Monday, December 21, 2020

Orange Pomanders

Hello friends.  Are you enjoying the Christmas season?  For many years, my sister has had a tradition of making orange pomanders around the holidays.  I remember going over her house, and the scent of oranges and spices filled her kitchen.  It was so nice, and since I love oranges, I thought I'd share some with you.

A few days ago, she made some with her grandson.  They had such a fun time making them, and I think they turned out festive and pretty.

I talked to my sister on the phone last week, and she was cracking me up with stories about our childhood.   She took after my mom and is a good seamstress, and she also knits and sews quilts.  She's always busy with her hands.  We remember our mom starting a project in the morning, and finishing it up that same day.  One time we came home from school and found a BIG snowman sitting in the front of our living room.  We wondered how she managed to put it together in one day.  She made me laugh when she told stories about our funky mom.  But some of them didn't surprise me much, as I'm a bit funky myself.  ; )



The orange pomanders are a wonderful tradition that my sister does every year, and I think I'm going to start making these too.  Oh, won't the kitchen smell nice?

I thought about one of my favorite Christmas shows that I recently watched, Christmas Oranges.  Giving oranges is a dear tradition in my family at Christmastime.



~Sheri

22 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning Sheri!

Oh the simple times. Making things such as this should be what we do to keep things inexpensive,keep things accessible so that no one feels left out and it's natural. The smell is gorgeous, isn't it!

I hope you are having a quiet and peaceful week my dear.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

Lovely post;-))

Martha said...

I love the photo of you and your sister, what a treasure. I think making the Orange Pomanders is a great idea, I think I'll make some too. Have a beautiful Christmas week Sheri!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

My hubby and I were just remembering when we got a stocking filled with hard candy and an orange and an apple...sometimes all stuck together! heehee! I have some wonderful FL oranges to eat right now! They are SO sweet! holiday hugs!

Louca por porcelana said...

What stunning photo of you and your sister!Absolutely gorgeous! I saw in some blogs this tradition of oranges and spices,but in slices and going into oven?Is yours this way?I will try it!Your post is lovely as ever. Merry Christmas!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful tradition! Lovely smiles
At the bottom of our stockings, there was always an orange. Making a pomander will be fun. Thank you for sharing your cheer

Hena Tayeb said...

What a lovely tradition. The kitchen must smell divine.
Your mother sounds amazing.. as does your sister.

Chatty Crone said...

What a lovely tradition. I never had those. They look so pretty - love the orange. sandie

Mellie said...

I've never known anyone to make orange pomanders around here. I bet they smell really nice though. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Linda O'Connell said...

Oh yes, an orange, apple, hard candy and nuts in my stocking, nostalgia makes me smile. I love those smelly pomanders.

Jeanie said...

Your mom sounds like such fun. And what joy to share those memories with your sister. I love the pomanders. They were making them today on home and family and I was wishing I had some cloves!

Carla from The River said...

I enjoyed this story Sheri. I make these as well. I do love the traditions to be passed down. And I hope my boys will remember some of ours as they start families.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Hi Sheri, I think the orange pomanders are a lovely tradition! I've always wanted to try making them. I love the little heart one. Love the photo of you and your sis - such pretty girls xx The clay bowl and mug caught my eye, too. So fun to share and laugh at stories of your childhood together. That's a special bond not everyone has. Sending Christmas hugs xo Karen

Dewena said...

This made me miss my three younger sisters so much!

roughterrain crane said...

I have not seen orange pomanders yet. They will bring you a happy time.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

It's me said...

So lovely...Sheri....enjoy Christmas...lovefrom me Ria ...please stay safe....merry Xmas ....🍀🎄❤️🌲🍀

Rose said...

When we were kids about the only time we got oranges was at Christmas. Our mom and dad would buy a bushel of oranges and a bushel of apples.

Rose said...

The orange pomanders got my mind off on childhood memories of my own...I was coming to wish you a Merry Christmas. We are going to our daughters' houses tomorrow. I hope you and your girls get to be together.

Susan said...

Very nice pomanders, Sheri. Your sister did a good job. They DO smell so nice. I wish you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas. May you all be peaceful and happy. Hugs. Susan

baili said...

what a sweet tradition dear Sheri :)

i just learnt you have such a lovely and smart sister who keep herself busy all the time
this amazes me that two sisters can be different as much ,i am talking about me and my own sister ,i am a simple housewife and she is outdoor person ,even her marriage could not restrict her to house holed :)

you both look absolutely BEAUTIFUL in this image :)

wishing you and precious family a Happy love and sweetness filed Christmas !

Marilyn Miller said...

I remember as a young girl how excited I was to find an orange in my stocking. Thanks for the reminder.