I just returned from a trip to So Cal to see my family, and I had a delightful time. I stayed at Jess' house and Nel's house, so I will show you my time spent at Jess' house first. There is a Chinese Restaurant on the second floor of the airport, and after checking in with my flight, I got myself an eggroll. I asked for one, but they gave me four. I could only eat one, and a few bites of another.
Taking off at our mountain airport.
I'm always amazed that it only takes a little over an hour to get from north to south. Landing in So Cal. "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."
When I first got to Jess' house, I noticed the pretty white flowers on her table. She got them from Trader Joe's.
I got in late, and the next day it was the fourth of July! I was so happy that Mia came over also and I got to spend the day with all my family.
Brian barbecued every meat you can think of - hot dogs, sausages, chicken legs. Everything tasted great.
Isn't this a festive fourth of July pie that Jess made?
It was blueberry, and she made homemade whipped cream to go with it. It turned out amazing, and I had it for a couple of days after with my coffee.
The kids went to the pool in the afternoon, and we watched the fireworks that evening. Jess has an area right by her house which has a great view of the fireworks. It's a golf course, and we sat on the grass to watch. It was one of the longest and grandest fireworks displays that I've ever seen. I kept thinking about how much it must cost the city to pay for such a show.
It was so fun for grandma to do the sparklers once again with the kids.
Jess kept us busy all week, and found such fun things for us to do. And I suggested Play-Doh, as I remember my kids loving it when they were little. Is there anything more delightful than Play-Doh hands?
Francesca made herself some Play-Doh nails.
Jess made tostadas one night, and Brian made breakfast burritos one morning.
We drove over to Barnes & Noble because Jess wanted to get Nel something for her birthday. Francesca really wanted this black cat stuffie, and I had such pleasure buying it for her. This cat looked so real. She named her "midnight."
When Francesca showed me their new cowboy boots, I introduced her to the legendary song back in the day, These Boots are made for Walkin' by Nancy Sinatra. They did a little dance performance for us, which was so cute.
Brian made chicken parmesan one night, which was incredible.
And while I'm a one item breakfast eater, Jess always has a variety of goodies on her plate for breakfast.
Me and Francesca played several games of Checkers. She's getting better and better each time I see her.
It was a good day to watch a movie at the theatre, so Jess got us tickets for Toy Story 5, which was so delightful. And for me, there's nothing like movie theatre popcorn. This was Charlotte's first movie in a theater!
Jess and Brian had a date night one evening while grandma watched the kids. They had a great time, and were so appreciative of those few hours all to themselves.
I'll show you my time spent at Nel's house next. It was a good week, and this is pretty much what it consisted of.....I don't think it gets any better than this.
We also went to a beautiful Rose Garden in Jess' town, and I will share pictures of that later. There is a water fountain and a gazebo, and also a shaded area with benches. It really is the most lovely rose garden I've seen. If I lived close to it, I would go there at least once a week.
I will leave you with this song, just because I love it.

28 comments:
What a beautiful blessing. Hugs. xoxo.
Wow! Fantastic visit! The food looks delicious. Being with family, babysitting on date night are golden memories.
May
I could feel the joy in this post- the photos are beautiful and looks like you all had a wonderful time. I love that pie!!! and all the meals look delicious.
I remember this song so well!! what a wonderful time you had. The Play Doh nails are so cute and creative! the pie is gorgeous! My favorite may be the sparklers, the photo shows sheer joy!! I think her white flowers are Gerbera Daisies; they are so pretty. Your pics from the plane are outstanding. the first one showing the sun on the tip of the wing and the ground, and the beautiful nighttime one!
Wow, what a fantastic vacation you had. It was so wrapped in Love and Family. It seems you had Master Chef meals the entire time ... lucky you !
The girls boots are wonderful. I always wanted cowboy boots. Never managed to acquire some ... boo ...
To let you know I never lived in NYC. Dave and I were independent contractors and worked for 4-5 companies that sent us to work on their conventions and trade shows. It was the best of worlds for us. We saw places we would have never been able to go to on our own and ate on their "dime" in restaurants we could never afford and got pretty good at tootling around towns via taxi and subways. We were able to extend our work jobs a day or two because the hotel were comped and play tourist. Even got to see Lion King (twice) on Broadway...That was a dream come true. It was the most magnificent production I have ever seen. Dave and I have been blessed to do so many things that were totally unplanned and got us into a career that we never really knew existed.
Sue
You had wonderful days at Jess's. I can see it in the photos.
That festive cake looks amazing! And everything else, too. You were really spoiled with good food.
Have a lovely week.
You are right Sheri, it doesn't get any better than this. So glad you had such a very special time with your family. Photos were wonderful and I smiled the whole way through.
Oh my gosh I am surprised you got all that done in a few days.
What did you do with the extra eggrolls - did you throw them away?
