Monday, August 21, 2023

A New Hidden Place And A Mermaid Cake

It's not that hard to find pretty pockets of wilderness up here in the mountains.  They are all around, and if you drive slowly and look closely, you will discover them.  I went to a hidden gem last week, and with the help of my son, he showed me how to get there.  I've been here before, but it's been over two years and it's off the beaten path, but now that I know the landmarks, I will return often.  It will be my own special place to go, it's so peaceful and pretty here.



There were pines as tall as you can imagine.



There was a big bush near the water's edge,



and next to it were some yellow flowers.  Maybe the yarrow plant?





 The view from the other side.





There were even picnic benches.



I wanted to take this Christmas tree home and decorate it.



The dandelions were as big as the palm of my hand.





Yellow wildflowers were growing with bees swarming all around them.  I'm allergic to bees, so I tried to keep my distance.







A huge piece of driftwood near the edge of the water.  It makes me wonder what kind of critters hide in there.





Some more pink wildflowers.







Looking up, I thought this view of the mountain slope was so pretty.



My brother-in-law from Seattle is coming up this way, and is going to stop by for a visit.



We've had some Summer rain for a few days, and it's been really nice.



I have to tell you about the story of Mia's cake.  Nel made her a wonderful mermaid cake with buttercream frosting, and the next morning Nel went to check on the cake in the fridge, and there was a big gash taken out of it.  Mia got into the cake! - and it was right in front where it was hard to fix, but thankfully Nel was able to smooth the frosting over and fix it.  This cake looks so yummy, I would have taken a handful too.

And they caught a wee mermaid from the sea.

And then her cousin.

In case you want to make the mermaid cake, here's a little about it.

*It was strawberry with buttercream frosting.

*Blue icing, and the gold is a mixture of brown sugar and gold sprinkles.

*The pearls on the cake were edible candies.

*The mermaid she got from Amazon.

~Sheri  

24 comments:

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

It's really beautiful there! Absolutely lovely cake;-)

R's Rue said...

So beautiful

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love that beautiful place you've found to visit. I wish I was there to go with you and take pics! Enjoy your day sweet lady!

Carla from The River said...

Oh my, what a fun memory this will be. And what a beautiful cake.

I like the special place you found and hope you will share it with us often.
Love, Carla

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I can see why you will be returning to this special spot in the mountains, Sheri! You must make a picnic for you and your son to enjoy there. Such beautiful pines and reflections in the water. The pink flower looks like an orchid--so lovely. Mia's cake is so creative. Nel did a great job on it and then the repair--Who could resist a bite out of that cake?

Billie Jo said...

Oh, I could spend hours in that beautiful spot, my friend. I am so happy you discovered it. And that cake!!! Fit for a princess...A mermaid princess that is!

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Sheri,
You sure discovered a piece of paradise and one has to love its tranquility.
As for the Mermaid Cake and naughty Mia, that is lovely too!
Great job done and no doubt happy faces eating it.
Hugs,
Mariette

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I love the mermaid cake. And the mermaid too! What a beautiful dress. Happy Birthday!!!!
I love that lake! It is beautiful there!

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

La belleza de la naturaleza es admirable y hay que velar por ella.
Me han encantado esas dos preciosas sirenas.

Que tengas un buen día.

Donna said...

I'm loving the cake!! So pretty! Can't blame Mia for wanting a bite!
hugs
Donna

Lux G. said...

I wouldn't mind having this cake. Lol! That lake looks like the perfect setting for some of the romance novels I'm reading.

Patricia said...

That is a very special place in the woods, so picturesque. I love the pine trees, especially the little Christmas tree! The wildflowers are so pretty too. Mia is a little cutie, and so funny she had to get into the cake. A mermaid cake is a gorgeous idea. My little grandchildren really like mermaids too, and play with two little mermaid toys I have had for a long time. I see a mermaid cake coming in the future for them, too. Have a great week.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh gosh so many things to comment on. Your place is gorgeous and others must come there too since there are picnic tables. The pines go to Heaven! That was a perfect Christmas tree. I love the wildflowers - don't you wonder how they started there.? The mountains. Not sure what a Yarrow Plant is.
Have a nice time with your BIL.
We have had some rain too - we need more with the heat we are experiencing around 100 degrees these days.
Mia is a gorgeous mermaid as well as her cousin! So cute.
And that cake looked so good - I would want to try it too.
When Andy was five and my son was getting married - at the wedding - he tried the wedding cake. Not so funny then, but it is funny now.
Be careful when you go to your spot though.
Love, sandie

LoveT. said...

The Water in the hidden Place looks on the first Picture so clear.
Greetings

Louca por porcelana said...

Gorgeous landscapes and adorable Grands. What beautiful cake! Hugs, dear Sheri.

Veronica Lee said...

It really is a special place—a little patch of heaven!
That mermaid cake is gorgeous.
Mia looks super adorable.

Hugs and blessings, Sheri 🌹

roughterrain crane said...

What a beautiful place this is! The cake is fantastic.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

You are right, there are pretty pockets just about everywhere. Even in big cities. Love the pictures of the river and that Christmas tree is gorgeous!

Debby said...

The photography is beautiful. I have a couple trees like that one "Christmas tree" in my yard - Incense cedars that my dad brought down from Shingletown to plant at this house. They are tall now and I can't bear to cut them down, because my dad planted them. I'm such a "sap."

I love the cake - it looks good. Do you ever watch Cake Wars? I just started watching and I really like it. I'd love to try my hand at fancy cake decorations.

Your granddaughters are so precious.

NanaDiana said...

What a beautiful, beautiful spot to call your own little piece of serenity, Sheri. I love it...and those are great pictures.

I am smiling big over the pictures of the cake and those sweet little girls. She looked beautiful for her birthday and you would never know she popped some icing in her mouth...she looks so innocent.

Have a wonderful rest of the week. I am trying to get around to blogs a bit. Got my hands full here right now with hubby's health issues. xo Diana

Debbie Nolan said...

Sheri - what a wonderful spot you have found. Wish I could come and sit with you there. Would we not have a lot to talk about. For sure we would be laughing over Mia's cake. Nel did a wonderful job rescuing it. Not only so pretty but it sounds absolutely delicious. Maybe Mia would cut me a piece too! Have a wonderful visit with your brother-in-law. Hugs!

DeniseinVA said...

Oh my goodness, these nature scenes are incredible. I would love to take a walk there Sheri. The mermaid cake is amazing and as can be guaranteed, sweet photos. Nel did a marvelous job on that cake, repair work also :) The cousins looked above and beyond adorable!!! Thank you for all the tips making it. I don’t think I will but I will bookmark your post for family and friends. Enjoy the rest of your week :)

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

What a beautiful, peaceful place you found, Sheri! I love the Christmas tree and all the pretty wildflowers. A nice place to have a picnic with someone, too. I had to laugh at the mysterious cake thief - who could resist such a beautiful little cake? And doesn't she look so adorable in her mermaid costume! Happy Birthday, sweet little one! Hugs xo K

Marilyn Miller said...

What a fun mermaid party and cake!
The sights around you are so beautiful.
Thanks for sharing them with us.