Monday, May 8, 2023

Sewing Special Things

I was just visiting my friend, Dewena, and her charming blog, where she showed a picture of the Prom dress that her mom made for her many years ago.  Both of our moms sewed wonderful things in our youth, and it got me thinking of my own mom around this Mother's Day.

She was always sewing something, whether it was clothes for me and my sister, or fabric ornaments for Christmas, or costumes for those fun parties, or doll clothes for my special doll.



*Jacinta Crowley-Long Painting

She used the vintage patterns back then (McCall's, Butterick, Simplicity), and I often wondered how she managed to read them, and sew a complete outfit that always seemed to fit just right.  I had a difficult time understanding the patterns, and could only sew small things like pillows and such.  Whenever I needed a dress for a special occasion, I told her what I wanted, and sometimes even designed it, and she did her best to sew it for me.

I'm not sure why she liked to sew, maybe it was less expensive than buying an elaborate dress, or maybe she just wanted to please her children - I'll have to ask my sister about that.  Or maybe because she always loved fashion herself.

Dewena asked me if I had saved any of the clothes my mother made for me.  Unfortunately, I don't have any of the clothes from my youth, but I still have the dress she made for a porcelain doll I kept, and the satin blue ball gown she made for my Barbie.  I cherish it.

When my mom got sick, the siblings and I all took care of her, especially my middle brother, who tended to her needs the most.  We were all there making sure she was comfortable and cared for.  I often rubbed her back to alleviate some of her aches and pains.  She used to love it when my youngest brother stopped by on his lunch break, and gave her a little love and a laugh.  I could see it in her eyes.  And my sister would call her every day, sometimes twice a day, and had to travel the farthest when she visited.  It was round the clock care from my middle brother, and I'm not sure I ever thanked him for that devotion.  So, as I am getting ready to visit my own daughters, and don't like the arduous effort of travel, I am thinking of her and all she did for her family.

This is your youngest child, and just wanted to say,

Hi Mom!





23 comments:

Donna said...

Your mother was absolutely Gorgeous! Love her coat!
hugs
Donna

Debbie Nolan said...

Ah Sheri - such a wonderful tribute to your beautiful mom. I am sure like me you are missing her as I do my own sweet mom. Mother's day is just not the same without her. Especially at this time of the year we would spend a day or two shopping for our flowers and plants. I certainly would love to be doing this again...hoping that in heaven we will once again enjoy picking out posies but they will be just perfect up there :)! Hugs and Have a Wonderful Mother's Day!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Heart warming words, your mother is a beautiful woman. I believe the love for sewing is in her soul.
Hugs

Pilar said...

What a beautiful tribute to your stunning mom Sheri! You look a lot like her! Wishing you an early Happy Mother's Day my dear friend!

R's Rue said...

So beautiful.

nonie everythingsewing said...

What wonderful memories. I am so glad you have the Barbie dress how very special.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your Mom was gorgeous! She was like my Mom, sewing everything. I remember these old patterns! They were so confusing to me.

DeniseinVA said...

Super illustrations you chose. Your Mom sounded one in a million, was a beautiful and a very talented lady! What a treasure to have one of her dresses for your Barbie doll. Barbie looks very elegant in that dress. Does the heart good to know how you all rallied around her and took care of her when she needed you all. A very sweet tribute indeed. In case I don’t get back, Happy Mother’s Day Sheri, for you and for your Mom :)

Dewena said...

Sheri, it makes me so happy that you followed through and wrote this precious post about your mother sewing for you. I know that lovely little blue Barbi dress means so much to you.

And even more precious is your talking about how your siblings did everything they could to care for your mother during her last days here on earth. That says the world about what she meant to all of you. You are so much younger than I am but I'm sure you know what it means to someone as they near my age that they won't be alone, that people they love will be there.

Your mother was stunning!

Have a wonderful Mother's Day trip to see your children and grandchildren,
Dewena

Debby said...

What a touching post, Sheri. Thanks for sharing that.

My mom used to sew too. She made all my prom dresses and tops and shorts - I don't have any that I saved. I wish I did. I do have some of her crocheted pieces and a crocheted shoulder wrap that I use on cold days in my home.

As always a beautiful heartfelt post.

Marilyn Miller said...

Oh I love "one of your hugs would be nice right now". I would love one from my mom. My mom sewed for my sister and I when I was little, but in jr.high I learned to sew and from then on I sewed for myself. I could buy fabric with babysitting money then. Now fabric cost the same of more than buying ready made.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Happy Mothers Day! I hope you have a safe trip to see your kids. Enjoy!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

My mom sewed all my clothing, from little coats, dance costumes, Barbie clothing and high school prom dresses. Your post inspired a small poem in me, Sheri....Mother's Day is a tough day for me. I can't handle it without a good cry, remembering that angel of a woman who gave me birth.

Chatty Crone said...

Happy Mother's Day - your mom was very pretty. They used to dress up so much in those days didn't they?
I love the roses in your header.
I think maybe your mom just loved to sew - it gave HER pleasure to make others happy and see her handiwork. I would love to be able to sew.
The Barbie dress was so pretty.
My mom passed in 2001 and I still miss her -
I hope you have a wonderful time with your daughters!
Love, sandie

Carla from The River said...

Sheri, your post made me cry. It was so heartfelt. Your mom is beautiful, thank you for sharing the photo of her.
Enjoy your travels.
Happy Mother's Day to a mom that I admire, you are special to me Sheri!!
Love, Carla

Jeanie said...

Sheri, this is the most beautiful post. I love how your family banded together to help your mom, to provide comfort and company and to be with her. It's really beautiful and I can see why you are all close. She must have been an amazing woman to have raised such a kind family.

And I love that blue ball gown! I think my mom sewed when I was younger but I don't remember her doing so when I was older. It's a skill I never took up!

Nellie said...

This is a wonderful tribute to your mother! I have done a bit of sewing in the past. I often found the fitting process a bit challenging. Wishing you safe and happy travels!

Veronica Lee said...

Such a heartwarming post, Shery.
Your mom was beautiful.
I love that pretty Barbie dress.

Hugs and blessings and have a wonderful Mother's Day 🌹

roughterrain crane said...

Happy Mother's Day! Thank you for telling us your memories.

Hena Tayeb said...

Your mother was beautiful. It's lovely that you have these wonderful memories of her making you and your dolls dresses.

Pam said...

My mom started sewing in high school so when we were young she made our clothes. My dresses, and tops and the boys shirts. Plus, all my Barbie doll clothes...that I still have. I however, I did not get the sewing gene. I was never that good at it. I did make my prom dress in Home Ec...and only cause I had to sew something.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Such a sweet and touching tribute to your beautiful Mother, Sheri. I can relate to her love of sewing - I used to sew dresses for my girls, too. Life goes by so fast and it is the sweet and simple memories that mean the most. Sending hugs xo K

Md. Mostaque Ahmed SEO said...

Sheri, this is the most beautiful post. I love how your family, It's lovely that you have these wonderful memories of her making you and your dolls dresses.

And I love that blue ball gown! I think my mom sewed when I was younger but I don't remember her doing so when I was older. It's a skill I never took up!