Monday, January 15, 2024

My Time At Nel's House

I just spent time visiting with all the family, and it went well into the new year.  I stayed with Nel and Jess, and they are both so gracious with their homes and making their mama feel welcome.  I will start out with my stay at Nel's house, and I have to mention that this will be a photo-filled post.

We went to the village, like we always do, and did some shopping and picked up some blueberry Danishes at the bakery, which is a favorite outing for us.



Mia got a princess kitchen for Christmas.  I would have loved one of these as a kid.



Nel is having a fun time decorating her new home.  I thought these nets were creative to put all of Mia's stuffed animals in.  She has one on both corners of the room.



I've always loved this jar filled with pearls.



She made this earring holder that hangs in her closet.



She has a tea corner in her kitchen, and she just got these delightful Alice in Wonderland teas.  She made me some Starbuck's chamomile tea, which was really tasty and calming.



I thought this wine cover was funny - it's the pj's Ralphie wore in 'A Christmas Story.'



Nel usually doesn't let her cat out past 3:00.  She lives surrounded by the mountains, and there are coyotes in her area, so she doesn't let him out at night.  But someone (me) let him out cause he was purring, and we were just so glad that he returned home later that evening.



Nel and Renecke went to a new year's eve party, and the theme was 70's Disco.  She had absolutely nothing to wear, so we spent the day at the mall looking for something.  I sometimes wish I had kept my blue satin Disco pants haha.  Such fun times to look back on.



I watched Mia on new year's eve, and we had a wonderful time doing things and spending time together.  I bought her this little gingerbread cloth doll, and she named her "ginger."  



She got a light-up board for Christmas that was really cool, and I wrote a message to her.



We watched a movie, cut out snowflakes with colored construction paper, and I made her some hot chocolate with yummy toppings.



On new year's day, we watched the Rose Parade, which is a So Cal new year's tradition.



Mia played Barbie's with me, and I loved every minute of it, as I was a Barbie girl growing up.



When I was in Mia's room, I looked over, and hanging on a hook was the veil that Nel and Jess wore for their Holy Communion when they were only 7.



Nel made grandma's enchiladas one night, which were delicious, and another night she made the Greek dish, Pastitsio, which is like a lasagne.  I think it was her best one yet, so creamy and good.



Nel bought me some new year's roses, which were so pretty.



One day, me and Mia went for a walk in the neighborhood.  Nel has a big bush of these flowers in her front yard.







And in the back yard, there was a lovely poinsettia.



I had coffee and tea in this cup all week, and nibbled on these shortbread cookies that Renecke's uncle gifted them.  They were the best.



It really was wonderful spending time at Nel's house, and I will show you what we did at Jess' house next time.

~Sheri

 

32 comments:

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Sheri,
Such a bubbly—happy post about your time with Nel and family!
Those hammocks in the corner for stuffed animals are genius.
Loved seeing Nel has our favorite Camellia in her garden—https://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2022/01/our-camellia-japonica-debutante-in.html
And the First Communion Veil... memories distance themselves in years but they stay in our hearts!
Hugs,
Mariette

Debby said...

Oh Sheri I really enjoyed your post. Love that pink princess kitchen! I never had a play kitchen as a kid but when I had my daycare business, I bought one and enjoyed watch the children playing with it! I really like that jar of pearls, too. Hmmm, now I know how to display some of my mom’s pearl necklaces that came undone! Mia is such a pretty little girl. Those beautiful flowers are breathtaking. Such a nice visit that will continue to pay dividends in all of your memories. God bless.

LoveT. said...

The Alice Tea Cups are lovely. Also the net for the stuffed Animals is a great Idea, it looks cute. Nel and her Family have a wonderful home.
Have a good start in the new week Sheri

Shug said...

Hi Sheri.. I enjoyed your post filled with pictures. Looks and sounds like you had a great visit. How fun it is to play kitchen and barbies when the kiddos are young. I know you sure enjoyed this. You just can't beat spending time with family, enjoying great food and making sweet memories. Great post!

ashok said...

Cheerful post...loved all the pics

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

A fun visit filled with beautiful people.
The light up on New Years is precious.

Susan said...

Nice post, Sheri. Nel looked beautiful in her sparkly skirt! Is her husband Greek? Mia is adorable, too. All the decorating photos were delightful to look at. Sounds like you had a truly marvelous time. I am so happy for you. Hugs. Susan

Chatty Crone said...

