Monday, September 7, 2026

September Smiles

 I love the month of September.  It has always been a calm month for me, except when my little ones were in school, and all the activities were busily piling up.  Nel and Renecke's anniversary is in Sept, along with two special birthdays - my mother's and Mother Mary's, which are just two days apart.  (The Catholic Church celebrates Mary's birthday on September 8).  The deer seem to come around in Sept, and one surprised me the other day on my front porch.  She was so close, looking out my window, and I didn't take any pics because sometimes we just have to enjoy the moment for what it is.  We had rain last week, and some chilly days.



A comforting food I always make in September is oatmeal, adding a little of this and that.



Brother-in-law came in for a visit, and we talked about everything - family, politics, food, life.  We don't always agree on everything, and if I ever get elevated in discussions on certain topics, let's just say he knows me. ; )  I made him a cup of coffee and some pastry bites.  He's never tried them before, and since I bought two packs, I popped one in the oven.  He loved them.



A batch of Dolly's pumpkin spice cookies to remember her. *I placed a piece of Hershey's chocolate in a few, because cookies just taste better with chocolate. 🍫🍫🍫







A simple meal of chicken with soul food seasoning.



When I have leftover chicken, I love to make chicken salad sandwiches.



The kids are all in school now.  I do hope they have a good year doing well in their subjects, school projects, and everything in between.  Oh, I remember being excited about that first week of school, and picking out those favorite outfits to wear.

Changed my coffee cup to one with a mountain scene because when fall arrives, these mountains are so pretty.





My blog friend, Susan, who has been with me since I started blogging, sent me a couple of gifts in the mail.  This is one of them.  It reminds me of my three grandgirls, Francesca, Mia, and little Charlotte.  It was a thoughtful gift, and I don't see these porcelain figurines at the vintage shops that often.  They are hard to find, and she knows how much I love them.



I can't forget about caramel and apples this time of year either.  Instead of the plastic wrapped caramels, I found these mini Caramel Bits.  Just melt some with butter and dip the apples in.  I can only have a couple, as it's such a sweet treat and I have to watch my sugar intake.



So much to smile about in September.

28 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a good idea about the caramel bits. I love the pretty black & white checkered outfit! Your food always looks so good, and the mug is beautiful.

Neuer Gartentraum said...

ear Sheri,
there really is so much to smile about in your September. I especially loved what you wrote about the deer at your window. As someone who enjoys taking photographs, I know the temptation to reach for the camera immediately. But you are right, sometimes it is even nicer simply to stay still and enjoy a special moment while it is happening.

I also enjoyed all the little memories woven through this post. Baking Dolly’s cookies, thinking of your grandchildren when you look at Susan’s thoughtful gift, and remembering those exciting first days of school all give September a very personal warmth.

Perhaps that is what I liked most about your post. Happiness is so often found in these ordinary moments, a visit, something delicious from the kitchen, a thoughtful gift, or even a deer unexpectedly appearing outside the window.

Wishing you many more September smiles.

Warm greetings from Germany,
Anette

photowannabe said...

Love your mugs for Fall. Ummm, yummm on anything caramel. Beautiful figurine of your "3". Your friend knows you so well.
Happy chicken salad sandwiches !!! I love those too.
The weather is just about perfect today. Not too hot and not too cool.
hugs
Sue

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Hello dear Sheri, what beautiful and heartwarming photos, dear friend! And your food looks delicious! I am thoroughly enjoying the cooler and comfortable temperatures! Not hot and humid and not cold, just cool and beautiful!

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

I love that mug! I haven’t tried the feta cheese and caramelized onion on pastry crust yet, but they look amazing. I’ll definitely have to include them for the holidays, if not sooner. That sweet figurine of your three granddaughters was a very nice gift from your friend. During Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year), we have apples and honey, which is a symbolic tradition used to express the hope for a good and sweet new year. Lovely photos as always, Sheri.

Susan said...

Sweet post, Sheri. Loved it. I hope your week is totally blessed. Susan

Chatty Crone said...

I love September too. It is the sign to me that summer is over and fall is beginning.
I can't wait until cooler weather - which it looks like you are having already.
Are you say Mother Mary's birthday as in Jesus's mother?
I do love oatmeal too. I just use some milk and it tastes so good. Love the pumpkin pitcher. Your granddaughter is so cute and grown up! Wow. Those tree colors are awesome - is that a picture of your area? Love the little caramel bits. And I found some Betty Crocker Pumpkin Cookies to make that you told me about last year! Busy time of year for sure.

Patricia said...

Oh yes, Sheri, it is Mary's birthday on 8th September. I learnt that in school, but forgot until you reminded me. I have never seen Dolly's pumpkin spice cookies, but what a treat and a nice way to remember a lovely lady. Your coffee cup is so pretty and I love the beautiful photo of the Autumn leaf trees. It is the best Season. The three little girls is a perfect gift for you; I bet the girls love it too.

