Monday, July 18, 2016

Georgia On My Mind

Hello friends! I have some exciting news to share with you... 



This California girl has hit the road...



and moved to Georgia!



Okay, okay, so as I've been telling all of my California loved ones, it's just a temporary move, but I've been offered a really great position at a top university and I simply couldn't pass up the opportunity! Of course I'll be taking all my dear ones along with me on this journey. So pack your bags...we're headed toward the highway! 




Our first stop is in Williams, Arizona, just an hour south of the Grand Canyon. It was actually my first time there! Williams is a charming little town off Route 66, and of course the Grand Canyon is simply spectacular. Our dog Ozzie thought so too.






From Williams, we continued onto Albuquerque, New Mexico, where we explored the historic Old Town and all its (hidden) treasures.   








From New Mexico we crossed through Texas...




and made our way into Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. I absolutely fell in love with Bricktown! The charming street lamps lit up the bridges that spanned the canals, and all of the riverfront restaurants looked so inviting. I was especially taken with a painting in a boutique window that had the lyrics to my wedding song printed across the symbol of the city me and my husband spent our honeymoon in.  





  
The skies of ArkansasMississippi, and Alabama were bright blue and filled with strange clouds. A witch's hat turned into a heart as we drove along a tree-lined highway.  





We spent our last night on the road in Memphis, Tennesee, which has now become one of my very favorite cities! It reminded me a lot of New Orleans, but with its own distinct Memphis flavor. At the Blues City Cafe we dined on melt off the bone ribs and the hands-down BEST gumbo I've ever tasted! 



Our final day on the road we made the 6-hour drive from Memphis to Atlanta, Georgia (of course we hit stop-and-go traffic in the very last hour of our 5-day journey!). Finally though, we made it to our home sweet new southern home...



Okay, so I was a little tired by this point...ha! Well friends, now there's boxes to unpack and furniture to set up, but I have to admit that I've been a little distracted. All I've really wanted to do is sit in my backyard listening to the symphony of cicadas, crickets, and frogs, while watching the silhouettes of bats swoop in and out of the pine trees at twilight. 



So far, southern living has been as sweet as southern tea. I look forward to sharing our memorable moments with you as we settle into life in the Peach State. 


~Nel~  

28 comments:

R's Rue said...

Love.

Susie said...

Oh sweet Nel, Your family will miss you so much. I wish a happy time there. Be safe. Blessings to all, xoxo, Susie

DUTA said...

Congrats on the academic position and on the move to Atlanta!
Judging by the pictures, and your description, the stops on the road from California to Atlanta were a delight.
Good Luck in your southern home!

Red Rose Alley said...

Nel, I've always wanted to go to Georgia! I love that your and Renecke's song was on the picture frame in the window. And that picture of you spread out on the floor cracks me up. This five-day road trip to Georgia is something you'll always remember. I can't wait to visit.

love, ~mom

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Nel wishing you congrats on your new position and loving your road trip photos. Enjoy the journey!

nuria said...

This is a great opportunity! Everything looks amazing, definitely Georgia is in my bucket list :) 💗💗💗
Besos
www.travelera.es

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

A wonderful adventure! Lovely photos - you really captured the essence of each place! Best of luck in your new home! xx Karen

Susie Swanson said...

Oh my you are in my part of the country, near Western N.C. I wish you all the best in your new journey. xo

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We're all wishing you the very best, Nel! It's a hot time of year to move to this part of the country but I think you will enjoy it! Sweet hugs, Diane

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Lovely journey to your new home, Nel. Good luck to you in your new adventure! ♥

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Congratulations on your new position and thanks for taking us on this wonderful journey.

Enjoy your time in GA, you will love it there.

Mary

janice15 said...

How exciting.. Thanks for sharing the trip. I wish you the best... With love Janice

Susan said...

Oh Nel, you are off on an adventure! Enjoyed the photos of your trip to Georgia. Your Mama will miss you, that's for sure. The best to you in your new job. Sounds exciting. Susan

Merlesworld said...

Hope all goes well what a exciting new adventure.
Merle..........

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOW! Congratulations!!!! I know what it's like; we moved from L.A. to Boston to go to school then after my husband earned his Ph.D, we moved from Boston to Minneapolis where he was offered his first teaching job. Nel, this is wonderful! You will love the experience of adjusting to a new culture and working in a totally new environment. I know you've worked hard for this. BRAVO!

LoveT. said...

Congrats Nel! You are great!

Lovely Greetings from Vienna

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

You traveled through my part of the Country! Texas!
Welcome to the South Nel, you are going to love the food, the sweet Southern accents and the sweet people too.
Congrats on your new position!
xo
Jemma

Karen said...

I enjoyed your road trip photos! I know you will love Georgia, where I was born and married and raised kids. In just hours, you can get to the beach or the mountains. Congratulations on your new job!

valerietilsten59.blogspot.com said...

A great road trip to your new destination.

I'm singing 'Georgia' while reading your lovely post Nel.

I wish you both all the best in your new home and your new post there in Georgia.

You'll be experiencing the southern hospitality.. as they say.

best of luck.. you have lots to do.
Val xxxxx

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Dear Nel,
Wishing you the very best in Georgia, and in your new home.. Great post! Love the photo of you on the floor..
blessings,
Penny

TARYTERRE said...

new beginnings are always nice. I wish you all the best.

a writing place said...

Wishing you well, with your new job and home!

Kim said...

What a fun trip! Welcome to Georgia! Check out the Varsity as soon as you're settled. The aquarium is beautiful and you must go up to the mountains when city life gets to you. Plenty to do here!

Carla from The River said...

Congratulations, Nel!!
Fun times ahead!! Exploring all new things.
Can not wait to hear more.
Carla

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Nel, I'm so excited for you and your family on this new journey in your life. Wishing you moon lit nights and beautiful sunsets in your new home ♥
Hugs, Jody

busyandfab said...

So nice to read your move and the detailed road trip. Can't wait to read your incoming posts about your life in the South.

www.busyandfab.com

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Oh best of luck in Georgia! It is definitely different than California for sure! Enjoy!

Lowcarb team member said...

Wishing you well as you settle into a new home and new job ...

All the best Jan