Monday, July 18, 2022

Each One Has A Story To Tell

I just got my third vaccine, and the first two I had mild symptoms after, but this one I felt lousy for a couple days.  So, this post will be a quiet one with a little nostalgia from the past.

Last week, my son brought me some cream filled wafers.  When I saw them, I instantly thought about a dear friend who used to give these to my family at Christmastime.  C was always so generous and used to buy the kids many toys and goodies - the kids loved it, and whenever I brought gifts home and told them they were from C, they always got excited.  Jess actually thought she was aunt C, until I told her one day that she was my sister-in-law's mom, but we all still thought of her as part of our family as well.  She was a wonderful woman, and I've been thinking of her lately since my son brought me these same wafers that she used to gift me for so many years.





I've had my grandmother's antique candle holders for a long time, and I've been wanting to get some candles that fit for them.  It's hard to find the tapers anymore, but one day I came across them.  So, I cleaned up my grandmother's candle holders, and lit the tapers, and placed them on my Mom's plate.  They look nice sitting on my kitchen table.



"We leave something of ourselves behind when we leave a place, we stay there, even though we go away.  And there are things in us that we can find again only by going back there."

~Pascal Mercier

 I came across this heart box many years ago at an antique shop, and fell in love with it.  I always wondered who it belonged to and the story behind it.

I love the lid on it, so much detail and very pretty.



We all live in the present, with our busy lives and jumbled schedules, but I like to go into the past from time to time and appreciate the ones who were here before us.  They are the teachers, and the sensible women and men who have shown us endurance, courage, patience, and love, and who paved an easier path for us to walk.

"The past beats inside of me like a second heart."

~John Banville

When I used to visit my mother-in-law in the mountains, she had so many things around her house to look at.  I remember going in her bedroom and having talks and noticing the sweetest little porcelain girl with piano sitting on her dresser.  I always loved this little figurine.  No one seems to know where it is, but I hope someday someone will discover it, it was the cutest thing.  I used to take piano lessons for a short time when I was young, and although I'm not good at it, I still know a couple songs.



All these little treasures I have I will pass on to my children.  Nel loves old things, and Jess is starting to appreciate them also.  My son enjoys the stories behind them.  Each one has a story to tell, doesn't it?  This belonged to my mom - I thought it looked cool, cause it's made out of marble granite.  I think I'll give it to Nel, it reminds me of something she'd like.  ; )



  ~Sheri  

30 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's nice to have little pretties to remember the past. I have a tall ceramic cat that I bought because it looked like one my grandmother had and let me hold when I visited her. I love old things but none of my sons care for them. I keep them to please myself though!

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

Lovely memories. Hope you get well soon.

Jeanie said...

I can see why you chose that heart box. It's exquisite. Beautiful details. And I love those Piroulines too -- sometimes they are just the best treat. What a lovely surprise!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest friend, good morning!

As I read your words, a small well of tears are starting to pool; my mother in law just passed away last Wednesday and not only does your story speak such truth about the past, my MIL literally had an antique shoppe in town way back when Ruben and I first married and lived for five years in this hometown of ours.

I think you are so right. We all live in the present and even in the future as we plan. However, there is nothing wrong to take some time to look at the past in order to not forget that the objects our loved ones leave behind are the treasure boxes that we can handle and hold to know that their influences never leave us. Thank you for this reminder.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lovely post
The last box, my mother gave me a similar one years ago. It is a treasure. The piroulines are a special memory, a general's wife served them at their open hose back in the 1970s. I helped her prepare in the kitchen. Funny how different objects build a memory personality.

Billie Jo said...

Lovely thoughts here, my friend. I agree there is much to be learned and appreciated from those who came before. Your treasures are so very special, and the fact that you appreciate them even more so. Feel better!

Chatty Crone said...

I did enjoy this post! I like to think back too - I see things and I too wonder the story behind them.
It is nice to remember friends with trinkets.
I love your aqua cup - my favorite color.
Your kids seem awesome that they want to know the back stories of your treasures.
I have two kids - they are not bad - but they don't care about the back stories - I have a little cabinet of them and each tell a story that are important to me too - guess it will end with me.
Glad you have all that!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am so sorry about your side effects! We have gotten all three shots, and never noticed a thing. But everyone is so different. The candleholders are beautiful,and look like pewter. I also love your pretty mug. Those rolled wafers are so good with coffee.

Hena Tayeb said...

Such lovely things. I don't have many things.. my grandmother and mother and I myself am a thrower or donater. My mom has no little sentimental objects from her childhood or mine, no cherish stuffies or dolls. My mom always gave them to someone when I no longer played with them.
But what I do have is jewelry. My grandmother's earrings and my other grandmother's locket and my mother's jewelry..

