Well, it's a little warmer here this month, in the 90s most days. Not too bad, considering some areas have been in the 100s this summer. My town was sandwiched between two wildfires, one on each end. They are both about an hour from me, and are almost contained. I found these dish towels and loved them. Daisies remind me of my mom. I don't know why - she wasn't really into flowers, and I never knew her to appreciate daisies. It's funny how certain things remind us of the ones who came before.
My son stocked me up on summer fruit.
This fellow has been coming around a lot this summer and wreaking havoc on everything in sight. He even had a pecking match with a squirrel one morning....I rooted for the bird. ; )
Love this pic. It was windy, my hair was messy, but we were all together.
I watched the NEW season of Little House on the Prairie on Netflix. Really good. It's a bit different than the original LH, but there is a lot more interaction with the Osage Tribe, which was interesting. Mary and Laura quarreled in a few scenes, and I thought that was realistic, as siblings tend to fight growing up. I like the character of the shopkeeper; what a responsibility to run the only general store on the prairie. The character of Mr. Edwards does an excellent job as well. I loved the Christmas episode.
My son received his BA, and is now working on the Masters Program. Jess sent him this beautiful memory box with lots of goodies inside.
My brother-in-law came in for a visit, and we went to the Chinese Restaurant for lunch. It was good to catch up with him. He spent the last few weeks at a cousin's ranch taking care of her dogs and horses.
I wanted to show you what the girls brought back for me from their trip to Greece. Nel bought me a Saint Christopher plaque to hang on the wall (patron Saint of travel). It was such a thoughtful gift, cause I traveled to be with her on her birthday. Some olive oil for me, and a package of seasoned olives for her brother. They tasted so Mediterranean. She and Jess bought me the same chocolate bar, and didn't know the other one bought it....it was really good, by the way. 🍫🍫 Jess gave me some fruit candy (like the aplets and cotlets my dad loved at Christmas), a pretty cup from Athens, and a delightful pouch with the Proverbs verse 31:25. And I was so touched when I saw her last present, the gift of Myrrh.
Me and Jess didn't know much about Myrrh, only that it was one of the items given to Jesus when He was born. So Jess did some research while I visited, and found out a little about it.
*The Myrrh she bought me came from Mount Athos. It's a Holy mountain inhabited by over 1,000 Monks. It's in northern Greece on the coast along the Aegean Sea. An Orthodox Spiritual Center since the 10th century, and an artistic site as well. It's prepared by the Monks at Mt. Athos, and they follow a special recipe. Myrrh is a traditional monastic blessing. It's a mixture of plants and aromatic substances. It's called the "Oil of Thanksgiving" or "Anointing of Heaven." It symbolizes the gifts of the Holy Spirit, the aroma of faith, tenderness of heart, and devotion to the Lord.
Try to stay cool in this summer heat, and have a great July week.





15 comments:
Such lovely gifts from Greece. Wish there were more family-oriented shows. One time we were camping, and we went to the camper door several times wondering who was rapping at our door and running away, until we discovered the woodpecker. Love seeing your photos.
I don't have Netflix which is good because I don't know if I'm ready for another Little House on the prairie. I follow Melissa Gilbert on Substack and she mentioned it. She is staying neutral on the subject.She mostly talked about the inaccuracies of both series and that's okay - its creative licence!
We have woodpeckers in our twin cedars - a family of them. The jays like to harass them. What fun gifts from Greece. We get monthly food baskets from Israel which we enjoy.
I can't remember in the18 years we have been here, we've ever experienced such a cool summer - of course that means from what is the normal for here. We cool off at last evening to where we can open our windows. That's unheard of! We haven't yet reached over 110 yet and that's a first. We'll what August brings but it sure has been nice.
Congrats for your son.
God bless and I hope you have a wonderful week ahead.
I am so happy you shared the history about the Myrrh. I found it very interesting. I would love to smell it.
I love olives, so I would enjoy trying one or two. :-)
Enjoy your new week Sheri!!
And as always, I LOVED seeing your photos.
xo
Wow, what amazing gifts your family brought back from Greece.
I didn't know the meaning of Myrrh. Fascinating and so deep too.
Yummm, I am the olive queen. I would eat them all the time, especially if they had a yummy marinade on them. Love the Prov. 31:25 card. That is a treasure from your kids to be called Strong... they know your heart.
Applets and Cottlets wow, that's going way back in my memories. Standard gifts every Christmas from and to my parents and in laws. It always made us smile because we were all on the same gift page ...
I really can't remember the last time I tasted them. Got to scope them out this year !!!
Sue
That photo of you all is great, it turned out so well.
What lovely souvenirs you received from Greece. Wonderful olives... mmm, delicious. And the chocolate is beautifully packaged.
Myrrh is something truly special—a wonderful gift.
I just wanted to mention that. There’s so much being written about *Little House on the Prairie* right now. The new series is supposed to be really great.
Myrrh, this is so cool!!! And what wonderful gifts; the mug is gorgeous! You got a wonderful photo of your woodpecker. I wish I could watch the new Little House, but we don't get Netflix.
What lovely and thoughtful gifts you received, my friend. And I love that beautiful picture of you all together. I have not yet watched the new show, but have heard it is good. Stay cool and enjoy these summer days!
Your daughters had to bring an extra suitcase - just for your gifts. St. Christopher plaque, olive oil, olives (I would love), chocolate bars, fruit candy, pouch, Myrrh - a blessing oil - and I love the Greek cup!
I just think those things were so thoughtful.
It is HOT AND RAINY everywhere - it is just awful. What is going on? And the fires by you.
So, you were for the squirrel not the woodpecker?
Congrats to your son for his graduation and going on for his Masters.
I loved Little House on the Prairie. Loved it.
My favorite thing - was the photo of the five girls - it's precious.
Love, sandie
Loved this post, Sheri. You got some lovely gifts from the girls' trip to Greece. The little plaque is especially charming. They picked out things they knew you would love. CONGRATULATIONS to your son on earning his degree. That is awesome. Now, on to the Master's! How wonderful. Take care, dear Sheri. I LOVE your header. That garden is so lovely. Hugs. Susan
Wonderful photo of your Girls and you! Precious gifts. Congratulations to your son. I live with three men ( husband and two sons), and the series we watch are "Reacher", " Breaking bad", etc...But it is fun! Greetings from far far away.
What thoughtful gifts from Greece. Your family treats you so well. I am not Catholic, but love the little plaque. Congratulations to your on his BA and moving on to the Master's.
What a sweet picture of all of you girls. I love all the gifts they blessed you with. Have a super week ahead. Oh, love the daisy towels
🌼 Such thoughtful gifts from Greece, each one carrying meaning and love. The Myrrh especially feels so special -- what a blessing to receive something prepared with such devotion.
Congrats to your son on his BA, and best wishes as he continues with his Master’s. I enjoyed seeing your beautiful photo together -- those are the moments that matter most.
Blessings, Sheri 🌹
Thank you for following us, ZOVINTUS. I appreciate that very much.
Post a Comment