Veronica Lee said...

September really does hold so many gentle joys, Sheri. I loved reading about the deer at your window -- such a rare gift to simply pause and take in the moment. Dolly’s cookies with chocolate sound heavenly, and that mountain mug feels like the perfect welcome to fall. Your post is full of heart. 🌹

Jeanie said...

that's one of the prettiest coffee cups I've ever seen. What a great post! You are definitely enjoying life so happily. I love your relationship with your brother-in-law. And those cookies look so good. Lots of autumn coming your way with a deer peeking in! Oatmeal is such a good fall food. And oh, those little girls! Getting big!

Marilyn Miller said...

Your post puts my in the fall/autumn spirit. What a lovely, cozy time of the year. The little 3 girls pottery piece is perfect for you and all the food looks yummy!

Carla from The River said...

Hello Sheri,
The last quote I am writing down in my quote book. It means a great deal to me. Thank you for sharing it.
I love the porcelain figurines.
The photo you took with the coffee cup and the candle in the background it is so pretty.
:-)

photowannabe said...

HaHa, I came to your blog again and was looking at all of your cute mugs. Then I looked at what I was drinking my morning coffee out of today ... Its my Merry Christmas mug !!!!
I guess I am rushing the season a bit. I continue to use it because I like the feel and the lip and it being white on the inside. (makes the coffee just seem to taste better.)
Anyhoo ... have a terrific rest of the week.
Sue

Red Rose Alley said...

Thank you for following us, Neuer-Gartentraum. I appreciate that very much.

LoveT. said...

Susan's gift is absolutely adorable.

Your coffee mug is pretty.
Autumn is such a wonderful season. I love everything about it.

Have a lovely September, Sheri.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

So many fun things for fall . September is a fun month. I have not seen the Dolly Parton cookie mix- love it and I love that cute bow in your granddaughter's hair. She looks so cute in her outfit. I enjoy seeing your mugs too. Beautiful photo of the fall trees!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

A sweet post, Sheri, with all the wonderful fall 'feels' threaded throughout. My eldest son was born on our Dear Lady's birthday, and we named him Gabriel in honor. Seeing the deer at your window was truly special and a moment to savor. Your little granddaughter is so cute in her new dress for school. All my grandsons have started school, too, and I love hearing about their days and accomplishments whenever I see them. I do remember those busy days of getting the kids off to school and the bittersweet feeling of seeing them off. Life flies by so fast, and here we are grandmothers now, watching our own children going through those busy days. That's nice that your brother-in-law stops by to visit and you share good conversation and yummy treats. Your coffee mug is very nice, and I love the precious figurine that your friend sent you. I hope you have a good end to your week, with a little sunshine to make you smile. Hugs xo K

Donna said...

Mia is getting so big! She’s adorable 💕
Love the gift your friend sent! So sweet of her.
Happy weekend friend!
Hugs
Donna 🌷

Louca por porcelana said...

Adorable statue of children, so kind of your friend. Pretty mugs too. I wonder if I could paint one like that... Mia is so cute! I do love September, my eldest son and my Mom were born this month, so much to celebrate! Hugs, dear Sheri.

R’s Rue said...

Love you friend

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I have never seen Carmel bits. I will have to check at Walmart for those. Easier then unwrapping them. My daughter made Dolly cupcakes and they were tasty for a boxed mix. Spring and fall are my favorite times. I love all the colors of fall. I think I will make a pumpkin pie today after school. My daughter loves pumpkin pie. Have a great weekend!

roughterrain crane said...

I like rains in early September, too. They seem to cure our fatigue during summer.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Enjoying the deer from the window is a special moment. Love the caramel apple dip.
May

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

There really is something special and comforting about September and October for that matter. Your grandgirls are absolutely beautiful.

Susan Kane said...

I remember how wonderful fall was when I lived in Illinois. It was a special time, my favorite time of the year. Sweet girls!

Linda O'Connell said...

Just when I think I have viewed the prettiest, thrilling, or cutest picture on your blog, I scroll down and find even more. Yes fall is in the air for me, too. The temperature is still too hot, but soon fall will arrive.

DeniseinVA said...

I have had fun catching up today. I expect your granddaughters are having a wonderful time at school. Mia looks tres chique in her outfit, in fact I admire all of your grandchildren’s styles. Dolly’s cookies looked delicious. I would have added chocolate too. Thanks for another great post Sherry. Happy end of September to you.

Bety said...

You’ve had such interesting moments, Sheri! That close encounter with the deer seems so exotic and unusual to me. We have wild animals in Bulgaria, but they stay in the forests; we might catch a glimpse of them occasionally if we’re out in the woods. Your mug is lovely, too. I also like changing my mugs according to the season. Wishing your granddaughters a successful school year!