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Sheri, I do hope you are feeling better by now. I'm glad you got another vaccine as covid is not over, unfortunately. I enjoyed this post so much! I love your heart trinket box. All things hearts make me happy! How sweet your son gifted you such a good treat that stirred memories. Take good care of yourself and enjoy a brand new week.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Having those wafers is always a treat!! ~ You have some pretty pieces. My little cottage is filled with lots of pieces with memories. Someone suggested to me to let things go, (she did a major purging, getting rid of a lot of things, then replaced them with new, trendy things). A lot of 'personality' was lost in her home when she did that. I have the same stainless steel measuring cups and spoons for over 50 years, (just a couple of items I use on a regular almost daily basis). Hubby was in the US Navy at the time and we were newlyweds living in Spain where he was stationed. Our base commissary was small and we went on a trip to an Air Force base that had a huge one and that's where I bought these kitchen pieces. Lots of memories in the pieces I have here, of the life I had with my dear hubby. They add color and joy to this place, to get rid of and replace with new, cold items, would be horrible in my book. ~ Enjoy those bits and pieces that bring joy to your heart. ~ Hope you are feeling better. ~ FlowerLady

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

I loved this post! Probably because both of my parents have passed away and we had to go through all of their 'stuff' it's been sweet to have some of my mom's 'collectibles' around my house. That little porcelain girl at the piano is BEAUTIFUL - I hope you're able to find the original but you may be able to find that on eBay . . . I often think "my kids will probably donate all this stuff to Goodwill" haha . . . but maybe not!

Debby said...

Sheri, I love the old keepsakes I've inherited. Yours are so special. The detail on that little antique box is amazing.

You used to be able to purchase those cookies at the dollar tree a few years ago, but I haven't seen them lately - granted it is a smaller tin - just enough for a generous amount with your tea.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Sheri there are a bunch of the girl at piano figurine on eBay . . . around 40.00.

R's Rue said...

Thank you my friend.

R's Rue said...

Hope you feel better.

Pilar said...

What lovely treasures Sheri! I hope you're feeling better. I remember feeling lousy when I took the booster shot. Get some rest my dear friend!

R's Rue said...

Have a beautiful day.

Carla from The River said...

I always enjoy your posts that you share with us Sheri, but your memory posts are some of my favorite. I enjoy hearing your stories and seeing your treasures from the past.
Carla

Susan said...

Lovely post. Sheri. I enjoyed the photos, too. I love things from long ago.

Louca por porcelana said...

Sweet post as ever...you always touch my heart with your adorable posts. I wish my English was better...We could "talk" a lot!

Pam said...

My mother left me so many little things like that, things that were handed down from great aunts and my great grandma. I love them and I am leaving them to my daughter, son and niece. So much of that stuff is packed up but I think I need to start taking some out, using them or displaying them for a bit then changing them out for something else. Memories, they are so amazing and something that needs to be past down to others. Thanks for sharing.

DeniseinVA said...

A delightful collection of treasures and sweet memories to go with them. Thank you for sharing them Sheri :)

R's Rue said...

Hope you’re doing well. I love your visits and words of wisdom. Thank you friend.

Debbie Nolan said...

Sheri - hope you are feeling better now. I know I enjoy revisiting the past. It as if for a little bit life slows down and when one looks back we are reminded of so many of those who are gone and what they meant to us. Often my thoughts return to my maternal grandma. She was the perfect grandma and she loved me so. Many years have passed since she left this earth but wonderful reminders are all over my home.
As for those wafers...they are also a favorite of mine. Haven't bought them for quite some time but not sure why not.
Thank you too for your sweet thoughts regarding Shelby. We are just taking it one day at a time and loving her all we can. Take care friend. Hugs!

It's me said...

What a lovely post Sheri…my third vaccin was also no good…sorry to hear you had the same….that waffles I can remember with de cream…have a nice Sunday…love from me and Leaf 🍀🐾💗🍀

HWIT BLOGG said...

A beautiful collection of treasures and a thoughtful post...
Love from a sunny island & Titti

Marilyn Miller said...

Hoping by now you are feeling back to your normal self.
I love your remembered stories of the cookies and the piano girl too. So sweet. I am sure Nel will love her one day. I love your mug with the cookies too.

Rajani Rehana said...

Lovely post

Graça Gamito said...

I really like your cups. Mostly with a turquoise blue background. Just like the cup with the ladybugs. As I paint porcelain (for many years) I am always sung with such beautiful pieces
You chose the landscape photos very well. I can almost smell the lavender
If you have time, I would like you to stop by my blog
https://asideiasdavoxinha.blogspot.com/