Monday, September 28, 2026

A Visit To The Lake And Other Things

 My county is widely considered one of the most stunning and scenic areas of northern California.  It offers us mountain peaks, serene lakes, and lush forests.  I make it a point to visit nature in my town, but I wanted to see the lake at the start of fall, which is on the outskirts of my town.  My son came with me, and I'm glad, as there are mountain lions and other animals lurking in the wild.  We first got a breakfast burrito and a coffee and then drove over to the lake.  It was as pretty as I remember it last time, and here's a few pics.













Not sure what these red berries were, but they looked like a Christmas card.  *thank you, Shug, for identifying it as the Pyracantha bush.    



The other side of the lake.



The fall leaves were changing color, and were much more vibrant at the lake than anywhere in town.





This is the dock area facing the sun.





The waterfalls are very close to the lake, so I wanted to go there next, but the parking lot was full when we arrived.  So, do you think I would leave without seeing the falls?  Nope, I know the side roads and shortcuts in every town I've lived in, and managed to see these majestic falls once again.  I'll have to return this autumn because the area I drove through I could only see the falls through the trees.  Very pretty though.





School Picture Day!  When Nel showed me this picture of Mia it reminded me so much of the dress I wore on picture day in third grade.

I know, what was my eight-year-old self thinking back then?  I wanted a pixie cut really bad, and my mom agreed to chop all my hair off.  She was good that way; she always let me express myself with clothes and hairstyles.  When I was a child, I had blondish-brown hair.  This was my favorite dress, and I think my mom got it at JC Penney for that first week of school.

You know, I've tried many coffee brands over the years, and I always come back to Starbuck's.  The House Blend, French Roast, and Pike Place Roast are my favorites.



Some fun facts about Starbucks:

*It is the largest coffeehouse chain in the world, and operates in more than 80 countries  worldwide.

*When the first store opened in Seattle in 1971, it sold whole-bean coffee and equipment.  They did not sell their first latte until 1983.

*The Twin-Tailed Mermaid: the famous logo features a siren from Greek mythology.

*The first Starbuck's holiday cup debuted in 1997.  And it was purple, not red.

*The famous Pumpkin Spice Latte was invented in 2003.

Nel and Jess and I always get excited when the new holiday cups come out.



It was a fun week.  I met brother-in-law at the Chinese Restaurant.  I don't know if I was hungry or what, but it was exceptional this time - spicy soup, kung pow chicken, rice, egg roll, crab with cream cheese wonton, chow mein, and coke.  Then, I headed over to the new boutique in town.  They have a nice clothing line and good quality, but most of the sweaters were cropped, and I don't care for cropped tops.  How 'bout you?



  Some pretties in town.  Isn't it funny how daisies remind me of my mom when I don't remember her particularly liking them?





After that third-grade pixie cut, I've had long hair ever since.



~Welcome October~


27 comments:

Shug said...

Good morning Sheri... the bush with the berries looks so much like a pyracantha bush...the beauty that surrounds your area is stunning...and I love the trees that you all have up in that area. I've kinda been shopping coffee's. Many people do love starbucks, but it is a little too strong for me. I've been drinking "Pete's" coffee... The flowers in town are so pretty...and I love the daisy's! I imagine your town as being one that has beautiful flower pots hanging and just so quaint. Enjoy your week...hopefully we are going to get rain... hugs.

R's Rue said...

Love you friend.

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

What a lovely post with all the nice photography! I know that lake, and yes, our county is truly spectacular with all the natural beauty. My son has gone fishing there.

I have always enjoyed Peet's; they started in Berkeley and were popular in the Bay Area for a while until Starbucks took over every street corner. Here, Dutch Bros is popular. I no longer go to those places; they're too expensive, and I don't drink coffee past 9 a.m. anymore - a real change from what I used to do. Drink coffee till 3 in the afternoon, and I could still get to sleep at night.
I hope you have a wonderful week, Sheri. God bless

photowannabe said...

