Monday, June 14, 2021

Father's Day Stories

I guess you could say that I was a "daddy's girl.'  I was close to my Dad and could talk to him easily, and we could share stories of laughter and seriousness.  I was the youngest child of five, and a happy kid growing up, but since I was the youngest, that meant less time with him before he left this world.



It seemed that he took me along with him whenever he had something to do, whether it was on his hunting trips, across the street to water and tend to his garden, or just to the grocery store.



I went to the cemetery at a very young age.  My Dad took me along with him when he went to visit his parents, so I was familiar with the surroundings.  He taught me to be respectful of the grounds, and we used to have small talks there, but in a quiet and still manner.  Maybe that's why today I find cemeteries a peaceful place to visit.





I used to always make him and my Mom homemade gifts.....funky gifts like a pencil holder made with macaroni that he could put on his desk at work, cards made out of colored construction paper, glue, and yarn, and a tie card, with a message on the inside, "here's a tie for a real good guy."  I think my eight year old self liked poems even back then.  ; )



He disciplined me when I needed it, but he never let a single person come again me.  I remember one time I came home in tears after a relative said something negative to me.  I found out years later that he went over to their house and talked and straightened everything out.  



Then, came the frog.  I used to go visit him at his work place when I was in my teens.  His office was right next to the train, so I thought it was a cool place to visit.  He was the "boss," so he could take some time out to chat with me and show me around his work place and meet some of his co-workers.  I remember a frog sitting on his desk for many years, and I loved it.  I have that green frog today, and found a miniature frog through the years to keep him company.  I like to think of them as me and my Dad.


 

Just thinking of you, Dad, on Father's Day.



And sending love to all the Fathers in my family on their special day.

~Sheri 

 

21 comments:

Laurel Wood said...

Sweet photos and memories, Sheri. God bless you as you remember fondly your precious dad.

Olde Dame Holly said...

What a lovely tribute to your dad! The daddy frog and the baby frog brought a lump to my throat!

R's Rue said...

What a sweet post and tribute to your dad.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I have tears in my eyes.

You know, one of the things my dad taught me was how to love nature, whimsy and creativity. His piano playing during my early years influenced my love and practice of dance. His creative work with wood, mechanical engineering translated into a childhood backyard retreat; he built me a proper, stucco playhouse and a water fall constructed from stones, a generator and water pump that created a Yosemite scene with moving cars, a helicopter and boats. I was entertained for hours.

He was an amazing provider and now, my husband mirrors a lot of the same qualities of my father: creativity, loyalty and hard work. I'm blessed.

Chatty Crone said...

You have very sweet and wonderful memories of your father - I am so glad you had all that love.

Martha said...

What beautiful memories, thank you so much for sharing them with us. I was definitely a daddy's girl too. I considered my dad my best friend.

Nellie said...

Lovely blog post! How wonderful that your memories of your father are such good ones! I’ve been lazy checking with your posts, and I’ve missed some lovely ones! Great to have pretty flowers growing where you are now.

Carla from The River said...

I loved this Sheri, you do such a wonderful job sharing your memories. I enjoy that you share photos too.
Love, Carla

Susan said...

That was a terrific tribute to your Daddy, Sheri. You were so blessed to have a very close, special relationship with him. How wonderful! Hugs. Susan

Terra said...

I like your stories about you and your dad. I had that kind of close relationship with my dad. That is adorable that you have the big green frog and the smaller frog, symbolizing you and your dad.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

My Dad and I were close too. He was my best friend and I miss him everyday. I wish he was here now and we could talk like we use to. I am so happy you had a great Dad too! What wonderful memories to hold dear! We were truly blessed! Have a wonderful week!

Marilyn Miller said...

How lovely to have these memories of your father.
I especially love the green frog and the little one you added to represent you. You are very fortunate to have had a father that took the time just for you.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Such a sweet tribute to your Dad, Sheri. Love all the precious photos and the little things you made for him. So nice that you have them and the little frog, too. Missing your Father leaves a hole in your heart, but all the sweet memories and the legacy of all that he taught you lives on. You mention that you are the youngest of five - I am the eldest of five xx. Sending hugs xo K

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

Wonderful posting.

Jeanie said...

I am just so enchanted by this, Sheri. What a wonderful dad and a beautiful tribute. The photos are just darling -- you look so cute! I love the gifts you made for him and the story of the frog is great. I'm glad you still have his frog. This is just a post filled with love and I love it, too!

Louca por porcelana said...

Great and heartfelt tribute,dear Sheri. Father's Day here is in August and it will be a difficult time for me...God bless you.

It's me said...

I was also a daddy’s girl....and the youngest of six....beautiful post...love from me...Ria 🍀💕🍀

RaeAbigael said...

Such a sweet sweet story. I am a daddy's girl too and I enjoyed reading your story :") Always keep safe and stay healthy!

xoxo, rae
http://www.raellarina.net

INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

handmade by amalia said...

I enjoyed this sweet journey down memory lane, Sheri, and the photos of you as a girl are adorable. Another wonderful post.
Amalia
xo

Rajani Rehana said...

Lovely post

Mica said...

What lovely photos to have from back then, and how nice you have these special memories of your dad :)


Hope you had a good weekend! It was a quiet one here :)

Away From The Blue