Good afternoon - well that was a wonderful post with lots of pictures.
Let me see if I can remember:
It has to be nice to have both girls in the same area so you can see them both.
I have NEVER seen that Princess Kitchen - what a nice gift Mai received - I bet she was thrilled.
Those nets - wish I had thought of them - or that they had them - great idea.
Well, the flowers in California grow all the time, don't they? So many pretty ones including your roses.
You love your tea and coffee!
I am so glad the cat came back - I know you were relieved.
The Disco outfits were so cute. I know you had fun with Mia. I have never seen a light up board - what will they think of next.
Communion veils and grandma's old recipes - a blast from the past.
And of course, Ginger for the gingerbread doll.
You had a great time.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love the corner nets holding the toys! And the cool tea shelves. Sounds like you had so much fun with Mia. Pastitsio is not easy to make, you have to cook three different things, and then combine them. But it is so good! Do you know what the beautiful flowers are? They make the coolest looking disco couple! Break out the Abba albums!

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Momentos felices, que nunca se olvida, son las reuniones familiares.

Un abrazo

Hena Tayeb said...

Aww looks like you had a wonderful time with your girls.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

That Ralphie wine cover is hilarious! Looks like you had a good time with Mia making some very special memories.

Louca por porcelana said...

Really adorable! Precious time!!!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Sheri, I love seeing your time at Nel's. What a grand time you had with Mia. I think I've mentioned before that she really looks like you! You both had a great New Year's Eve while Nel and her husband look great ready for their party. Love the hot chocolate additions--how fun. Nel's home looks great and I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with her. Have a lovely evening remembering the good times you had.

Pilar said...

I'm glad you had a nice visit with Nel! Mia looks a lot like you Sheri! My dear friend I hope your New Year is going well!

Patricia said...

What a lovely time you had at Nel's, making beautiful Christmas memories. The pink kitchen is a child's dream come true, and how happy Mia will be playing with it. That is a great photo of you two together, with Ginger the doll. The First Communion veil is a treasure, old memories are so precious. I think I still have mine here, up in a cupboard somewhere!

Jeanie said...

Your family is so lovely and I'm glad you had such a good time. Of course, why wouldn't you! Nel has some wonderful touches in her home like that tea area. And Mia is a little doll! I'll bet you had a wonderful NYEve! I like that light board -- i haven't seen one of those but might put that on the list for Carson's birthday. Now that he's in first grade he might get into something like that! Oh, and that kitchen! That's adorable! So happy it was a wonderful visit!

Donna said...

Oh, it sounds like you had a wonderful visit! Such a beautiful family...The roses are gorgeous!
I don't think I was a Barbie girl...lol
Mia is beautiful!
hugs
Donna

Debbie Nolan said...

Sheri - your new year's eve with Mia looked like it was wonderful. What memories you are creating with her. Your daughter and son in law look cool in their disco outfits. Glad the kitty returned safe (I am sure you were relieved as well). Love the wine bottle cover - now that makes me smile. Missed watching this old classic this year. Well take care dear friend. Hope your weather is being kind...it is very cold here.

Marilyn Miller said...

So happy you could spend time with family over the New Year.
When I was a young adult, my husband and I once took a bunch of high school kids to the Rose Parade. We spent the whole night on the parade route. What a memory.
Your tea times and food sounds just so special; but most of all was time with your granddaughters.

Estelle's said...

This was a delightful post Sheri....I know how you must have enjoyed all the special moments with your beautiful family....oh how I miss the days of playing with Barbie dolls...these are the days and times to treasure....thank your for sharing ...warmed my heart!

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful visit. Those times with our kids/grandkids are so precious...they grow up so fast. That little Mia is just beauiful, Sheri. She looks just like you!! Love her little kitchen and I would have loved getting something like that as a child. Lucky little girl to be so loved. Happy Thursday- xo Diana

Carla from The River said...

Sheri, I love your family and that you share your family time with us. Thank you for sharing all the photos, it is so fun to see all the lovely little things that make you smile.
Love, Carla

ashok said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammie Lee said...

Hi Sheri,
It looks and sounds like you had a very nice visit. So happy for you.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

What a special time to be with grandchildren. Glad you enjoyed your time at Nel's house. All of your photos are beautiful.

Veronica Lee said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time filled with family, fun activities, and delicious treats at Nel's house.
Such a delightful read! I love the photos and getting a glimpse into the warmth and coziness of your visit.

Hugs and blessings, Sheri🌹

Pam said...

What a wonderful visit! I know everyone was glad to have you. Love the pearls in the jar/vase! Great idea. I also love the wine cover...haha..to cute.

DeniseinVA said...

What a fantastic time you had Sheri :) Such a precious photo of you with Mia. In fact, I loved all the photos and am always delighted to see your sweet family. Great memories for everyone! Thank you for sharing with us and happy weekend to you.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful post

JD/ Jill said...

I enjoyed seeing all our lovely pics!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Hello Sheri. What a lovely visit you had with little Mia. Isn't she a sweetie and so blessed by you! I am sure she loves to be spoiled with such wonderfulness. Nel is quite beautiful I must say! Beautiful photos. So nice to stop over here and catch up. Happy 2024