Love that 3rd grade pixie !!! Its so nice seeing photos of you.
I do like Starbucks. There are many in our area that it was just announced are closing very soon.I do like their Chai Lattes alot.
Nope I don't care for cropped tops. Gotta cover me up more than that. (:0)
Sweet Mia. Love her smile.
hugs
Sue

My Tata's Cottage said...

Hi Sheri, good to see you here, I love all the beautiful photos you took. The lake is so lovely. I think wildlife is everywhere. Recently the law in a city over from us were able to capture a mountain lion and return him to his home in the mountains. There were some awful fires in Colorado this year. I am thankful the weather is cooling down a bit. I don't go to Starbucks too much. But I like coconut milk and as a special treat my husband Avery and I head to Dutch Bros. for special treat. I did love the lavender coffee from Starbucks. My husband likes strong coffee. I am not a fan of the cropped tops. More for the younger kids plus I am short so I need to look taller not shorter heehee. I am grateful I stopped by to say hi. Have a blessed new week.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a treat to see you; you are beautiful!! And that pixie haircut was perfect. Mia looks just perfect, her hair, her shoes, and her outfit. Your lake, falls, and tree photos are gorgeous, like something from a documentary!! We love Starbucks and have Pike Place roast in our kitchen. Phil drinks it every day. I hate crop tops, except if one is young with a great figure. You had asked me where I got my fall bookshop painting on my fall living room post. I got it at Hobby Lobby and I think it was under $15.00. The pumpkins are painted on the glass front, and the rest is behind the glass.

Carla from The River said...

Hi Sheri,
What a fun post, sharing things and people that you love. :-)
I love the quote you share at the end of your post.
Happy October Days to you.
xo

Louca por porcelana said...

WOWWWW! Stunning landscapes, you live at a wonderful place! Adorable photos of you and Mia. Have a lovely week ahead. Blessings.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I don't blame you for wanting to go and see the lake. The pics are gorgeous.. Good you son went to keep you company. Your granddaughter looks lovely for her first day of school. and it's amazing you can remember things from being 8 years old. I have no idea what I wore on the first day or any day to school. Lol... Lovely post thanks.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful lake, in autumn water reflections are magical. Cute how you both wore blue plaid. The foods sound delicious.
No to cropped tops unless they are over a bulky sweatshirt.
Happy Autumn!
May

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Oh how I love a fall drive to see the colors! Your lake looks very similar to the lake close to where we live! I love the beautiful colored leaves, and so nice to see the waterfalls too! Our favorite coffee is a local coffee shop that roasts their own beans. Mia is so precious, and how special that you share the green plaid in your pictures! Enjoy the lovely fall days!

DeniseinVA said...

It certainly is an idyllic place for a breakfast picnic with your son Sheri. I remember my times up in the mountains when we lived in Southern California. Absolutely breathtaking as your photos show. Sweet photo of Mia, as was the one of you then and now. I also enjoyed the image and the lovely quote it contained. Another delightful visit to your part of the USA.

Chatty Crone said...

You home is in a fantastic area - you are so blessed. The scenery is spectacular. You can drive an hour, and the weather can be totally different.
Glad you went with your son to visit the scenery and the reflection of the trees on the water is so pretty. Lunch sounded nice too.
I am sure you will be back and will see the falls again.
Mia is pretty - she looks like her mother. Love the tennis shoes.
Your pixie was cute - it looked like you had reddish colored hair. I like your hair long too.
I love Starbucks French Roast. I guess I didn't know about the holiday cups. My husband does not like Starbucks.
I loved the meme and could picture you in it - and I want to be there too! It would be fun to be together.

Nellie said...

Hi, Sheri! Somehow I “managed” to reach your blog! I’ve always loved following you to see what is happening where you are! Such marvelous pictures!

Jeanie said...

This sounds like the most wonderful week, Sheri! I especially love that you were able to share your lake experience with your son. And what a gorgeous spot it was. I can see why the falls were so popular and I know you will be back. All glorious. All that and a great sweater and fun times out. Posts like this just make me smile!

