Thursday, September 1, 2022

The Secret Corridor

My work as a professor for almost 20 years has been incredibly rewarding, but it has also taken me a very long way from the kind of literature that inspired my love of reading as a kid. 



A few years ago, while living in Georgia, just before Mia was born, I started a story. I can't say for sure how it began to form, but I do know there's something deeply magical about Georgia. Maybe I was inspired by the sweet smell of pine and fresh blooms in the backyard. 


Maybe the lightbulb moment happened as I was watching the fireflies flickering on and off in the dusky shade. 

Maybe it was always there, all along, born of a child's fascination with overgrown moonlit gardens, secret passageways in crumbling mansions, and stone staircases leading to mysterious places.


However it started, the idea started to grow. A book about magic, mystery, travel, and time. Something I would have wanted to read as a kid late into the night under the covers by flashlight.




Writing The Secret Corridor was wonderful fun. The book is about a young girl making her way through family secrets, time, and space, but at the heart of the story is a hard question: w
hat if it were possible to create a better future by sealing off the past—permanently? This question sets in motion a daring operation by a magical rebel order, eventually making its way to a small, swampy town in Corridor County, where Mitch Scarlett lives.



Nearly five years after I started writing the story, a span of time that included the birth of my first child, a cross-country move, a new job, a global pandemic, and many other life-altering changes, I returned to the secret corridor and found myself wanting to stay.



Living in this world as adults, we give so many of our hours to the different kinds of work we do and responsibilities we assume. There is always so much to do in the day. But as I'm getting older, I'm realizing the importance of taking time for things that bring us imaginative joy.





Chapters of The Secret Corridor will be released every Friday to a new website I created for the project: CorridorCounty.com. You can also listen to the story as it unfolds by podcast at Buzzsprout, Apple Podcasts, and Spotify. I hope, if you decide to follow along, that you will feel the same enchantment I felt as a kid every time I started a new book in the fall.


~Nel~

17 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Congratulations! Your photos here are so beautiful, really capturing the essence of the south. And your book website is wonderful, you designed it so beautifully. I have just finished reading the first chapter, and WOW! I literally was THERE at the Fall Festival, with all the smells, sights, and sounds. AND mystery! Surely you will be getting this published? You are talented.

Pam said...

Oh my gosh I am so excited for you. I can't wait to jump over to the blog and read it. I have never gotten into podcast, I am old fashion I like reading. I do listen to books on CD sometimes but I prefer a book. The feel of the pages and the smell of the ink.....however, next best will be your blog. Excited...

Pam said...

Back again....I read about the story and I read the first chapter. Loved it. Will jump back over and read the others later. Great job.

Chatty Crone said...

Nel, I live in GA. Kennesaw area.
Those photos do show the beauty and essence of Georgia.
Made me fall in love all over again - although it is 91 degrees today.
I love your mom!
I will be hopping over to read.
Thanks.

R's Rue said...

I’m so excited.

Debby said...

Good for you. I will go on over and check it out. I bet your Mama is bursting with pride.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Congratulations to finding a path back to your story!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

How absolutely wonderful, Nel! I look forward to following along with you. You are quite the talented writer and I must say photographer as well. Good luck to you as you follow your dreams.

Louca por porcelana said...

Congratulations! Looks great! Beautiful photos.

Marilyn Miller said...

How wonderful! I am looking forward to following along.
Thanks for the link.

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

Awesome thing!

Linda O'Connell said...

What an awesome adventure. I will follow along. this passion was planted as a seed and now it blossoms.

DeniseinVA said...

How marvelous Nel and these are marvelous photos. Thanks for the link. I shall enjoy this, sounds just the thing I enjoy reading.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning Nel! Bravo, you made it happen.

When the voice within you says to write, you must do it, no matter when you get started. But you are correct; we must walk through that portal to get started when we know it's time.

Because of the pandemic, I had to retire three years earlier than I was planning to do. Since that time, I also hit the computer keyboard, finally editing many poems I had written over the course of several year, hoping that I can publish my book.

I will visit your website now. Congratulations!

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Buenas vistas de una preciosa ciudad. Como seguidora de fĂștbol, me he fijado en el estadio.

Carla from The River said...

Congratulations!!!

Jeanie said...

Congratulations, Nel. This is really wonderful. I must get to your other site!