Monday, June 21, 2021

Summertime In The Mountains

It's Summertime here, and I've been awaiting each season to see what it's like in the mountains.  Whenever I used to visit my Mother-in-law in the mountains, there was always a distinctive smell in the air that I remember.  Well, I've noticed it more this Summer, and it wasn't as strong in the Winter when I moved here.  But I guess the Summer heat brings out the scents more intensely.  On my way to the creek, I see fields of yellow, and it's lovely.  I did see a strange sight across the street at my neighbor's house - I noticed two big birds flying towards their house, and wondered what they were.  It was a Vulture keeping watch up in the tree while his companion was on the ground feasting on squirrel prey.  Oh my, that was strange to see.  I hear the peaceful Mourning Doves quite a lot in the distance, and they are fatter here in the mountains than where I lived before.  One started cooooing as I'm writing this.  ; ) There is a trail of Quail that crosses my front lawn, and they follow one after another, and then leave under the fence where there is an opening.  I can see why it is our state's bird; they're so funny with the feather on top of their head.  My Spring and Summer cups are the same, and look forward to changing them out for Fall.  I bought a new cup at the antique shop, and the owner asked me if I liked peacocks.  I told her, "yes, but I like what the cup says."   I'm still baking as always, even in the hot Summer days.  Remember the mystery rose that my neighbor gave me to plant?  Well, I planted it not knowing what color it was, and it finally bloomed.  I wasn't sure if it would make it because it was small and fragile, but I guess roses seem to like me, and the first bloom opened up.   It was a nice surprise to see that the color was Peach!  A peach rose symbolizes 'gratitude and showing thanks.'  I'm sending it to my brother to express my deepest gratitude for this house.  I've had workers coming and going lately, pouring gravel on the side of the house, painting the white fence in the front yard, putting in new fencing in the back yard.  They are repairing and improving, and I am grateful.  I'm getting things cleaned up around here for my family's visit this Summer, and Francesca reassures grandma that all is good with her "thumbs up."











































My peach rose in full bloom.





It was a scorcher last weekend, but supposed to cool down this week.   Try to stay cool during these hot Summer days, friends.


~Sheri  

28 comments:

R's Rue said...

I love those flowers and I want some cookies. Enjoy Summer in the mountains. Sending hugs your way.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Betty said...

I was a city girl and spent a couple of summers at my Aunts country home and I mean country. It was hard getting to it, it was in no mans land. I loved it though. I remember how the air smelled and it was so crisp and clean. I miss those days, except having to carry the water up a hill to the house. No water in that house.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Your landscapes are beautiful! The cup is precious. Nice surprise to have a gorgeous rose given by a neighbor. Good photos, you've captured a neat journal of your yard views. Those cookies look perfectly baked!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Isn't that a lovely color for the rose! I bet it smells wonderful too. And how neat to see the quail. We have bobwhites here that are smaller but neat to hear and see. Love seeing the little ones and the fun they are having this summer. Enjoy your week. Stay cool! (and I bake too even when it's hot! I baked chocolate cupcakes for hubby yesterday) Hugs!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hello dearest Sheri! It's always fun to take in the full cycle of a new residence, looking to see what blooms, what animals do during these seasons! Sorry you had to see that vulture do what it does; we often see sweet little birds taken too soon from their spring and summer song by predators. Even here in our suburb, there are enough crows, hawks, fox and raccoons that bring the realities of life too close to home.

But look at those yellow flowers! Enjoy all the wildness my friend!

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
I love how you share all your new sights with us. Vulture's are such different looking birds.
I like the quail photos you shared.
Love, Carla

Martha said...

Gorgeous photos Sheri! I don't like catching the vultures with prey and unfortunately see it too often. I love the fat little mourning doves, they are the sweetest little birds. The rose sure is beautiful, and I'm glad to hear you are getting things done and enjoying your home in the mountains. I hope you get some rain soon! Have a great week my friend. :)

Louca por porcelana said...

Adorable pictures!Francesca is a cutie!Beautiful rose too. Hugs and blessings.

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

You live in a wonderful area, -)) Absolutely gorgeous rose! You have awesome birds in the yard! Delicious looking gingerbread.

Jeanie said...