Jess's home looked lovely and the flowers were ready for you. I did like the girl's twin dresses. I have to say you didn't lack for any meals or food while you were there the food looked so good.
That blueberry pie was BEAUTIFUL - quite amazing. The kids liked the fireworks and sparkers. And you played with both girls. Loved their boots. I remember Nancy's song. Toy Story is something we watched years ago but it was the original ones.
That rose garden was just beautiful!!!
And last but not least - does Barbie have bendable legs now?
Hi dear Sheri, your photos are always beautiful and heartwarming, my friend. And you are very photogenic, you look radiant.
Your meals look delicious.
I am so happy that you got to spend time with your lovely family.
Oh, and I definitely remember this Nancy Sinatra song.
Oh my gosh. Those girls are adorable. I think Jess looks like you. How wonderful to be able to spend time there and they made it so special for you--pie and fireworks and sparklers. And---oh those boots! I always liked that song and it was kind of a theme song for me many years ago. lol.
What a gorgeous rose garden. xo Diana
Hello Sheri,
I am so happy you had safe travels.
I enjoyed all the photos.
I am hungry for many of the good eats you enjoyed. :-)
I cannot believe how the girls are growing up!!
And I love the cowboy boots and song.
xo
Carla
So much to love in this post!! The family time, the food, the fun and I can see such love!!!
The pie is excellent. Your grandchildren have grown up in good health. Nice summer to you.
Looks like you had a Wonderful week! And did you pack Brian away in your suitcase? You need a chef in the kitchen? Love a man that cooks! My Larry cooks…thank goodness! 😂
Hugs
Donna 🌷
Oh yes, I remember the Boots song too. It was a huge hit back in the day. I bet the girls loved it. What a great time you had, and it is wonderful how far we can travel in a one hour flight. When my kids were in Sydney I used to fly down about every 8 weeks. I love the 4 July pie. Isn't it pretty! What a treat to go to Toy Story 5 with the granddaughters. ( I keep hinting I want to go see it too). Have a great week Sheri.
What a wonderful time you had and all the food.. wow.. everything looks delicious. The pie is beautiful. Love all the happy, smiling faces.
Sheri - it looks like you could not have had a more finer visit with your family. Your granddaughters are growing up so fast. Everyone looks healthy and well (which is certainly a great blessing). The food sounds delicious - I adore egg rolls and it got me thinking I have not had one in such a long time...hmm - I might need to change that soon. Thanks for the song "These Boots Are Made For Waling". I certainly remember that one. Have a great day friend. Hugs!
What a beautiful rose garden. You were fed so well too. The pie is a work of art. How lovely to have such special time with three little girls. And egg rolls at the airport sounds yummy.
Absolutely wonderful and precious! Made me smile!
What a joyful post, Sheri! ✨
I loved reading about all the little moments that made your trip so special.
The blueberry pie looked amazing.
Francesca’s Play-Doh nails and cowboy boots dance sound adorable, and how fun to introduce her to Nancy Sinatra’s song.
Family time doesn’t get any better than this! 🌹👢
Hi Sheri,
It looks like you had a fabulous time with your family. There is nothing better.
That pie is absolutely stunning and I’d hesitate to be the first to cut into that masterpiece! So many wonderful details to enjoy, from the clever crayon fingernails to the tempting grilled chicken. And the granddaughters, especially in their adorable boots, are just precious. It’s wonderful that you get to visit often and share in such joyful moments, like sparklers on the 4th of July. Truly, very special memories in the making. Have a good week Sheri and welcome back!
Sheri, what a wonderful trip you had! Your Fourth of July sounded absolutely delightful — family, good food, fireworks, and those sweet moments with the kids. I loved seeing all the little highlights from your week at Jess’ house… the Play‑Doh nails, the cowboy boots dance, the movie outing, and that adorable black cat stuffie. Your photos always capture the joy in everyday moments, and this post was full of them. It’s clear how much you treasure time with your family.
Hi Sheri. That was a totally adorable post. Loved it. You always have a fabulous time when you go down to Southern Cal. That is absolutely wonderful. The girls look lovely and the grands? All living doll babies. I'm so happy you got to go and have such a fab time. Now I'll be waiting for the story of your time at Nel's house, too! Hugs. Susan
Sheri, Sheri....loads of fun in each of these photos. What a fabulous visit for you and I know the grands and the girls were in heaven having you there to celebrate big. Good looking food and the sweetest photos of the girls. You all were able to cram a lot of things into this time and I know there were some great memories for your journals made on this trip... I enjoyed your trip right along with you....
I guessed your adventure would take you to grandgirl territory. And it looks wonderful in every way. Your photos speak of nothing short of loads of smiles, hugs, and absolute joy. Your girls are lucky to have beautiful families and what a delightful time to visit and enjoy celebrations too!
Looks to have been a wonderful visit with your beautiful family. I enjoyed all the darling photos.
Amalia
xo
Post a Comment