Neuer Gartentraum said...

Dear Sheri,
what a beautiful place for an autumn outing. I especially love the reflections on the lake and those first bright fall colours. And I had to smile when you refused to give up on the waterfalls just because the parking lot was full. You obviously know your way around!
But what stayed with me most from this post were all those little connections between the present and the past. Mia’s school picture suddenly taking you back to your own third-grade picture, and the daisies reminding you of your mother even though you cannot quite explain why. I think memories often work exactly like that. A flower, a dress or a familiar expression can suddenly open a little door to something we had not thought about for years.
I also loved what you wrote about your mother allowing you to express yourself through your clothes and hairstyles. Even if you later decided that one pixie cut was enough for a lifetime! I think you looked rather sweet.
As for cropped sweaters, I will happily leave those to someone else. There are some fashions I can admire perfectly well without feeling any need to participate in them!
Happy October, Sheri!
Warm greetings,
Anette

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

A beautiful untouched land

Connie said...

What an enjoyable post. Loved it all!
Your school dress from JC Penneys brought back a memory of looking through the Penneys, Montgomery Wards and Sears catalogs and picking new school clothes.

Patricia said...

What beautiful photos of the lake, Sheri. You do live in a spectacular place, with the Autumn leaves, the red berries, and stunning waterfall. I would want to visit all the time. A dear photo of you aged 8, with a cute pixie cut. It is one of those things we try once, but you found your look with your beautiful long hair. Crop tops are a No for me. They ride up and I find them uncomfortable. Happy October.

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Sheri - what a gorgeous set of photos...I cannot wait to see the falls when the colors change. You certainly live in a lovely spot in the world. Adore your cottage whimsy. Would it not be lovely to share a good cup of Star Buck's coffee together and have a beautiful visit. Mia is adorable and growing up so fast. Your picture reminds me of my pixie cut from that same era. Like you I have worn my hair long and not had it cut that short ever since. So glad you got to enjoy time with your son. Good idea to take him along when there are mountain lions and such. Besides it is fun to share such beauty with someone you love. Have a great start to October - Hugs!

LoveT. said...


How picturesque this lake looks in the sunshine. You’ve taken some wonderful shots of it. The photo with the red berries turned out great. It really looks like a scene for a Christmas card.

I wish you a wonderful October, Sheri. I hope the weather stays sunny like this for a while longer.

Veronica Lee said...

What a treat to read this, Sheri! The lake looks gorgeous, and I can almost feel the crisp autumn air through your photos. Mia’s school picture is precious, and I had to smile at your pixie cut memory -- I think many of us have one hairstyle from childhood we never repeated! And yes, cropped sweaters are definitely not for me either. 😊

Susan said...

Oh Sheri, that was a great post with stunning photos. You really do live in a luscious area, filled with the beauty of Mother Nature. God's country! Loved the photos of Mia and of you, too! You are still adorable and I'm glad your hair is long! Regarding coffee, Dunkin is my favorite although there are plenty of Starbucks establishments all over the place. Take care, dear Sheri. Weekend's coming! Susan

Estelle's said...

Wishing you a very happy autumn season Sheri! I love seeing your latest adventure and visiting with your family! How lovely that you share this with so many of your readers! What a lovely picture of you!

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Hi Sheri,
It was another busy week, so just catching up. Im so glad you got to see the leaves changing colors. They are so pretty. I also had a pixie hair cut when I was young. I have long hair too. My favorite coffee is Dunkin Donuts Decaf. I get it at Walmart. I haven't had Chinese food i years since my Mom was alive. It was her favorite. I hope you have a wonderful fall week!

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Una buena visita a la Naturaleza y ver las maravillas que hay en ella.
Un cariñoso saludo.

Marilyn Miller said...

Nope, no cropped tops. Mia's picture does definitely remind of your picture. How fun! Your lake and surroundings are always so pretty in every season.