Monday, July 25, 2022

Town History

Wherever I land in life, I always like to get to know the surroundings and history of the town I live in.  It really is a pretty part of northern California, and there are some natural spots that are considered gems, like the waterfalls on the outskirts of town, and the wonderful mountains that surround the area.  Here is a little of this and that about my town's history.  We are pretty high up in the mountains, with the elevation being around 3,000.  We do get snow, actually a fair amount in the Winter, and the Summers are warm, but not extremely hot.  The town sits at the base of the mountain.  The name of my town gets its name from a man who settled the area during the 1850's.  The falls nearby are incredible, and the waters flow all year around.  People come from all over to do some backpacking, and there are some great fishing spots also.  In fact, I just talked to a young man who was getting the vaccine at the same time as I was.  He was from Germany and was wearing his backpack, getting ready to do some exploring.  There are so many trails to hike on, which my son has experienced since he's been here.  They have the best burgers in this town, and two drive-inns, one which I go to regularly to get a mushroom burger.  One of the drive-inns has been in business since 1956.  The birds that make their appearance are the robin, the woodpecker, the steller's jay, the hummingbird, the quail, and the mourning doves, who are so dear to see on my lawn.  I see the quails every day, there are so many of them here.  Well, that's a little bit about my town.   Here are some pictures to follow.

























































The sea tells you everything will be fine.  The mountains tell you it doesn't matter anyway.

~Adeel Ahmed Khan



*painting by Kate Petrenko

Have a wonderful week.  Should be in the 90's most of the week.  We do need rain, it's been a dry Summer, so keep us in your thoughts.

~Sheri

29 comments:

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Sandi said...

Beautiful!

Chatty Crone said...

Okay you must live in Virgin River! lol Do you watch that - I think that place is gorgeous as well as your town. How could anyone not feel peace, love, and beauty there?
What area those sprays spraying and way?
In the 90's is like us in GA right now - I would think that would be hot for that area.
The waterfalls were just breathtaking.
I think your place is wonderful.

Ginny Hartzler said...

It looks wonderfully perfect!! I especially love the ittle quail and the multi waterfall. It seems very much like our city! We live at the base of Afton Mountain, and have a similar waterfall, but it is maller and only double. Love that you included the burger, and I want another post of your town like this one!

Jeanie said...

You live in a beautiful area, Sheri. I can see why people visit for hiking or climbing your mountain. I'm especially enamored of the waterfall. We were in the 90s. Right now it's 64 and I'm wishing I had my fingerless gloves. I hope you stay free of the wildfires.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I sure hope you get some rain soon. I hope your whole state gets some relief! Love seeing the beautiful birds you see and reading the history. Have a good week dear lady!

Hena Tayeb said...

Sounds like a lovely town.

Pilar said...

What beautiful photos Sheri, especially the waterfall! Your town sounds lovely!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Such a lovely place you live! The waterfalls are spectacular. I do hope rain falls for you soon. I think of you when I hear of fires in your state. The quail photos are great. I've never seen one in the wild and it's so neat you see them often. Have a great week.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

You live in a beautiful place.
Seeing quail in the yard sounds like magic.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

So beautiful there. 90's sound so much better then 107 that we have had all week. I am so ready for rain! I did here that there was a possibility of some thunder showers tomorrow. Hopefully no lightening. Stay cool!

DeniseinVA said...

I enjoyed these very much Sheri. You live in such a pretty part of the country. Those quails are really something. The last time I saw one was on a trip out west many years ago.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dearest Sheri! It looks like a peaceful place where you can stay away from the hustle and bustle of life in the city as well as the internet! You have mountains, fields of flowers and just enough town near you to get up and go. Isn't it nice to have such great places to unwind?

Louca por porcelana said...

You live at a wonderful place! So peaceful! Thank you for sharing dear friend.

It's me said...

Beautiful where you live…wowww…I hope no fires in your district…love enjoy summer 🍀💗🐾🍀

Carla from The River said...

Praying for rain for your area, I know how important that is for you.
I enjoyed your post and the photos. Thank you for sharing.
Love, Carla

R's Rue said...

So beautiful 😍 Love you

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

You live in a wonderful place.

Patricia said...

Oh, your town sounds like a beautiful place Sheri. Waterfalls and mountains appeal to me very much, and they were near to my childhood place too. The bird life sounds great too, and how sweet to see quails every day. I hope you get some rain soon, we have had too much this year :)

Veronica Lee said...

You live in a beautiful area, Sheri.

Your photos are incredible as always.

Love, love, love the waterfalls.

Hugs and blessings!

Linda O'Connell said...

Your photos are so pretty. Those waterfalls are stunning. Beautiful spot on earth!

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Oh Sheri, this is heaven on earth! Absolutely beautiful.
Stay well my friend
blessings,
Penny

R's Rue said...

Hi my dear friend.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful pictures

Rajani Rehana said...

Read my new post

Susan said...

Hi Sheri....I can see why you love where you now live. Beautiful countryside. Your photos are outstanding. OH my, that mushroom burger looks FABULOUS. So much beauty all around there. THanks so much for sharing. Love, Susan

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Beautiful photos. Where is this lovely little town?

HWIT BLOGG said...

Wow! Beautiful pictures...always so nice visiting your blog :)
Titti

roughterrain crane said...

I would like to hike in these beautiful places with a mushroom burger in my backpack. Happy Sunday to you.