a wonderful week!

Lux G. said...

I'd love to visit that garden soon. I like being in nature.

roughterrain crane said...

Yes. Your photo fully reveals the greatness of the old tree. It's like a magical tree in picture books.

Jeanie said...

Oh Sherry, what a glorious time! And how wonderful that you could spend it with your favorite girls! The Oliver poem is a wonderful accompaniment to your beautiful photos.

Susan said...

Oh, Sheri, I would LOVE that Botanical Garden. It's so refreshing to see flowers and plants and green while still in the midst of winter. Loved seeing your daughter and granddaughter, too. And oh, the flower photos are glorious! Thanks so much for sharing your magical visit! Hugs, Susan

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What a glorious day together - so many special moments and views to hold in your heart forever! Makes me realize I need to go to the Botanical Gardens an hour south of us, and I'm sure some early spring blooms are on display there. There is just nothing like a picnic lunch - that is one of our family's favorite things to do - pack a lunch, and go exploring! Such joy in the heart - love the joy in all the pictures! Blessings to you :)

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

El amor hacia las plantas, se inculca desde pequeño. Es bonito ver a los niños, disfrutando de ese hermoso jardín.
Un abrazo.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lovely poem, great post that lifts the heart
That tree is magical!

Louca por porcelana said...

Adorable photos! Best wishes.

Patricia said...

I love Botanic gardens, and this one is so lovely. The twisted tree is just amazing, is it an Oak tree, I wonder? The English picnic basket is beautiful, and would be a special touch at any picnic. I am sure you all had a fantastic day among the blooms.

Carla from The River said...

Hello Friend,
I am a fan of Mary Oliver, thank you for sharing her works along with your lovely adventure and photos.
Carla

DeniseinVA said...


A charming series of photos Sheri. You painted such a pretty scene of the snow falling. I always love looking at your photos but am especially delighted with my virtual trip to this botanical garden. It has an inspiring message on their sign. The English picnic basket was a very thoughtful gift, memories abound every time Nel uses it I’m sure. Sweet photos of your beautiful granddaughter and daughter. Those flowers are gorgeous, and the trees are nature at its best. I enjoyed Mary Oliver's poem and have several of her books. I need to pick them up again and this is a great reminder. Thank you for the virtual trip to a garden I have now put on my bucket list. We are hoping for a road trip next year and California is on that list. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will happen. Happy Friday to you, and a happy weekend my friend :)

Veronica Lee said...

A picnic amidst such beauty, with a basket full of treats from England, sounds enchanting.
And Mary Oliver's poem perfectly captures the magic you encountered in the Botanic Garden.

Hugs and blessings, Sheri 🌹

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

What a great place to practice your close-up photography skills. Love yours, you did a great job!