Monday, February 14, 2022

Chinese Food And Pleasant Stories

My brother-in-law invited me to Chinese food, and of course, I said, "Yes!"  I have been craving it lately.  I haven't really dined out during this time, just a few eateries here and there, and it has been about 2 years since I had Chinese food, authentic Chinese food.



There's not much to look at from the outside, but the inside was clean and the food was delicious.  I've been wanting to try this place for awhile.  My son joined us, and while we were waiting for our dishes, my brother-in-law shared stories - one was about his Mother's great grandfather who lived in the very same mountain area as I do now.  He worked as a trapper in the late 1800's, and during that time got attacked by a grizzly bear.   He was injured badly, but still lived his life after despite his injuries.   A great number of Grizzly bears roamed this area at one time, until there were no more.  Although, my neighbor tells me that he saw one in the woods right near my house before I moved in.



*photo from internet

Me and my son have heard the story of the grizzly bear many times, but I never get tired of listening to it.   I appreciate that my brother-in-law remembers where he came from and respects the ancestors that came before him.



When we were leaving, he gave us a bag of old photos that he's cleared out from his Mom's things.  I had many of them, but there was a few that were surprisingly new to me.  When I had pictures taken of my kids, I used to sometimes give the grandmas different poses, so I was glad to get this one back again.   It's Nel when she was 9 months.  People used to call her the "Gerber Baby."


  It was such a pleasant day with good food and conversation.  When we cracked open our fortune cookies, I loved what mine said.




24 comments:

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

Wonderful post;-)

nonie everythingsewing said...

I love Chinese food and now the level of my wanting some just went up!
I do hope you do not have any visits from grizzlies.

Chatty Crone said...

I do think a peaceful mind is so important to a happy, healthy life!!!
How nice your BIL invite you and your son to lunch - that lunch looked pretty good to me!!!
That story of the grizzly bear was fascinating. He lived after all that? Bet he didn't get that bears fur!
And giving you photos from the past was a nice token. Nel was a beautiful baby.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

Louca por porcelana said...

You had a great and precious time!Beautiful baby Nel,so cute!Hugs!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I totally agree with your fortune cookie! Nel is SO adorable!! We have black bears here, thankfully no grizzly. The Chinese food looks so good, and authentic!

Carla from The River said...

I just loved this post Sheri, family time and memories, my favorite.
I like your fortune.
Happy Valentine's Day!
Love, Carla

Billie Jo said...

Oh! I love good Chinese food!!! So glad you got some and enjoyed the company too! Your little one's picture is simply adorable!!! Happy Valentine's Day, my friend. P.S. That bear!!!

Hena Tayeb said...

Good food and good conversation.. what else do we really need.

Carola Bartz said...

Isn't it fascinating to hear these great stories? And one simply doesn't get tired of them.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Sheri,
I love Chinese food too. I enjoy family stories and history too. I'm glad you had a fun time. The baby picture of Nel is adorable.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dear Sheri!

We are all a story. To never tell it at least once to family, to friends or the world at large is a shame. We learn we have so much in common.

Jeanie said...

Perfect for Chinese New Year and a perfect fortune, too. I'm so glad you got some new-to-you old photos. Those are such fun. And the stories are what make the past alive. I love that.

Pilar said...

I haven't had Chinese food in a few years! Nel was an adorable baby! I see why people called her the Gerber Baby! Please be careful. Hopefully you won't have any visits from bears!

Olde Dame Holly said...

What a beautiful day! Nel was such a pretty baby. I love Chinese food, and all the veggies are so refreshing.

roughterrain crane said...

You had a great time. Memories mixed with love always give us happiness and bravery.

Kim said...

Oh, I like that fortune cookie message. So nice that you got to enjoy good food and good company, especially family company. The best. That's what makes life worth living. I remember seeing Ken Burns' documentary about Lewis and Clark, and their party being warned about the grizzly bear. They were stunned at how hard they were to kill, even with their modern weapons. Not something I'd want to encounter! Precious pic of your daughter. They grow up so fast.

Rose said...

This sounds like a super day...I would love to listen to your brother-in-law's tales. Nel was adorable.

Marilyn Miller said...

How lovely to go out for Chinese food. I love Chinese food. That is a great fortune too.

Hootin Anni said...

Hi! I'm here from your comment link at Rose's blog. I would so appreciate the tales of our past ...this conversation of the bear attack would have me on the edge of my seat.

Loved the fortune from your cookie. Chinese food, right now, sounds great.

And sweet, little, precious, Nel. (Is that her name or a shortened version of another?)

stylefrontier said...

the food looks amazing !
seems like you had an amazing time!


I hope you have a lovely weekend ahead

xoxo
style frontier

Debbie Nolan said...

Sheri the Chinese food looks delectable. I haven't had Chinese food since my dear Mom and I enjoyed one together shortly before the pandemic and her passing. She loved a Chinese buffet and always wanted to stop there to dine. Nel's photo is so sweet and I am sure you were delighted to receive it. Hope you don't run into a Grizzly bear. They probably do still have a few around in your area. Take care and stay safe sweet friend. Hugs!

Pam said...

Old photos do bring back some sweet memories!! Nice to have gotten out for dinner with your brother in law. That was nice. The story about the bear is great...not great that it happened but great that by hearing that you can look back and see what life was like back then. Yep, don't wander too far back in the mts lady!! Or carry maze. Thanks for always coming to the blog and saying hi.

DeniseinVA said...

Very cute photo of Nel, lovely to get this particular one back. Very nice to go out for Chinese Food with your brother-in-law and son. Fascinating grizzly story. Must have been scary to have so many around.

handmade by amalia said...

A fun day and the food looks amazing. Hope you don't meet that bear any time soon.
Amalia
xo