Sunday, September 20, 2020

It Started with Rocks

It started with rocks...


There were so many of them when we moved into this house. Big rocks, small rocks, rocks in the grass, rocks under bushes, rocks in the walkway, rocks and rocks and rocks everywhere!



I have to admit, I was overwhelmed by the amount of work I had to do inside and out of the house when we moved back to California. Our place in Georgia was newly remodeled, in a beautiful neighborhood, and full of southern charm. 


Before moving to Georgia, I'd been living in run-down apartments for 15 years while working my way through my B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. programs. Some weeks I put in upwards of 80 hours of work a week. It was hard. So much work. All I could do was put one foot in front of the other day after day after day.



 When we moved to Georgia it felt like a sweet break. But before I knew it, I was back to California and living in an old, rundown house that seemed like an extension of all the work I'd been doing for so many years. Endless cleaning, and renovating, and digging up weeds and roots and rocks. We planted new gardens, and they were beautiful for a short while, but after a few weeks they just wilted and died.


One day, I sat staring angrily at a pile of rocks I had pushed into a corner of the yard, and I had an idea. What if I made something beautiful out of the rocks? What if I colored in and lit up all those jagged and broken pieces I had tried so hard to hide and discard?


 
I remembered that my mom had dreams of building a garden for fairies. I found the fairies a house.



And then another...



When I told my mom I was building a fairy garden she gave me a few of the treasures she'd been saving over the years. 
 

  
It took a lot of hard work--digging, and raking, and moving heavy rocks--and also creative vision, but I finally made something really pretty out of that ugly pile.







My mom always says never lose your magic or your hope. I believe that with hard work your magical and hopeful visions can come true. My fairies do too.



Image from Pinterest

~Nel

25 comments:

Mellie said...

Very pretty rock garden!

Chatty Crone said...

That took a lot of work I know - but so worth it. Very pretty.

Martha said...

You sure did turn it into something beautiful and magical too!

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Beautiful! I bet the fairies love it too. Great job! I love rocks!

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

The stones are beautiful and interesting.

Susie said...

Nel, Your mom is the sweetest person. It seems she has raised some sweethearts too. I love the garden you have created and I just bet your mother loves it too. The little string of lights makes it even more special. Nel, all your hard work will be worth it, in every part of your life. Blessings and hugs. xoxo, Susie

Louca por porcelana said...

What charming fairy garden!

Carola Bartz said...

What you created is truly beautiful and has its own magic. If life gives you rocks, make a fairy village!

Marilyn Miller said...

Your fairy garden is beautiful! I love that you made something special out of the rocks.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

You have a magical heart to have created such a lovely fairy garden, Nel! I know your sweet daughter and mother must adore it!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the fairy gardens and adding the lights makes it truly magical! You've delighted and inspired us today! Hugs!

It's me said...

Love Ria 🍀💕🍀

nonie everythingsewing said...

I LOVE IT!!! What a wonderful, and I will say inspiring because I have a rock problem. I hope it is alright to 'borrow' your idea. For sure you made a wonderful space.

Hena Tayeb said...

Oh my.. you have created such a lovely fairy garden. Splendid.

Debbie Nolan said...

Nel what a lovely fairy garden. Your dear Mom taught you how to make something lovely out of life's challenges. Just beautiful dear one. Hugs!

handmade by amalia said...

How sweet! If I were a fairy, that is exactly where I'd want to live.
Amalia
xo

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Carla from The River said...

Hi, Nel,
I love this idea. What a lovely way to use the rocks and create something magical.
Carla

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

So charming! Love how your turned an ugly pile of rocks into something so beautiful! I'm sure the fairies love it, too! x Karen

Red Rose Alley said...

Nel, I would love to see your fairy garden all lit up at night. And now you can add the little sparkly yellow fairy. You did a wonderful job! ~mom

roughterrain crane said...

I am glad to see the beautiful beach in your country. Have a nice weekend.

Rose said...

I love what you have done...I love rocks period. The fairy garden part is just the icing on the cake here.

baili said...

Oh your fairy garden looks Magical dear Nel :)

what an excellent job to create such beauty out of rough rocks ,that is where an artist comes to reveal his creative skills :)

your mom's goodies are so pretty as always :)
hope is the biggest magic i ever experienced yes !

Faith said...

I've touched more than one time while reading your blog. It is a very hopeful,cheerful place/ I think I would have liked your mom very much indeed.

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you so much for giving me this link Sheri. Truly, a charming and delightful garden :)