Monday, September 9, 2024

Really?

When I was getting groceries one day and checking out, the cashier, S, said to me before leaving, "Have a blessed day." I replied, "Thank you.  That's so nice that you say that to the customers."  She went on to tell me a story.....Back at my old job, I said that to someone one day, and my boss asked me, "did you mean that in a religious way?"  She just stood there for a moment and didn't say anything.  Her boss continued, "cause you're not supposed to say that."  She was just astonished, and went on with her day.  I quickly said to her, "well, I think it's wonderful."  After hearing her story, it really upset me.  I thought, Really?  We're not supposed to say what we feel or believe any more?  That's where I draw the line.

Our blog friends are bright, and one day I came across a woman who shared her thoughts with a similar situation.  It went something like this.....They say it makes them uncomfortable when we express our beliefs in public.  But what about how uncomfortable they make us when we can't even rejoice in our beliefs?  I couldn't have said it better than that one fellow blogger when I read her words that day.

One of my blog friends asked if I could show some of my Fall decor this season.  So, here you go.  I am always drawn to the orange colors this time of year, but I do like to add a few blue touches too.  I put out my grandmother's candle holders, and am reminded of the quote by Mary Austin, "It's not that I belong to the past, but that the past belongs to me."  I went to see A. at the home place on main street, and I love going in her shop because she has some of the old along with some of the new.  After browsing through all the isles in the shop, I bought these two things - this small antique vase looked Fallish to me.



















I went to an estates sale over the weekend, and chatted with a couple of ladies who were there.  It was throughout the whole house, and the daughter just lost her mom, and was selling her house and many of her belongings.  There was some really nice items, even furniture.  I found a gorgeous vanity table, but since I have a vanity table, I passed it up.  I didn't see anything to my liking, but the mom really kept her house up well, being as old as she was.  It reminded me of the time me and my sister and brother went through all of our mom's things when she passed away and had a yard sale.  It's an emotional time for sure, but one that brings togetherness.



  When I saw this painting of the young lady in the black hat, it got me thinking of the time I took a portrait with my son and was wearing a black hat just like that.

After the estates sale, I picked up some fried chicken.  Have you ever had Krispy Krunchy chicken?  It's Cajun style, and it's the best fried chicken I've ever had.  For being such a small town, there are surprisingly a lot of good places to eat up here.



Have a nice September week, 

 and

 Oh, have a blessed day. 



~Sheri 

26 comments:

R's Rue said...

Have a blessed day. Sending you lovely autumn love from across the miles.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Billie Jo said...

Hello! I love seeing your autumn decor! You know we would be besties if we didn't live on opposite sides of the country! Welcome to our time of the year!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have never heard of this kind of chicken place! Wow, this is a wonderful photo of you and your son, the hat sets it off perfectly. I love the small pitcher/vase! And the antique looking white pumpkin is just in the same style. I also love how you put the little pumpkin in the fancy candleholder. Thanks for showing it all! I agree with all your thoughts about expressing our beliefs, especially if it is done in a way to try and make someone feel good!! This speech thing has certainly gone too far!

Carla from The River said...

Hi, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts about expressing our beliefs. We have a cashier who also says, "God Bless Your Day" I just love him. I thank him every time he says it to me.

I love all the decor and autumn beauty you shared today.
Carla

Hena Tayeb said...

That is a lovely sentiment you cashier shared. But I am curious, if it was a south asian woman who instead said namaste or peace be upon you would you still be okay with it or would you find it inappropriate. I don't mean to start anything just curious.
Have a good rest of your week.

Chatty Crone said...

I love when someone blesses me - I can take all I can get. Sure, it is okay in this world to say all the woke things you want - when it comes to blessings - it's wrong. Companies that do not say Merry Christmas and just Happy Holidays I boycott.
I love all your fall decorations- especially the vase, the teacup, creamer, and all the glass pumpkins. I love pumpkins. Your cookies look good too! Also, the Mickey Mouse towels.
I have never had Cajun Krispy Chicken - but I am not much of a Cajun flavor person.
Fun you get to see all the things left from someone's past in an estate sale.
Lastly the photo of you and your son was so beautiful!

Dewena said...

Sheri, the picture of you in your beautiful black hat with your son is adorable! How that must warm your heart when being reminded of it in the store. I love all you fall touches! I started yesterday putting mine around and my husband was surprised by how happy it made me. I bet it does you too. And my goodness what have we come to when it's not PC to wish someone a blessed day? Is there anyone who does not want a blessed day?

Shug said...

I am with you...REALLY? Many years ago, an older lady in our church...(she was very educated spiritually) She told me that we are to speak Blessings over people. I was like " God gives us our Blessings!" She told me that speaking Blessings over others is as important as praying for them. I've never forgotten her words. It gives God joy when we speak Blessings. Love that big orange magnolia. And your touches of blue are so pretty as well. Your chicken reminded me of what my grandmother's chicken would look like. Hers was so good and I know this was as well. I enjoy going to estate sales...so many good finds. Make it a good day!