I love hearing how you are discovering your new environment in each season and all the joys it brings. The photos are lovely and so are those quail. Very handsome birds. I know what you mean about a certain smell. Up north has it by the cottage, too. It's hard to describe but it's definitely there.

Chatty Crone said...

I love the peach color - we love peach here in GA. Love your cup. Love your granddaughter - she will be so excited to see you. Your writing is like a novel - have you ever written one? I can just see how things are - without seeing them in reality. You know I am mean? You describe them well. I am so glad you love your house.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I love your peach rose! That is a nice color! I think the vulchers are weird looking birds. We see them here a lot. I am excited you get a visit from your family this summer! I know you are looking forward to that! The yummy cookies look awesome!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

The mountain air must be cooler for you, Sheri. I know it smells divine and full of happy memories. Fragrances stir so many memories. The chocolate chip cookies look delicious! And your mugs are so pretty and meaningful. The photos of the birds always delight me, but the quail is beautiful. I didn't realize he was your state bird. I know you are looking forward to a visit with your family. Your place is getting spruced up and ready. The peach rose is just lovely for you, my friend. Have a happy day!

Debby said...

I love the quail. Last year or the year before I saw a covey of Quail walk through my backyard - Oh they are a delight.

Vultures are efficient at what they do and if we didn't have them, it would be a mess. I love watching them sore above in the sky, as if they were surfing big waves - catching all the wind currents they fly as graceful as an eagle.

Too bad they are so doggone butt ugly!

Linda O'Connell said...

I like the simplicity in the photos and the joy on your little one's face. You do have an abundance of birds.

Olde Dame Holly said...

Your post is so full of wonderful things I cannot keep them all in my head! I love the peach rose and how kind of you to send it to your brother. What a brother you have! I love ALL of your pictures, and the one where you can just see the feet and bottom of the quail is so funny! It's as if he or she is hiding, or thinking, "I cannot see them, so they cannot see me!" I love quail so much. Those vultures are big birds, very important in the environment but many fear them.

roughterrain crane said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos taken in the new wonderful place.

Billie Jo said...

Oh my! Such beautiful words and photos today! I am so happy to see you enjoying the summer months in your new home, my friend. And, of course, the Magic Kingdom photo made my day! Precious! Stay cool and cozy!

Hena Tayeb said...

It's nice that you are enjoying all the different seasons up in the mountains. We see quite a few vultures around our parts.. waiting for injured deer.

Lisa said...

I loved these photos! I rarely go to the mountains but always go to the beach. I keep trying to get my husband to agree to spending some time in the mountains sometime. He's not a fan but I love the crisp air and wild life.
I'm a sucker for new mugs all the time. I could have too many but I will let one go when I buy a new one so I am not overrun. I will usually find cute ones in a thrift store.
Lisa

Susan said...

Dear Sheri...Oh, so many beautiful photos! I remember quail from Arizona days. It looks like a lovely area you are in, Sheri. I cannot believe how you captured that airplane in one of the scenic photos! WOWSERS. Thanks so much for your many visits to Writing Straight from the Heart and your comments, too. You are the best! Susan

R's Rue said...

How are you my friend? Sending hugs.

Ben A. said...

Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing.

Infinitely Posh

TARYTERRE said...

My heart be still. the peach rose is so beautiful. what a lovely addition to your yard. your mugs are delightful. love them. this move seems like it was good for you. you have a wonderful slice of heaven up there on the mountaintop. hope you have a terrific visit with your family later in the season. Havent been posting or commenting alot cause of my hubbys and my kittys and my health. but i havent forgotten my dear blog buddies.

Pam said...

Sheri, it was so nice to read your post. Sounds like you have found your special home. Pics are beautiful and the color of the rose....love it. You have been learning your seasons in the mountains, that is fun also I am sure. Take care.

nonie everythingsewing said...

We also will have record breaking heat, with a high of 116 predicted for Tuesday. I just super love this post! Your posts are more like a letter from home and I like that.

Carola Bartz said...

I love peach colored roses as well! That is such a beautiful one you have in your garden. And I also like quails - how lucky you are to have them in your garden. Hopefully the cat doesn't get them, especially when they have little ones.

handmade by amalia said...

Love the roses. And your pretty mugs.
Amalia
xo