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Tener amabilidad, no cuesta nada. Muy buenas fotografías acompaña a tu reportaje.
Un abrazo.

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Tener amabilidad, no cuesta nada. Muy buenas fotografías acompaña a tu reportaje.
Un abrazo.

Prairie Rose said...

I would be happy if someone wished me a Blessed Day. I do not find it offensive at all. Thanks for sharing some Autumn decorating; and sharing your blessings with all of us.

Debby said...

Lovely post Sheri -

My husband always answers when someone asks how his day is, "blessed and grateful." most people receive it positively. He's encountered a few rude people but it is what it is. When he retired they all gave him a wooden plaque that said, "Blessed"
I agree with you, it's ridiculous that we are supposed to watch our p's and q's all the time because someone might get their feelings hurt or they don't want to hear it. Tough! In fact more people need to stand together and just say these small little things, that really could bless someone because no one says it anymore. Sad the way things have become.


I enjoyed seeing all your Autumn knickknacks - how pretty. I've been so preoccupied with other things I have not had the time to put out anything yet. But I am enjoying the beautiful fresh air. coming through the window at night! Still hot in the day but at least only in the 90's.

Darling photo of you and your son. How precious. My husband and I have a photo of us, taken in Virginia City all dressed up. He looks good but I don't like me, in the photo.

That chicken looks good. I love a good crispy chicken. Yum on the Cajun seasonings but not too much for me due to my stomach.

Debby said...

Darn, I sent it before I was finished, and now I forgot what I wanted to say. Well, anyway, I hope you have a blessed week.

Debby said...

It's me again - did you see I enlarged the print on my blog post? I hope it helps.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Sheri, I enjoyed seeing the photo of you and your son. Your hat looks great on you! I've never felt hats were for me, but I do wear them now to protect me from the sun. So glad you found some nice autumnal items. I've been putting away summer things and need to bring out fall. Your chicken looks great as well! Have a happy week, my friend!

Marilyn Miller said...

I guess I wouldn't think having a blessed day was religious. To me it is just a kind greeting. Love your autumn decor and that black hat is sweet.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Sherri,
I totally agree. I am very upset when I go shopping at Christmas and they can't even say Merry Christmas. I say it anyhow. I find comfort in those words and it helps me have a wonderful day! I am glad you found some things you liked at the shop! I am working on a Halloween Tree. I have a few things out, but won't finish until the end of the month! Have a blessed week Sheri!

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Sheri, when someone is kind enough to bless me in any way, with any religion, I appreciate it more than words can say. People ought not to be admonished for being kind! I find it churlish when those kindnesses are thrown back in such a way. I thoroughly enjoyed your Fall decorative touches, you have some beautiful pieces. And those cookies look very yummy. Estate sales are like going through someone’s life history. Bittersweet for the family but knowing that these treasures will be enjoyed by others must bring some kind of solace. It’s so heartwarming that you had that with your brother and sister. That’s a sweet photo of you with your son. Love the hat! I used to enjoy fried chicken but I can’t eat it anymore, fried anything in fact. Have a wonderful week and a very Blessed Day my friend.
https://www.anenglishgirlrambles2016.blogspot.com

Patricia said...

Dear Sheri, I would love it if a cashier wished me a blessed day. Alas, these days, we are lucky if they acknowledge us at all, and the supermarkets are trying to force us to do our own checking out. I am sad about the current trend to diminish religion - Australia is becoming a very secular country. You seasonal decor is beautiful, and I love the new little jug. Your white pumpkin is a winner with me, along with the orange ones. Your black hat/pink rose is absolutely gorgeous, and what a lovely photo it is. Blessings to you, dear friend.

LoveT. said...

You look lovely with the black hat. I like the picture very much.

Regarding the other story, no one should admonish us if we are kind to our fellow human beings. The boss was wrong.

I love your fall decorations. <3
Have a blessed day Sheri

Estelle's said...

I have always so appreciated that expression someone wishing me a blessed day...how very lovely and kind....it's a beautiful thing to say....I loved your post today...all things of fall goodness!

roughterrain crane said...

Your fall decorations are stunning. Enjoy good days of autumn.
Thank you for your concern about the typhoon we had.

Rose said...

Love that photo of you and your son! That is a really nice pitcher...I would want it, too, if I had room. I also love that big acorn.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I haven't decorated for Fall yet - but I am getting close. You have some beautiful vignettes. I will share my faith where I go...we should not be barred from telling our truth!

roughterrain crane said...

I was glad to know you found the best chicken.
I hope you have a good rain soon.
Thank you for your concern about the typhoon we had.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I say if you don't like it just ignore it.. No one is forcing it on you!! I'm not Christian , but when someone says Merry Christmas to me., I just say thanks and wish them one back. I don't know why people are so sensitive to good wishes!! Love all your fall decorations!